Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carrera Panamericana

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by foolthrottle, Oct 22, 2012.

1. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  2. Are you lost ?

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Jason from Hot Rod Garage is down there with the Groendyke's '49 Cadillac race car and they crashed it into the side of a mountain...hit a boulder and ripped both front wheels off...then rolled it...it's totaled...$250,000.00 down the drain. He's sending me pics and in-car camera footage when they get back...shit happens...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

yes

5. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

This year looks to be really hard on the equipment

6. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

7. One of our '54 Ford Club of America members,Carson Scheller has driver his 1954 Ford in the Carrera Panamericana 8 years in a row and the past few years his daughter Lauren his been his co-pilot.

Carson's own words,

We're on our way....the 25th anniversary of the historic la Carrera Panamerican Mexican road race / rally . 3000kms over seven days thru the Sirrea Madre Mountains of central Mexico w/ all unlimited speed sections
    . This will be the 8th year in a row for our 1954 Ford car #433 in original class.
    There are several other '54s in different classes .

giddy up , Carson

[​IMG]

Lauren is post a blog to keep us updated,,

www.lscheller.blogspot.com

All of us on the '54 Ford Club of America wish them success. HRP

8. Fecoffin

Fecoffin

Here are some photos of the race. This is Grogendykes caddy before the race. It was pretty tore up last year but he was able to finish all 7 days of racing. He is a good guy that runs hard. The Studebaker belongs to a good friend of mine. 8 cars of the first 30 missed that corner so they closed the speed section to the remaing cars. He was 5th overall before they came in a little to hot. Luckily no fatalities in this wreck but there were some borken bones. They thrashed on the car all night and have been racing it since. In 2011 I navigated for the 64 vette.

Attached Files:

9. Fecoffin

Fecoffin

Here is the corner. you can't count how many times you see the skid marks and wonder if they made the corner or not.

Attached Files:

10. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Carson Scheller,s car is a good example of a well built car. Somebody told me the motor is built 292 y block with a 3 speed and gear vender

11. Yes,,,292 Y block w/ 230 hp. HRP

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those have to be some well built cars for no one to have had more than a broken hip in that mess.

13. foolthrotle you're not lost just a might confused. :D

The panamerican race is as old school as it gets. Always been a deadly race, just driving in Mexico can be deadly if you don't know the ropes.

Does anyone have a map of the route. It used to run on the PanAmerican highway, right past where I lived.

14. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

sorry to hear about Pauls Stude, it was so shiney and new.

15. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

I'm not lost,I'm right here, wherever here is.

16. Well here is sometimes a big question. The server is in Texas, you are where you are I am where I am and this page can be at anyplace in cyborspace at any given time.

Ulike some others on this board I think that the Race is as down home grass roots racing as it gets and we should embrace it as much as we do B-Ville or Half Moon Bay (sorry fellas I'm Nor Cal ;)).

17. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• map.JPG
      map.JPG
      File size:
      54.1 KB
      Views:
  18. 1953girlracer

1953girlracer
    from Redlands

I was lucky enough to be a start line tech inspector at World Finals this year and met and talked to the guys quite a bit since they made many runs. Great vehicle and great team. I am sorry the car was totaled.

Those guys proved a point about what a vintage car could do and still have fun and get the most out of a vintage vehicle and the most out of life.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

19. Yep still goes past my place, actually both of them. ;)

Thanks

20. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

When you think of some of the participants over the years, Ak Miller, Clay Smith, Mark Dees, Carol Shelby ,Leningrad Cowboys, etc.

21. Some of todays participants will go down in the books as well and be well spoken of in times to come. A lot of repectable rodders and racers have challenged and been challenged by the Race over the years.

22. Those guys don't race, they just drive between parties, right?

[​IMG]

23. I would say this race is very traditional,,it began in 1950 and ended in 1954 due to the presidents declaration that it had become to dangerous ,27 people had died during the five years of the Panamericana.

The race was revived in 1988. HRP

24. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

he isn't, but you are.

charleyw and falcongeorge like this.
  25. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

27. I agree ... especially considering that there are currently 115 other threads on the H.A.M.B. discussing La Carrera Panamericana cars, drivers, & races (both past & present) ... including several Blogs by Ryan & Jive-Bomber ... and not one of these threads has been closed for being Off-Topic!

28. agtw31

agtw31

one of my customers ran a fairlane a few years back ,and he wrecked on that same corner.

29. 15ASedan

15ASedan

Here's some info on the 1954 race.
    The rule book has a map on the cover
    http://www.bakerracingpix.com/1954-la-carrera.html

30. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Don't you just hate it when your Porsche is upside down going over a cliff? You could get your gold chains caught on something or spill your Perrier.