Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Coker's...Bring Back 60's US Royal Masters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tom davison, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

What did most of the top customs of 1963 have in common? Well, according to the '63 Custom Car Yearbook (and my memory) they all used these unique, futuristic tires.

Introduced in 1959, the US Royal Masters featured the very first narrow whitewall, beating Detroit by two or three years. With their radiant ribbing on the black part of the sidewalls and extended curb-protective rib surrounding the white part, these things were downright exotic (and expensive). That's why they were the choice of Winfield, Stuckey, Starbird, Cushenbery and Farhner, who used them on the Jade Idol and Solar Scene, the Eclipse and the Matador among many others. In fact, there were 24 other cars with Masters in that Annual, which stands as the definitive publication on customs of that era.

[​IMG]

2. 49SUPER6

49SUPER6

I would buy a set or two. Perfect with the Skylarks I want to run on my 55

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  3. customcory

customcory

My dad always use to say they would last a long time and they were expensive and good tires. It was the tire to have.:D

4. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Those things are sooo crazy looking. I'd buy 'em, too. I've seen a set of two for sale over the past year, not for too much money, but, probably not in great shape, either. I'd run some new ones, for sure. I think I'd need the rest of my car to be up to snuff, first though. I can't see a finishing touch like that, with that much audacity, on my unpainted, underfunded Ranch!

5. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

That is so cool. Now I have to do a early 60s custom to put on the set I want to buy!!!

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's a better lookin tire here in the shop as we speak...Dayton Thoroughbreds. They have a checkered flag look in the sidewall. I've never seen them before. These are 3" whites but who cares. I want a set now. Those tires above are also a truely bitchin look, but these Daytons...I'll have to try to get a really good shot of em. Too kool.

7. RDR

RDR

had a set on my '49 Fleetline in '61...great tire then...can only hope the remake will be comparable. I am sure they won't be affordable, but then as I remember, they never were.!

8. thesupersized

thesupersized

i really hope they come out with these

9. twochops

twochops

Had a set on 57 Ford,the rubber was so hard that when
    pavement was wet even taking off slow they just spinned.
    The hardness of the tires,tire installers always complained
    about putting them on the rims.-------TwoChops

Attached Files:

10. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

So, hold on a minute,is this thread saying that Coker's are bringing these tyres back, or is this thread requesting that Coker's consider bringing them back?
    Paul

11. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I think it's a request for them to repop them.

I always loved the look of the sidewall edge.

12. Eryk

Eryk

Where's the petition? Where do I sign?!

My favorite tire of all time.

13. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

14. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

that would be nice to have a set

15. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Yes, it's a suggestion to Coker's. Also, I was curious about how much awareness there is about them now. A bit, it seems.

16. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

Boy's and Girls hold on to your short hairs and get ready!

Russ Meeks of "RM Engineering" and the boy's of Adams Hot Rod Rubber / HURST RACING TIRES are bringing back the good old day's very soon................We have been working on this tire for over a year, and Russ has been brewing up the idea for quite a long time.

I will be starting a new thread very very soon. So look out and remember you heard it first on the HAMB

By the way we are on our 4th prototype and this aint no BULL:D

Its happening!!!!!

Cody "HOTRODRUBBER" Adams
    HURST RACING TIRES

17. I worked on getting COKER to make a tire once. From concept to final DOT inspection and delivery was two years. Can you give an "about" time frame when we can hope to purchase some??

18. correct me if i'm wrong but didn't U.S. Royal go out of business because of a law suit over their tires being bad? my dad worked in a tire shop when i was a kid and i seam to remember that being said.

19. 54metalman

54metalman

This is some really good news. Glad to hear it Cody. Tell Dad hi for me and please keep us posted. Cant wait to see it!!!

20. S.F.

S.F.

I have a nice original set of US Royal Masters, they were on a 34 Ford show car in the 60's. They are really cool tires.... Glad they are bringing them back...

21. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Any progress updates on this deal ?

22. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I have one that had a very cool whitewall with a rectangles and says us royal master near the rim in redline. I want a set of these.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  23. thesupersized

thesupersized

any updates on this???????? the early 60s style fans need these!!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  24. 1958 IMPALA

1958 IMPALA
    from CA

ttt

25. 1958 IMPALA

1958 IMPALA
    from CA

ttt

26. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

27. Still LOOKING and HOPING and PRAYING for new repop US ROYAL MASTERS.

28. toneron2

toneron2
    from Michigan

I have a set of 4 that were on my dad's hot rod '60 Corvette. I took pictures and sent them to Coker May 7, 2004. They said:

"Tony, these are great looking tires and we would love the opportunity to build them for you. However, to design a new mold and produce a tire we would need a minimum order of 500 tires. If you place the order, you could probably make a good amount of money selling the rest of them off. Unfortunately, we have not had enough demand for these tires to warrant building this many. Building fewer tires would drive the cost up to the point that they wouldn't be affordable. Should you decide to place the order, we will be glad to get started on them for you and hopefully have them produced by early next year. If we can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact us in the future."

Can we get 500 orders together?

29. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

I know its a old thread but just was wondering if anything came to be regarding this style of tire?