Register now to get rid of these ads!

It was stuck now it's unstuck!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crashfarmer, Oct 21, 2012.

1. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

A couple of months ago I finally thought I had enough time to work on my 59 IH. I went out with a battery and found that the engine was stuck tighter than Dick's hatband. :( So I pulled the plugs and sprayed PB Blaster in all the cylinders. I let it sit a while and worked it back and forth. Finally I got it to move a fraction of and inch. I sprayed Fluid Film in all the cylinders. and kept working it back and forth over the course of the last couple of months. Spraying Blaster and Fluid Film alternately and working the engine back and forth a fraction of and inch. I finally pulled the radiator so I could get a socket on the huge front nut and I got it freed up! :D I haven't got it running yet, now the carburetor is leaking like a sieve but at least I have made some progress.
    [​IMG]

2. Tons a fun, don't give up till it fires.

3. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I have spark. I think I'll have to pull the carb apart and give it a little love. It's a Holly one barrel.

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

5. a friend of mine bought a 41,000 original mile 57 chevy a couple years ago. the car sat in a huge collection since 1984. it was stuck tight like yours. i did the same thing you did. got it freed up and started. runs like a new car. so keep going, it may run great.

6. RAG66

RAG66
    from WASHINGTON

Funny thing is it will probably run like a top. I have seen so many that spin over and never light off. Fix spark, fuel, air, timing, etc. and NOTHING! Then there is the famous "Ran when parked"....:confused: Why did it get parked?

7. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I guess I just don't see how it's off topic. :confused:

1. It's a 1959 so it fits the year specifications - 1965 or older.

2. I plan on doing something different with the front - Not sure what but I never have liked the headlight doors on these. This one actually has the 57 -8 bezels the 59s had quad headlights. So That should classify it as some kind of custom.

3. I would think that unsticking any old engine would be of interest to quite a few people on this site. I have gotten quite a few of them free over the years but I'm still very interested in hearing what method somebody else uses to free a locked engine. I might want to try their method on the next one.

4. I might even try a multiple carburetor setup on this. I doubt if you can buy one but I have another complete 1958 so I have been toying with the idea of welding it up.

[​IMG]

Here is the 1959 IH as you can see it's not a tractor. I'm not talking about my 1940 M Farmall which I would consider OT.

8. db300

db300

Looking at doing the same with a frozen 413.....love to hear if she fires off!

9. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

good luck, hope it runs for you

10. cryobug

cryobug

After soaking the cylinders for a while with some PB [SIZE=+0]B[/SIZE]laster, I have used my compression gauge hose, attached to my air compressor and a cylinder that is on the compression stroke[SIZE=+0],[/SIZE] broke free the stuck motor and kept moving the hose until I make a full turn.

11. indyjps

indyjps

Trans fluid and acetone. Penetrating fluids have been discussed many times here. That combo has tested much more effective than PB. Hope it goes well.

12. 1950heavymetal

1950heavymetal

yeah buddy, nice work! You'll have it running soon!

13. ATF and Acetone, just like indyjps said.

Works like magic!

14. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

old guy told me one he put a breaker bar on the front pulley and hung a weight on it and lubed up the cylinders. came home from work a couple weeks later and the breaker bar was pointed downward. engine freed up.

15. didn't know that. put them in at the same time?

16. BabbitBeater

BabbitBeater
    from Colorado

Good to see you bringing the old power plant back to life!

What ratio of ATF and acetone? or do you alternate? How much per cylinder?

17. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

50/50... i always heard diesel fuel and atf, but i bet acetone would have more eating power

18. Cool trick, gotta remember that one. I've had great luck with MMO and letting it sit for a week and reapply as it started to move. Maybe I've never had a really stuck one yet....

Bob

19. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I was talking about freeing engines with a guy that restores old motorcycles a couple of days ago. He uses acetone to clean the rust out of gas tanks before he coats them. Now he is going to try this on a motorcycle he just bought with a stuck engine.

So I take it that the acetone eats the rust away and the trans fluid lubricates it?

20. i know a few guys who are into old hit/miss stationary engines and they all just pour coke into stuck engines, they reckon it works overnight. i've never had an engine stuck that bad so i've never tryed it for myself.

21. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Supposedly Coke® is used by their own mechanics to clean some parts on company trucks. It is also purported to remove road tar and other annoying stuff on paint. Ask your dentist about its power to remove enamel.

22. yeah i know how bad it is. my folks used to run a general store and every now and then they'd go into the store room and there'd be a stack of empty coke boxes and a puddle of coke on the floor, when they asked the rep about it he told them that the cans have a coating on the inside but if one gets a pinhole in it and leaks the coke will dissolve all the other cans in the box and any boxes under it.:eek:

23. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

My buddy had a '59 3/4 ton that had the quad headlights. An old City of Athens (Ohio) truck that was school bus yellow. Man, we had a blast with that old truck, it seemed unbreakable...just reminiscing. Good Luck with yours. :D

24. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I love old trucks with old engines. Yours looks cool and the non- big three quotient is off the charts. I think it fits the HAMB perfectly. Keep us updated.

25. radgirl

radgirl

I dunno. I didnt think so. I got thread deleted cause Im rebuilding a butchered Merc without any trims etc. I have cancer and will be a bed builder for a while and asked for some ideas of how to make trims while out of action without much tooling? Guess I should have put it in more technical terms. Google some big technical words for stuck and unstuck? I will google some for Make trims from bed. Lets see how we go?

Glad its turning over. Hope you can save it without too much trouble.

26. AG F/C

AG F/C

FYI That is a model 1904 Holley. Good little carb if maintained.

27. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

I think your truck is butt ugly, but who cares what I think?
    Maybe turning those head lights upside down would help, I bet those guys on the photo shop thread would be glad to help.
    Good luck, have fun!

28. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I would definitely like to do something different in the headlight area. I was wondering how it would look with 56 Ford headlight bezels. I have an extra set of the plain ones. It might look a lot better with the existing ones turned upside down though, I had never thought of that.

29. wallyringo

wallyringo

it seems like the only engines i can afford have a frozen this or that. I like this threads i learn allot. Good luck with your truck.