Register now to get rid of these ads!

Suggestions for Nash Metro Engine Swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrFalcon62, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

Alright, so after hearing about the shortcomings of the original austin 4 banger (and being reluctant to do anything with the datsun banger the PO installed in the car) I have decided that I need some suggestions on possible engine swaps for my wife's '61 Nash Metropolitan.

Please keep in mind that she doesn't want a street demon, just something to cruise in...with a little kick, though.

I was thinking of something along the lines of a dual carb 4 cylinder, and she has to have an automatic transmission. However, I welcome any and all suggestions you may have.

Thanks, Guys

2. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Ford 2300cc. Don't know what kind of tranny you can hook up to it, tho...

Chris

3. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

Toyota 22R from a pick up.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. G'day, My wife has a 1961 Nash Metro in turquise and white. It has original engine and transmission. I have been thinking about going with a 60 degree GM v-6. The 93 to 96 Camaro had a sweet little 3400 available with a 5 speed behind it. Would made a sweet and easy swap for the metro and would be quite cost effective too.

ms

5. 117harv

117harv

3rd thead on this car? Yes the 22R is a great choice, that or a Ford 2300. Lots of aftermarket parts for both, several choices for trans. also.

6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Early S10 4 cyl, Automatic...

7. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

Yep, 3rd thread. I just bought it, and I'm looking for suggestions.

Thanks

8. 117harv

117harv

It wasn't to give you flack, I just thought it would be better with all the info in your first thread so they know what and where you are going with it, that's all.

They are cool cars despite what some may think, I drove a friends a few times, the stock shifter comes out of the dash. I dont think the car needs hundreds of horse power, a decent running 4 would do just fine. I mentioned the 2300, as I raced a dirt car with one, and they can be made to go with little work.

9. pinto motor!!! Or since you'll have to do frame work you might as well put a "small" v8 in it. I'd put a 273 or any other small block mopar with a 904 or 727 behind it.

10. AMC V8, to keep it in the "family"...?

(Just had another thought, how about one of those Pontiac Tempest 4 cyls?). I'd look long and hard at bellhousing sizes before you make your decision, too.

11. 41woodie

41woodie

215 Buick/Rover

12. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

Like most British cars the Metro has a real short engine bay and small diameter tunnel opening at the firewall. Unless yiou want to do a ton of cutting the bellhousing diameter and engine length are important to consider.
    If you want to do some wiring and fuel system work something like the Zetec Focus engine can be swapped to rear wheel drive with available bellhousings.

13. barstowpo

barstowpo

SHO v6 with a manual.

14. PackardV8

PackardV8

Be prepared to do some work to make it handle and stop. The Nash/Hudson Metro was among the worst handling post-WWII US cars I ever drove.

jack vines

15. How about this............

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I would have to put a Datsun "L" series motor. 2.0, Offenhauser Dual Port intake and a Weber. good motors. 510 people do all sorts of crazy stuff to them.

17. jalopy45

jalopy45

Seeing that the engines in these cars were Austin engines, why not find a rusted out wrecked MG or MGB with a twin carbed engine and and sometimes optional automatic or 4 speed and also swap the disc brakes and wire wheels if so equipped. It would all be a bolt in with no adaptors needed.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  18. 31Apickup

31Apickup

That wagon is a bigger Nash, not a Metropolitan.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I suggested a Pinto 1600 on one of your other threads on the car but I'd stick with a small 4 banger at any rate.
    A 22 r with automatic out of a Toyota pickup as Mazdaslam suggested would be dead nuts reliable and make the car faster than she would want to drive it.
    Having had one of those things in my misspent youth I can vouch for the fact that they don't handle worth squat.

20. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

What's wrong with the Datsun engine? I think a lot of commentators have no idea how small the engine compartment is and how small and light the car is.

I am trying to think of an engine that may fit, being around 1500cc, rear wheel drive and automatic transmission and I'm not coming up with anything. All cars that small went to FWD 30 years ago. That leaves light pickup trucks from Japan and they don't use an engine small enough. Is there such a thing as a 2wd Suzuki Samurai?

An Austin Marina engine and trans from the seventies would be the easiest being nearly identical to the original but where will you find one?

21. Okay, so put a smaller blower on it! :rolleyes: :D

22. Guess it depends on your definition of "fit"... LOL

[​IMG]

23. Clik

Clik

I agree. Buick/Rover 215. Small light V8 with plenty of after market HP goodies available.

24. wisdonm

wisdonm

The Met is basically a MG-A. Therefore, the easiest swap is an MG-B engine. Using the MG-b 4-speed trans or 4+ OD would also be simple. Superchargers are also available.

Call Dick at MG LTD (414-529-3200) for all the info and parts that you'll need. He's done all the engine swaps on MG including the 215 and 4 liter+ Rover (auto and 5-speed).

25. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

I've seen one with a Chevette engine and trans, automatic, no cutting needed.

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Traditional hot rod forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.