Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1953 Dodge Pilothouse Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ford Mike, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Your rear fender idea is a great! It really ties the bed together with the front. Dodge shoulda done it 60 years ago.

2. Thanks! I was kinda hoping that it would be something the average joe would overlook.

I messed around with the front a bit after I got the other headlight mounted. As for the other smaller lights (parking lights but I'm going to use them as turn signals) I have been thinking of what could be done with them. The buckets they mount on were in pretty ruff shape. I couldn't rationalize paying a ton for a new set of them and besides I really don't even like the way they look. Instead for the time being I think they will get carved up in order to mount the lights directly to nose.

The picture is pretty much how I want them to sit...

[​IMG]

It looks better than stock look in my opinion. And a side shot, it always bothered my that they stuck out farther than the headlights on the stock setup at least now they're a little better. :)

[​IMG]

After taking the pictures I started to tear the front clip apart for metal work and paint. More to come!

3. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

the rear fender with round lip is an interesting idea.. looking forward to seeing how it looks with the cab bed and front fenders to see how it flows.

4. Over the weekend I tore the front clip apart and sandblasted all the little parts. I never realized how much of a pain the nose would be because of all the little bolts that hold it together. The inner frame structure is all painted and bolted back together.

[​IMG]

Now we just have to work on the rusty dust on the nose/fenders.

[​IMG]

While I was on a sandblasting spree, I also did most of the cab...

[​IMG]

Goodbye to my first flame job!

[​IMG]

The cab is surprisingly clean and solid it just needs to get hit with some 80 grit to smooth out all the roughness. And that is what I will be doing today! :D

5. skull

skull

'' I never realized how much of a pain the nose would be because of all the little bolts that hold it together.''

hahhahaaa, that's why l didn't pull my nose apart :eek:

have you decided on how much top chop?

what is the plan for the body paint? fake patina or a bright red paint job with some cool flames?

how low are ya planning to drop it?

measured the bumpers: my front bumper is 5" off the ground, rear bumper is 9'' and almost everybody says the rake is perfect.

please keep the pics coming.

really liken' this build:D:D

Later :cool:

6. Well skull, haha I can't tell if you're messin with me or not. The truck is 3" lower than stock in the front and stock height in the rear. I may try a chop next fall if I can find another windshield section or cab to use as a donor. The truck is gonna get tore apart again for paint, we're just thrashing to get it on the road this summer with some good old epoxy primer covering it for now.

As for the final color... I've been looking at alot of pictures and I have a few I like. Maybe I'll take some ques but I don't want to directly copy anyone's ideas. I have something in mind but I think I'll keep that under my hat for awhile. You're welcome to toss any colors around that you think would look good tho, my idea isn't set in stone. I may be young but I promise I'll keep it old school!:)

Attached Files:

7. NikkypDMC

NikkypDMC

My buddy used the same dash for his 31 ford model A woody.

8. Brewpubeaver

Brewpubeaver

Very cool project:)

9. Thanks guys! Its been a real long time, so it's time for a lil update...

The bed is on, and the floor is lookin good!

[​IMG]

And I think somethings different with this picture...

[​IMG]

Well hopefully the cab will find its way onto the frame soon. Other than that the only major body work is the front fenders and nose. Oh and I'll update this more frequently too!

10. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

11. Thanks alot man! I didn't realize how crappy that shot of the bed is but it's hard to back away from it since I'm in pretty cramped quarters

12. Found my way to the u-pull it on friday and I found a pretty awesome seat... And it just happened to be out of the same truck I got the dash from earlier in the thread!

[​IMG]

The colors are just what I was looking for (kinda blue-gray, my camera sucks tho) and now I dont have to worry about making a seat cover for the old seat! And for some reason you cant see that stain in person it only showed up when I used the flash to take a picture... I dont know what thats all about.:confused:

Oh yeah and the spot lights, I always wanted some and I was fortunate enough to stumble on a truck that had a pair with the handles. Needless to say I had to get 'em. They may look goofy on the truck but I dont care they're cool!!

13. Color anyone?

Attached Files:

14. I like the blue, looks very nice. Spotlights are cool too.

15. The cab is back on the frame and all the windows are in. The windshield is new but the back window and corner glass are old.

[​IMG]

We also ran the engine for awhile with the radiator all hooked up just to see how it ran. It sounds alright considering this was the first time it was warmed up in years.

16. Testin some different rubber out and checking out how my fender idea will look again. Needless to say, for me its a keeper!

[​IMG]

17. Thanks alot man. Hopefully the spotlights will make their way onto the truck, its hard to find a place where they fit through on the right angle and wont hit anything

18. Little update. (Without pictures... because I fell on the camera)

I pretty much finished the patching on the nose except for the bottom corner on the passengers side.

We got a lokar shifter for the trans to. It took a little head scratching but it seems like its good to go now. Plus it looks great!

The master cylinder and the gas pedal are the major hangups at this point. I asked DanBabb what he used and I think we will be going the same route. Also Im still stumped on how to mount the tail lights. I really want to use '52 buick units but there aren't many options for under the tailgate.

Is anyone even following this anymore? It almost seems like I'm babbling to myself. Oh well until next time...

19. I'm watching and waiting for the maiden voyage.

20. skull

skull

still following along, real curios to see how it turns out.

the blue looks good:D

Later :cool:

21. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

Subscribed a while ago. Great build, good work. I really like what you are doing. That's what makes these old trucks special...when you do the custom things that set it apart. Keep up the good work. Post pics when you get a new camera. I ruined my camera: by taking it out to the garage to take pics while I worked on my truck and with the dust, heat, etc it has stopped working. :eek:

22. Thanks for the kind words everyone, I just had to check and make sure anyone was still out there. I was beginning to feel lonely on here haha!
    Nothing new to post but I did find a pic of a real high point for me. I managed to get me glovebox door signed by Gene Winfield! It may not that big of a deal for everyone but I was sure excited. Hopefully other signatures will be added if I meet any other icons in the future

ImageUploadedByTJJ1347763362.860605.jpg

23. as fast as you are getting this project done, it makes mine look like I am in reverse.......:D. Great Job, keep up with the updates!!!!!

24. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

cool build dude. sumthin a little different

25. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

I like this build and I'm really interested in the outcome of the rear fenders. I have always thought these were the ugliest trucks ever made, but some of the ones I've seen here are changing my mind.

26. The cool factor on your truck makes mine look like your grandpas dodge. By the way I thought about the 56 dodge grill bar idea awhile ago and seeing you pull it off made up my mind, I'm gonna go for it when I find a set!

Nothing major for updates but I did find out I can post pictures from my phone, which is great because I know nothing about camera shopping!

I was playing around with the dash today for a little bit trying to do something to make it cooler looking/ not stock. I came up with just putting the gage bezels in backwards, I think it looks pretty good considering what I had to work with.

ImageUploadedByTJJ1347828184.522931.jpg

I won't be using the stock speedometer because the gages will be the sw ones in the middle. I believe I found a stewart Warner speedometer that style that is electronic and 5 inch.

I also need the stock bezel for the middle cluster if anyone has one they would sell!

27. I must have thought up 50 different ways to do the tail lights and rear but none of them really clicked. Finally after staring at the truck for a good half an hour tonight I made up my mind and started cutting on an extra tailgate I had. So after the dust settled I finally had it. It's going to need a lot of refining but the plan is to make it look like it was stamped and make it look like it could pass as factory. Enough babbling...

ImageUploadedByTJJ1348103286.966330.jpg

28. NikkypDMC

NikkypDMC

exact same color as my dash! Looks good brother!

29. Thanks alot man! I believe the color is close to sunoco blue. I know its a fleet color anyway

30. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

cool...looking good! more updates soon i hope.