Register now to get rid of these ads!

Law of Averages....If you hit enough garage sales....It WILL be worth your while

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hellerlj, Sep 8, 2012.

1. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

As in so many things, garage sales
    fall into that catagory, you got to
    kiss a bunch of frogs before you
    find a prince !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The extra paint that has
    been splashed on both sides
    of the sign should clean off easily !!

Attached Files:

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Great stuff! I like those thermometers.

3. speedfreek155

speedfreek155

4. ryno

ryno

Soooooo how much did ya pay?

5. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

Good for you. Nice pick.

6. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Nice! I cleaned out a hoarder's house in June and found a couple of 7-UP thermometers and bottle openers.

7. Cool thermometers. Shame they only go to 120. We go higher than that here (not kidding) :(

I'm a huge garage saler. Last week, I bought about 25 odd shaped different tinners snips and shears (Wiss, snap on,ect), plus a whole 5 gallon bucket full of 1" to 1.5" drill bits, for $10. Anyone need a few thousand I beams drilled? :D

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great score! That makes up for the 100 or so tag sales with nothing but Lil Tyke toys and glassware. Bob

9. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

paid what the guy was asking....was it too much ??? No !!!!

was it less then it should have been ??? Yes !!!!

thanks everyone for looking

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Arizona, where summer spends the winter and Hell spends the summer.

11. As they say, one mans trash is another mans future trash. Kidding aside, good finds.

12. burnout2614

burnout2614

Now do like I do and pay way too much for the next cool thing you find! peace

13. Yep, been in the 105 to 110 range this week here. Friends up north are laughing. They quit laughing when they see me in shorts and a t shirt in December. :D

14. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

That wiper thermometer is cool!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  15. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The wife and I hit a lot of garage sales, she is looking for raw materials for metal sculpture and I just look for tools and auto related stuff. I don't get lucky very often (other than a small Craftsman metal lathe last year for $100). Today we hit the mother lode, an old Sioux grinder mounted on a heavy former light pole for $10, a decent vise mounted on a truck wheel for $25 and several other tools for a buck or two each. No picture but a two by four piece of 3/16 plate for a couple of bucks too. That made up for the dry runs we have made in the past.

Attached Files:

16. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Nicely Done!

17. bb1970

bb1970

I'll give $13 and a cold beer for the GMC sign. :D

18. Great stuff! I just saw one of those 7-UP thermometers on a PBS program called(I think)Antiques Warriors. They were designed by the artist Peter Max back in the early 1970's.

19. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

good score man. i got a band saw on the cheap last year 4 houses away from me lol. there are deals to be had !

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the show is called "Market Warriors". it was not by Peter Max after all. the guy that bought / sold it did an interview with Peter Max in the website for the show.

good show if you like flea markets and antique shows. it's also good if you like pretty blondes who talk funny. meet "Miller", she's one of the buyers on the show. I think I love her.

Attached Files:

21. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I went to a garage sale in Buffalo last year and bought:

Two '40 axles with spindles
    two complete sets of hydraulic brakes
    a nice open drive toploader trans
    a few pairs of UGLY split bones
    4 early ford radios
    4 stromberg 48s and a couple holley 94's
    a '57 ford windshield
    a pair of wide 5 wheels and 3 16" 41-48 wheels
    and a few large boxes of misc early ford parts...

...all for less than I've spent in years gone by for a ripping night out at the pub.

It was a pretty good sale...:D

22. oj

oj

I'm not really into that stuff but i was in this guys shop that was packed full of odd stuff and layin in the bottom of an old wheelbarrow with some tire chains etc was an old porcelin thermometer, probably 2' tall - porcelin - with the mercury still in the bulb etc and at the top it said "Keep your car all Tucker" and the bottom it had a message about using only Tucker parts.
    It was just layin there waiting to have a piece of junk thrown on top of it. I didn't even try to get it from him, he never sells anything. He's got stacks of the plastic tubs that sherbert comes in, hundreds of them. probably every mayonaise jar he's ever emptied is in there somewhere.

23. sololobo

sololobo

Hip stuff dude, the 7-up clock is part of the Peter Max influence 7-up used. rock on~sololobo~

24. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

I would pay twice that :D

25. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I seriously would love to be a picker. I love going through old stuff.

26. daddio211

daddio211

Wife and I just had a yard sale this weekend. Didn't sell any tools or car stuff, but watched $20,000 of stuff leave and put $1500 in our pockets. Lots of home decor, kids clothes, vintage furniture, couple hundred Hot Wheels, etc. Most of it well used, but in good shape.

Rough to watch it go at that much of a loss but it was taking up room in the garage not getting use or love.

And now we have $1500 to go hit everyone else's yard sales, LOL!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

27. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

I have the Trico version of the wiper blade thermometer. Bought it and a Bowes Seal Fast painted sign (both in unused condition) from a swapper at Back To The Fifties about 20 years ago for about what it now costs for parking and admission to any of the bigger car events ... those were the days !!

28. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

South Carolina girl and love the drawl from the deep south

29. bigdaddylove

bigdaddylove

I love the GMC sign.

30. Thanks for the clarification 49;I didn't go to the website so didn't hear about that. Looked a bit plain for a Peter Max piece. I have a bunch of his posters from the 70's and you can definitely tell they were done by the same person.
    What really amazed me about Peter Max was when I saw him on the Tonight Show many years ago.Johnny Carson asked him to do a demo of his artwork and he pulls out two markers and starts doing a symmetrical design on a board using both hands at once! And the finished product(which took about 30 seconds to do)was a fantastic piece of art.