Register now to get rid of these ads!

chevy II 153 four cylinder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junior 1957, Oct 21, 2012.

1. junior 1957

junior 1957

i have looking to buy a chevy II four cylinder for a couple of years. found a nice one at the chickasha ok swap meet this weekend. it didn't have an intake or exhaust manifolds. i checked offenhauser and clifford but they no longer carry them. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are some nice Mercury Marine valve and side covers floating around for those and you might find a marine intake but the boat exhaust won't work.

A lot of forklifts have/had a larger version of that engine and you might check with forklift shops that work on Hysters for the exhaust manifold. They ran gas or propane and I'm not sure what the intakes were like.

3. bob1940cab

bob1940cab

PM sent.
    I also have a complete marine version as a spare.
    Bob

4. I think the industrial engine had an 8 port head while the Chevy II had siamesed intakes.

Charlie Stephens

5. Truckedup

Truckedup

I have a fabricated sheetmetal intake dual carb for the 153 Siamese head that's on the car engine.Also have a stock exhaust manifold with a slight issue...Price of a good steak dinner,PM me if interested.

6. 396skip

396skip
    from MN

I had new stock exhaust manifolds made few years back, still have some for sale.

Six Ball likes this.
  7. young olds

young olds

Six Ball, 1Nimrod and 6inarow like this.
  8. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

If you are looking for Clifford items your best bet is to get a print catalog or call them on the phone .

9. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Here are some pictures of what I'm doing. I started with an Offenhauser 3x1 manifold. The 153 is 2/3 of a 230 Chevy 6 and port spacing is the same for the ones it has. I'll build an exhaust header using flanges for 6s sold on eBay. You use the front set as is and cut the single port from the back set and weld it on.

100_0810.JPG 100_0812.JPG

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    INVISIBLEKID and Atwater Mike like this.
  10. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the ideas. I have a couple of these and was wondering what to do for an intake. Mine are actually the Mercruiser variety so I am still looking for a rear sump oil pan and pick up. Is there anywhere to find those? Sorry to semi hijack.

Six Ball likes this.
  11. I bought one from my local Chevy dealer. That was about 30 years ago. It was designed for the step van application so that might be a lead.

Charlie Stephens

Six Ball likes this.
  12. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to be able to go to dealership and get new GM body parts for my OT 68 Camaro too. That was 22 years ago. I will try the dealership but not to confident.

13. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Ebay is a source for the stock land vehicle parts.The marine variants can be found using search terms such as : mercruiser 120, mecruiser 2.5,mercruiser 3.0

14. I really didn't expect you would have too much luck at the dealership but I thought that the lead about what they were used on might be helpful. Any chance someone bought up the obsolete Chevy parts and is selling them? You might check with some of the Chevy guys.

Charlie Stephens

15. PackardV8

PackardV8

I had a 2x1bbl marine version out in the boneyard. The intake is water heated, so isn't too cool looking for a rod.

jack vines

16. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

I built this 181 a few years ago for my T that had the 153 ,sold the T the other day so this needs a home. The 181 needs a entirely different manifold setup than a 153 ,8 ports and much bigger.

Attached Files:

Six Ball and Turbo67 like this.
  17. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The rear wheel drive 151s (Iron Duke) pans will fit. The early '80s YJ Jeep pan is rear sump. I don't know about the S10s.

UPDATE: Some 151 pans may fit but the ones with a one piece rear main seal will have to be tweaked.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022

18. That there is plain cool!:D

Six Ball likes this.
  19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I have heard that the 151 cross flow heads will fit but they have small poor port design and thin castings that doesn't allow much porting. There are at least three 181 heads. One of the 8 port ones uses 2" intakes and 1.60" exhaust valves. These things are 2/3 of a Chevy six. Pretty much what works on a six works on a four. And there is a lot of interchange with some small blocks. 6 & 4 rods are slightly wider than V8 but use the same bearing. 153s use 2.0 181s use 2.1. Mains are the same. My 153 has a 181 crank and rods. 181 rods are hard to find cheap. They are not all the same. When they went to one piece rear seal a lot changed. Isky makes cams. Mine was ground by Erson just before they moved. Aluminum intake flanges for 6s are for sale on eBay. Use the front two. Get two DCOE mounting plates a a foot of tube and build a duel Weber set up. Grab The ECM and harness from Sunbird and run EFI. Lots of options and at least one source is talking of making some new stuff.

20. junior 1957

junior 1957

i like what you have done with the intake manifold. i picked up a mercruiser valve cover off ebay, i saw a couple of rear sump pans on there as well. its good to know that the later 2.5 oilpans will work.

Six Ball likes this.
  21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Here's my head. Lump ports,1.86" intakes, 1.60" exhaust, 70cc chambers, and ported. The work was done by Tom Lowe. He said it should flow about 250 cfm and with flat top forged Ross pistons and zero deck CR will be 9.5 to 10.0 to one.
    100_2137.JPG 100_2140.JPG

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  22. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Yea, I wasn't going to share that until I rolled the car out but we all know who did it.:p It's ready now to send to my son and have him TIG it up for me. Crap, I'm surprised no one here ever pays attention to my posts. I thought I was on a black list.:eek: A friend in Reno has a 2x2 Mercruiser intake that he is cutting all the water stuff off of. It may work.

23. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Here is my full race injected chevy II in my midget.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. good stuff guys....thanks....

25. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I would love to see that midget in action. Did you build the injection set up? What timing cover is that? Does it drive the water and Oil pump? Are there dividers in the intake ports?

26. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

The injection setup is from EVM in the 60's. EVM is now called Ron's injection in Texas. The front cover is also from EVM. The Injection is no longer available but I believe the front covers are. The water pump runs off the crank and the fuel pump runs off the cam. The fuel pump is from procon. I am using a stock oil pan and stock pump. There is a tri-drive front cover to run an oil pump for a dry sump system, but for vintage racing it is just not worth the headache. Each intake runner from the injection manifold is an individual runner with its own injector.

27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Some L6 guys put a divider in the head to separate the siamese intake ports. I was wondering if you had done that. There doesn't seem to be agreement on how well that works. Do you know how much HP your engine makes? What kind of RPMs do you see? Thanks

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  28. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

29. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't mean to sound as sarcastic as that came across in my earlier. Sorry about that. Thanks for the great information on the pans. Does the oil pump pick up tube work as well or am i on my own on making that work?

30. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Sarcasm? What's that? There are different pick ups for the different pans. They use the same pumps as the 6s but I don't know if a 6 pick up will work. It is probably too long. We need to check that. They use the same timing gears as the 6s(way back) and the same timing covers as the later 6s. 194-292