Register now to get rid of these ads!

Air bags question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rocknrolldaddy, Oct 20, 2012.

1. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

As I've been gathering parts to bag the Dodge, I ended up with 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch air hose. I picked up 3 different lots of air suspension parts and haven't decided what size air lines to run. I have 8, 1/2 inch valves that are like new and want to run but I've noticed how violently vehicles with 1/2 inch lines go up and down. That cant be good. How limited are my options with out having to buy new valves? I'm on a tight budget.
    Thanks

2. 48fordor

48fordor
    from York, PA

In industrial applications we restrict the flow rate to slow down the device. You could run the smaller lines with adapter fittings and that would slow down the delivery rate of air. You can also get adjustable flow regulators. For releasing pressure, when the air vents to atmosphere, you can get adjustable air mufflers to make the pressure bleed off slowly. Look around the http://www.parker.com site (industrial air and hydraulic supplier) or talk to your local supply house for industrial air/hydraulics.

3. your going to get shut down. i tried to ask about air bags and they shut me down. said its not traditional

4. JakeDW

JakeDW
    from Missouri

Sould be ok under the custom flag NO?

5. I like air ride, every thing looks better lowered, but you need to raise it up to drive it.

6. ryno

ryno

Run 3/8 lines into your 1/2 valves. Yes they maybe too fast,but you run online slowdowns and slincers with slowdowns on the drop too. Ideally 3/8 valves would've been better,but use what you have or find a mini trucker that wants them.

7. so 3/8 is best? why not use 1/4? too slow?

8. tjelwood

tjelwood
    from oklahoma

Just run 3/8 line with your 1/2 inch valves that's how all mine are done

9. ryno

ryno

1/4 will be too slow,and finding fitting that go from 1/2 not to 1/4 tube will be more expensive. The 1/2 fittings are about twice as much as 3/8 stuff. But you have them so use them. Get the push to lock type fittings in brass too.

10. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I'd use 1/4" line. The valves probably have 1/2" pipe thread. Just put bushings in to take it down to 1/4".

11. why would you use the 1/4 instead of 3/8

12. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

Why not use the 1/2in or 3/8in line and mount some manual ball valves before the fill valves and after the dump valve so u can dail it in to your personal taste.

13. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

Like these.
    [​IMG]
    Once you set it, you can unbolt the handle so u won't have to worry about moving it or the handle being in the way

14. Weasel

Weasel

Well you can stuff this under their nose if they close the thread - good luck with that....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. 117harv

117harv

^^^all you want to know about bags can be answered using the search function.

To the OP, a quick search on thread titles with the words (air bags) brought up 4 pages, this question was answered a half dozen times in the first page. Traditional or not, there is alot of info here on bags, doing a search will give you lots of answers.

16. "thats a show rod not a traditional rod". they shut down that thread too.

17. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Easier to run 1/4" line. It takes up less room and will bend to a smaller radius without kinking. Bag systems on semi tractor trailers use 1/4 or 3/8 lines on bags that are 8" to 11" diameter.

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Run 3/8" lines. 1/4" lines will be too slow.

19. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

As others have said, mount a ball valve before the inlet valve. For the dumps, install plugs with a small hole drilled in them. If it's too slow, drill the hole bigger.

20. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

Thank you fellas, the manual ball valve seams easy to do and inexpensive. I think I've seen them at Lowe's. I went to a salvage yard today, and saw 1/4 inch air lines on modern vehicles. I've seen them work and I think they're too slow. I used the search function for the last two days, and didn't find the answer 'till now. So I appreciate all your input guys. I'm going from 1/2 to 3/8 inch line, which works out great cause I already have the fittings to do that. And manual ball valves for exhaust lines.

21. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

How did your work? Did they fill and dump less violently than the straight 1/2 lines?

22. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

The manual ball valves can work the same as flow regulators and air mufflers, right?

23. ryno

ryno

just buy the right stuff made for the job, ball valves are for sprinklers...
    check out his link. it will have your lift slow downs and dump slow/silencers. i bet you'll have less money in the right shit, then buying adapters and such for the ball valves, and less fittings= less leaks.

http://store.gaugemagazine.com/valvedumpcontrols.aspx

24. tjelwood

tjelwood
    from oklahoma

Mine don't dump violently at all, I'm just running 4 valves two for the front and two for rear one fill valve and one dump. But I am gonna go to two valves per corner eventually due to the fact it has a lot of body roll when cornering. Talked about doing just haven't done it yet as I am in the process of redoing the rear suspension on my car and getting it to set lower to the ground.

25. Redheadedlefty13

Redheadedlefty13
    from Avon, Ohio

thats what happened to my build thread

26. Old Heap

Old Heap

I have two air ride vehicles, both run 3/8 valves and line with no issues. I slow down the dump by drilling a tiny hole in a brass plug inserted in the dump valve.

27. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

28. They get shut down usually when the "air ride experts" get pissy.

As for the question you can run 1/2 valves for volumn then next then down before the unit. This would also apply to air lines in someone's shop so if someone is reading and wanted to know how to plumb the shop there ya go.

29. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

What are these?

Attached Files:

• IDK.jpg
      IDK.jpg
      File size:
      100.6 KB
      Views:
  30. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

If you use small line, you will be buying adapters on both ends Bag side and valve side alot more chances for leaks, but the line is alot easier to work with.

I bulid my own air mufflers by drilling a very small hole into a pipe plug, you can slow down ANY size line and valve combo. I have a full 1/2 set up on my 53 everything is 1/2 inch: bags, valves and line.

you can regulate the pressure and slow the lift and reduce the size of the muffler hole to slow down the drop. I run 145psi in my system and yes its fast, but I can also run it at 120psi and its alot slower all with the same system and my drop is always slow.

Just food for thought. and bags are traditional.
    Godspeed
    MrC.