Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speaking of Winfield carburetors...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 270ci, Oct 13, 2012.

1. 270ci

270ci

I bought a few Winfield model S updraft carbs in the sixties, rebuilt one and ran it on my A banger back in high school. I found the leftovers from then while cleaning out a parts area in the shop.

Anybody have an idea what they're worth? Basically there's one complete carb and one for parts without a float bowl assembly. Still has copper plate under the tarnish and grunge.

If anyone has a good use for this, please pm me.

Attached Files:

• win1.JPG
      win1.JPG
      File size:
      390.5 KB
      Views:
  2. You probably have $200+ worth of parts there.

Wish I could make an offer (I've been looking for a second Winfield for my speedster project)- unfortunately, no sheckels in the coffers :)

Best of luck!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  3. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

Value depends on condition and size. A model SA or SAA may be worth only $15-$200, an S-C or SD is worth twice that. Yours is a model S but you must read the numbers stamped on it to determine the size.

4. The plating you see is bronze rather than copper. It's fragile - most Winfields I've seen are stripped down to the potmetal, so be careful cleaning it. I would imagine having the original plating adds value.

You'll want to make sure the parts are matched. Updraft float bowls cannot be used in a downdraft configuration & vise-versa. The throttle bore casting can be flipped either way - look for a U or a D on the float bowl serial number.

For example, your number may be SBD-1123 (model S carb, 'B' size, Downdraft, serial 1123) or SAAU-5432 (S carb, 'AA' size, Updraft, serial 5432.

As mentioned previously, throttle bore castings can be flipped either way for updraft or downdraft...just make sure the throttle bore size corresponds with the size (A, AA, B, BB, C, etc.) of the float casting. Matched 'set's are pretty pricey.

5. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

I left out a zero on my post above, should be $150-$200. 99 cent stores and dollar stores have a cleaner called Awesome that is quite mild and will clean your carb quite well if left in it overnight.

6. 1952henry

1952henry

I don't think Pine-Sol would be too harsh, either.