Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 drag truck build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mat Thrasher, Jun 5, 2009.

1. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

matt what brand of oil are you useing? i have owned solid roller in all my performance motor most in the 700 lift range never had any issues, would like to hear why . old story cheap is never good for anything ,but doing it twice . good luck. mark

2. deto

deto

this thing is ruthless

3. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Me either but I'll be the first to admit I'm not a motor guy. What better way to learn about anything, right?

Mark, I can't remember right now, but I do know it says the "Green Oil" on the bottle. Like I said I'm no expert on motors and run what my motor guy gives me. The cam and lifters are Comp. What do you run in your motors? How many miles do you put on a set before you change them out? From what I'm reading between 5000-7000 miles. And you're 100% right about being cheap. But I thought I was cheap everywhere else in my life so I could spend more money on my truck. At least that's what my wife tells me.:eek:

4. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

thats funny i hear the same thing ( wheres the flowers ?)cam motion is cams i use those guys always give my stuff that make 40 hp over shelf cams, cant remember rite now but will check for you. i put 177 1/4 @1/8 mile passes total probably 5 k street miles , did drag week 11 broke rear end but motor stayed together with no issues turned 3200 rpm @ 60 miles an hour. i use champion oil brand 20/50 it still has zinc in it . rollers like it.

5. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

On my 55 with a BIG solid roller, I just turn the motor over once a week to make sure a single spring doesn't get killed. So far so good.

6. 1arock

1arock

Comp now makes a pressure oiled solid roller lifter that should be more durable on the street than the old style. Isky also makes a pressure lubed lifter and they are kinda pricey. Also I have a bIg comp hyd roller cam and lifters for a bbc I'm gonna sell, I think it's a 304 magnum. I decided to go with a solid roller to rev a little higher with my little big block. Badass truck you have there, and look at my sig when folks say you over built your chassis.

7. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Thanks Shakey, that's makes a lot of sense.

Flowers what are flowers?! Cam Motion, I'll check them out. I could be wrong but isn't the low RPM that kills solid rollers? I'm running 3:50 gears and 30" tires. I'm only spinning about 2500 at 60. Thanks for the tip on the oil.

I'm definitely going to look into these. I thought about a hydraulic roller, but I like to spin this thing. From what I've heard hydraulics are only good 6500 max?

Thanks for all the advice guys.

8. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

so the wife NEVER GETS FLOWERS!!

9. servi53

servi53

kick ass work and results, awesome build

10. Avgas

Avgas

Mat, great stuff, this ride has some Wang !

11. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

bitchin. thats a bad motha f right there

12. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Oh Hell YES!

13. Cshabang

Cshabang

you owe us an update haha

14. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Sure, but I don't have anything too exciting. I got it running again in July. I did a photo shoot this summer, for a possible shot to be in Car Culture Deluxe. Just boring stuff like actually driving it. :)

This winter I plan on doing some kind of exhaust. I love driving it but it does get old having to wear earplugs and not being able to communicate with the passenger at all. I'm planning some sort of caps on the headers then wrapping the tubing under the cowl, then on back. Like everything there's no room for it. I've got some ideas how I'm going to do it, so stay tuned. Truthfully I don't even care if it's quieter I just want the sound behind me. Maybe I'm just getting old!

Also, I'm doing the Revolution in 2 weeks. The wife and I are trailering it 24 hours straight through to Austin. I can't wait!!

15. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

congrats on the paper on the truck !! good to hear its under its own power. mark

16. willymakeit

willymakeit

Just stumbled onto this thread. Awesome truck and skills. I haven't read everything yet,but I'm curious as to what the wheelbase is?

17. Hurley808

Hurley808
    from Honolulu

Thanks alot!!!!!!!! Now I have to add another car to my "must have" list!

18. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I have the answer to this dilemma. Sign language! I could give you a couple pointers at the Revo. ;)

Can't wait either! It's gonna be a good show this year.

19. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Thanks, I think it's around 115".

20. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

No way. Talk about irony. :) It'll be cool to have someone to sign with at the show.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

21. Well Mat,

A great big pre-welcome to Austin:D.

Your posts have been great.....nice ride you have put together....look forward to meeting you at the Revolution.

22. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

You are bringing that fine automobile here?! AWESOME!!!

23. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Thanks, Skotz I've never been to Austin. I really pumped to get to meet everybody and check the city.

Yes sir, we're heading out 1 week from today with my truck in tow. Are you bringing the coupe out? I want to check that bad mofo out in person.

24. ryno

ryno

just came upon your thread here, great work!
    not sure of your route south to Austin, but if you come down 44 threw Joplin mo, I've got a extra bedroom for the night if you and wife want to stop. pm me

25. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Ryno, thanks for the invite. But we got do a a straight through drive. I'm out of vacation days and the wife only gets 3 personal days.

26. I'm calling for a DW vs. Mat Thrasher Match Race!!! I can hear it now... Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!:D

I must be day dreaming though, because something that good could never happen in real life! Two of my All-Time Favortie Hot Rods.

27. ryno

ryno

no worries man,if you change your mind or need anything let me know.

28. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I'm out of here. Hopefully well be in Austin in about 24 hours.:)

Attached Files:

29. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Be safe..............Dave