Register now to get rid of these ads!

Major cluster - I think I may be sick...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buzznut, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Buzznut

Buzznut

Long story short, I relied on the "expert" at the counter for advice. I bought 4 new wheels from Wheel Vintiques and before I sprayed any color I asked the auto paint counter manager if I need to reprime or scuff the wheels before I paint them and he said, "no, just use wax and grease remover, get them really clean and shoot them".

You know where this is going... I painted them, had the tires installed and went to put them on the truck and noticed that when I hit a stud on the backside the paint just came right off. Apparently I SHOULD have scuffed and even reprimed them. $50 in paint, $40 in clear and 6 hours shot...PLUS $120 to have them mounted and balanced.

I feel ill over this...

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yeah, scuffing at the very least is what needed to be done. Ouch ! :eek:Those wheels might have even been powder coated, mine were when I got them from Coker.
    Don

3. birdman42

birdman42

Well now you know,and knowing is half the battle.

4. Buzznut

Buzznut

I'm probably going to wait until the paint blows off.... I'm pretty pissed that I got such crappy expert advice.

Here's what they look like currently (temporarily I guess):

[​IMG]

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If they are powder, a red scuff pad, then wax n grease remover, then paint. Apply your 1st coat with about 25% more slow dry solvent so it bites into the powder coat. Another option would be to do the prep, then use an adhesion promoter (like Bulldog or similar, most come in aerosol cans), apply a light coat and follow the label directions for flash time, repaint. If you clean the living shit out of the tires, you don't have to dismount. You can tape and paper them and refinish (my prefered method anyways).

6. When I got mine from Vintiques I had them powdercoat the wheels before they shipped them. Worked a lot better than me trying to sand and paint them. Plus I'm a bit lazy.

7. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Powder coating is the way to go... Been very happy with mine and the local PCer charged me $25/wheel. Sometimes there is nothing better than dropping them off and picking them up... time is money.

8. fleetside66

fleetside66

When you have a wheel powder coated, does the rim ever scuff when the tires are mounted? Or, is it generally tougher than that? If so, do you touch it up with paint?

9. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

$120 for mounting and balancing? That's harsh.

-KK

10. X2, what the hell? get them blasted clean and start over. find a new place for the mounting and balancing.

11. Them puppies get more expensive every day !
    Last thread they were powder coated, now they've been painted.
    Nobody paints over manufacturer primer without a scuff first.
    120 for a mount and balance ? ? Was there a tire machine in the titty bar or something?

12. Bigger shops use a clamp mounter that wont scuff the rim.

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Moon discs.
    Then forget.
    Much better than despair, alcoholism, suicide...

14. I may need to get all my cars remounted and balanced :D

15. I clean and prime everything I paint. HRP

16. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Should have asked here on the good 'ol HAMB first. :)

17. Rob68

Rob68

Look around. There is a mom and pop tire shop around the corner from me and they charge $2.50 a tire to mount and balance. A little more if you want the flat weights.

18. If it's any consolation, that's a beautiful color :eek:

19. 94hoghead

94hoghead

Yeah it is, Great color!

20. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Muuhahahaha!!! Now there's a business venture! Naked wheel rotation!! Topless tire mounting!! Extra snail snot, of course!!!

:D :eek:

21. boooooob

boooooob

Come on:eek:, I live in Jefferson City, MO........... $12.50+stem ,,,$13.+0 total is as low as it goes here, I wouldn't trust a $2.50 job.......................:D

boooooob

22. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

hummmmm titties.........

23. bob cutler

bob cutler

me to i like the color!

24. A Rodder

A Rodder

x3.....

25. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

It seems that every time I ask an experts opinion, and it's different from mine, the expert is wrong. Carbs, paint, motor building, it doesn't matter. Ask questions, but always go with your own opinion. At least you've only got one guy to get mad at when it doesn't work.

26. Buzznut

Buzznut

Yeah, with chrome stems and internal balancing it came to $118.37. This is California, nothing is cheap. Even good 'ole Les Schwab wanted $17.50ea and $5.99 per chrome stem, but they couldn't do it on my lunch break.

These weren't powder coated from Wheel Vintiques, just primed. And if I could have gotten that color in powder coating I would have definitely gone that way. Thanks on the color BTW...I can't wait to have the whole truck sprayed green.

And nope, there wasn't a decent looking woman anywhere to be found the whole 30 minutes I was there.

27. dubie

dubie

no matter what you're painting, you should always give the surface some "tooth" for the paint to grab onto. In the case of wheels, some 800 grit or a really thorough going over with a red scotch brite pad works nicely. I usually put 2 light coats of rattle can filler primer over the scuffed surface just as insurance. It adds a bit more of a porous surface for the paint to settle into.

28. What color is that ?
    Name , code, YMM OEM application whatcha got ?

29. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

Doesn't look that bad.

30. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Me too!......dig that color!