Register now to get rid of these ads!

Redlines on aluminum slots?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cakes, Oct 16, 2012.

1. cakes

cakes

I know that the first year for redline tires was 1964, would it be appropriate for a mid 60s styled truck to have redlines on aluminum slots?

Also, does anyone have any pictures?

2. gtowagon

gtowagon

I think so the only problem is that most of the redlines available are not tall enuf to fill a big wheelwell

3. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

More of a muscle car thing,..but it's your ride whatever gives you a throbber..

4. KUSTOM 50

KUSTOM 50

I like the idea, Love them on torq thrusts

5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Me too. Did not know they were since '64. They will be on my '66 Mercury.

6. bigdaddylove

bigdaddylove

Lol, I was just thinking about this for my truck last night. But, as previously stated, I didn't see anything tall enough; I only checked Coker, though.

7. Check Diamond Back Tires. Thats who I used for mine (off topic ride). Might be DBTires or something like that here on the board.

I think they can do nearly any size.

8. Redlines and chrome slots would be what I remember from the 60s ;)

Didn't know they came around in 64---I've always thought 66(GM factory option in 67, goldlines in 66) I've learned something today :)

9. Squablow

Squablow

No reason you couldn't dye the white stripe of a regular whitewall tire to red if you can't find the size you need or if you don't want to pay the incredible cost of new redline tires.

Someone on the board has a mid 50's Ford pickup with redlines on Foresight Venture Drag Mag wheels, I liked it, very much a mid 60's look.

10. ... welp back in the day .... (LOL) I did redlines on TTs (front only) on a 56 bel air ... looked bitchen. Us poorboys used keel to turn the white-wall red, just have to stay on top of it.

11. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

What is "keel" Sam?

12. slammed

slammed

Would look fine. And some colors (paint) looks killer w/redlines. Think Hot Wheels too. Shiny black paint w/polished slots-redlines. Greens always look good w/redlines.

13. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

Red line's on mags look beautiful. You should go with it.

14. cakes

cakes

Coker makes a 28" tall redline for a 15, with the right amount of drop I think it should work, The size is 235/70R15

I'm still hoping for a pic or two

15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Not in my neighborhood. We all liked red line tires but it was hard enough to save up for the aluminum slots. Nobody in my neighbor hood could afford red lines for them. Maybe a show car that was trailered from show to show but for the average hotrodder, there were other things to spend your money on. Gas comes to mind.:D

16. There was a DEEP Ruby Red '32 in TRJ some time ago that had red lines and (I think) Astros that looked fantastic. Don't see why you couldn't do that with Ansens, etc.

Might try some simple photoshopping?

17. outlaw256

outlaw256

got no pics but i put redlines on al. slots back in the 70s. wasnt lookin for a certain look just liked the tires. and damned if it didnt turn out lookin pretty cool....but it wasnt on a truck .

18. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Man... I hadn't thought about this combo... but I can SEE it!
    I've got 5-slots on my '61 Suburban, and am running 235/70/15s on the truck now.
    I've got 7-inch slots all the way around, but just picked up a set of 8-inchers... was going to put two in the back, and keep the shallow ones up front.
    I bet it'd look great with shoe'd with redlines.

Of course, I'll need to rebuild the front suspension first, since tires have become the expendable service part...

I've thought real hard about running Thrush aluminum side pipes on the 'Burbon too, which would REALLY give it that late-'60s/early-'70s look.
    Along with a 10-ft whip antenna bolted to the quarter panel for the CB radio...

-Brad

19. Cerberus

Cerberus

"Keel" is a wax crayon lumber yards used to mark lumber. Came in different colors. I didn't know about keel back then. Instead, I painted the white walls on the tires with red enamel modelers paint. Looked great at first, then, about once a month, I had to redo it. Couldn't afford the real deal. I want to say that the real red line tires came with one or two red stripes back in the late 60's. Choice was yours.

20. You got it! Keel works and Pep Boys also sold a color stick. Like Tommy said Any exxtra money wasnt gonna go towards the real deal, it was going to be better spent ... so I do not recall anyone getting static about going the poser-route.
    I think Gold-lines also came out about then but they were not a very big hit.

21. cakes

cakes

redlines were 64, prety sure goldlines were 66 and bluelines were right around that time too

22. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Thanks for the info. :D

23. bigdaddylove

bigdaddylove

This is the closest I could find:

[​IMG]

24. Deuces

Deuces

Me 2!!!.....:D

Attached Files:

25. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That's what I ran on my '57 Chevy in high school in 1966! I couldn't afford to toss my good blackwalls, so got a red tire marker stick from the parts store and just spun the tires to make a redline on them. Looked great, but needed a touchup every couple months to stay bright.

26. Can't say I've ever seen it and judging by the flood of photos coming into this thread I don't think I will.

It don't sound right especially on a truck. Redlines look good on Torque Thrusts and factory rally wheels.

27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

60's truck with 60's mags and 60's redlines. makes sense to me.

28. slammed

slammed

[​IMG] This combination would look great on a lot of rides. The OP has the right idea. Example: Dark green Uni body Ferd w/a moderate lowering, polished slots and redlined tar's. A candy blue '62 SWB Chebbie w/ those Cragar/redline combo. A Pagan Gold Rivera? Oh hell yes.

29. ^ ^ ^ That looks like a '67 GTO and the redlines look good on the SS's! ^ ^ ^

30. cakes

cakes

Well My truck is a bright blue 57 gmc thats hopefully going to be back on an original chassis soon, should be lowered about 3" front and rear

FOUND ONE PIC
    [​IMG]