Register now to get rid of these ads!

new generator,62 chevrolet?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B.A.KING, Oct 16, 2012.

1. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

i have called myself looking,but where besides ecklers late great chevy can i buy a new generator? or is there any place? also checked rockauto and local napa. after they quit laughing they also said no. it would be a good time to change over to alt, but man i hate electical work.i always screw something up when i'm doing electrical stuff:mad:

2. Window Licker

Window Licker

I just swapped my 62 chevy over to a 1 wire couldnt be easier, i just used the stock brackets. Plus its hard to screw up one wire

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

3. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

lol yeah i guess it is hard to do with one wire. did you use idiot lite,or volt guage?

4. 61TBird

61TBird

Look for a local shop that can rebuild yours. That is if you still have it....
    I had a shop rebuild mine and have been VERY happy!

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

B.A. where have you been? Go with an alternator. Its a no brainer.

6. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

If you don't run a bunch of electrical devices ( stereo, phone charger etc.) staying with the Gen is ok, have it rebuilt. You are probobly going to pay more for the rebuild than you will for a new alternator, conversion bracket and plug and play harness. Its not tough at all to swap over and there should be a ton of info on here, stovebolt, tri5 and other chevy sites.

7. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

well that old generator has been on that baby for about20 trouble free years.coming back from a show on sat and it was so loud i thought it was a throw-out bearing going bad. stuck the old screw driver on it and nope its the gen. used to go thru those things like crazy when i was younger and had a high winding 283. not quite as wild as i once was lol

8. scrubba

scrubba

B A, if ya don't mind calling Arlington Texas , there's Antique Auto Supply on Colorado Lane . If Stacey aint got one on hand , Call Bob Reams at Reams Auto Electric . Bob was a previous president of the National Vintage Chevrolet Club of America ........

scrubba

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought 62 Came stock with an alternator while 61 still had a generator. Maybe you could get a 62 either way like you could on some Fords for a couple of years.

O'Reilly's shows parts for both alternators and generators for 62 Chevs so they did come with either.

10. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

thanks for the info.

11. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

you know i called oriellys,but i asked for a new generator. didn't think about asking for parts.old age i guess. i used to rebuild these things on a regular basis,think i still remember how to.lol

12. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

If it were mine I'd just buy new bearings, and replace the brushes while I was at it.

13. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

well the generator was TOAST, so i'm going to MAD ELCT.(?) and buy their ALT-1 kit and hope i don't burn the el camino down. gonna buy the guide to lol. man i hate wiring!!!!!!wish me luck.

14. Lowrie

Lowrie

I just replaced the generator in my '60 Belair a few weeks ago, got it at Napa. Part#:RAY 2137001. It was around $105 without core charge.

15. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Rebuilt units are on evilbay all the time, got one for the '57 for $50!
    Works great, looks great! Always replace the regulator @ the same time, and don't forget to polarize it!
    KK