Register now to get rid of these ads!

Small block Chevy guys...what do I have?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrModelT, Oct 15, 2012.

1. MrModelT

MrModelT

Hello fellow H.A.M.B.ers!

My tastes are normally drawn towards the earlier pre-war stuff....so needless to say I really don't know SB Chevy's all that well....so I need some help.

I inherited this SB Chev after Grandpa passed about 10 years ago. He had it built in the late 60's or early 70's and had it stuffed into his '66 Shelby G.T. 350 (yes...a Chevy SB in a Shelby) for a period before replacing the original 289 and selling the Shelby. The engine has been in this crate since then (either '83 or '84). It was a runner when it came out.

I know he had paperwork for exactly what was in it, but sadly we have not been able to find it. Knowing my grandpa though...it was the best money could by. I think the heads are 202s but that is as much as I know.

It has been a tool stand for the most part in my garage for 10 years now and I doubt I will ever get around to doing something with it and its not really my "bag" so to speak.....so I think it should go to a good home.

So school me guys...what do I have hear and what am I looking at as far as value is concerned?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. there are a set of numbers on a pad on the block just behind the left cylinder head. also a set on the heads by the valve springs. those numbers will tell you what you have.

all i can tell from here is that it has early heads and early style manifold.

3. Model T1

Model T1

What you have there, my friend, is a small block Ford engine. I know, I've seen millions of em in Fords since the dawning of time. Looks to be a good one. Those valve covers and other stuff are worth money even if the rest is not. I'd drop that in your 26 T and go cruisin.

Seriously, don't sell it. Put it in something and enjoy the memories. :D

4. Ford 289 Hi-Po aircleaner >>>>.

Deuces likes this.

5. what is the # on the Back of the Engine Block
    where the Bell housing goes
    that will tell you what Block it is

just my 3.5 cents

6. The heads are clearly 462's and the 462's you have have the 2.02" valves. Those are good heads and work very well even though there are better aftermarket ones out there.

Deuces likes this.
  7. model T1 that is the crazy's thing I have heard
    in a Long Time
    since when did Ford put the Dizzy in the Back
    of the Engine?

8. 7009 Speedpro pistons = 3.48 stroke /4.00 std bore. Nice job o-ringing the block >>>>.

9. robber

robber

To me it looks like a 327 cu in camel hump engine... either 194 or 202 heads... early to mid 60's ;)

10. Model T1

Model T1

Those are the special Ford engines to go in Fords. My 41 Ford and 39 Ford have that same setup. It keeps the Ford guys from getting electricuted when they work on them. I'd say this model Ford engine is one of the best Ford made but I don't wanna start any crap! Ford started using these back in early 1955.
    The numbers on that pad at the front right of the block should give all needed info except for those 2.02 heads. Fords also used them stinkin Holley carburators so there's another clue.
    The front right side of the block appears on the left here.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  11. It also appears to have an Edelbrock Torker intake.

O-ringed block??? I don't see it.

12. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

is the head gasket ... its still on?....:cool:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  13. If the block has been decked those numbers will more than likely be gone.

Also, the heads would be mid 60's. You can see the 462 and no accessory holes.

14. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thanks for the info so far guys! ....this is why I love the H.A.M.B! :D

The number just behind left cylinder bank (as asked for) is:

18 GM

15. Looks like an early 350. First installed in Camaros during 1967, which IIRC, would make it a small journal, and rare. All others would be large journal (natch).

Early intake, which is technically wrong, as the oil filler is not necessary, note yours is blocked off. Most of the ancillary parts looks like early, though I am not sure how a generator/alternator was mounted, as the mounts were on the (factory) exhaust. The lack of bolt holes in the head ends means early heads. I *think* the Camaro had alt. mounted with bolts in end of head.

Desireable from a performance aspect, not so much as a resto piece as it's a bitsa. But a good one.

Cosmo

16. robber

robber

Seriously guys... this is a 327 Chevy small block... for reals:)

17. MrModelT

MrModelT

Head gasket is actually removed in these photos and yes they did o-ring the block...forgot to mention that.

18. '68-'79 350. 4 bolt main.
    Score.

*edit, sometimes 2 bolt main*

19. wow either you guys have never seen an O-ring job or you need better glasses !!! >>>>.

20. pitman

pitman

I wonder if its a small journal 327? If so, nice mill.

21. afaulk

afaulk

High compression, 100+ octane fuel required, 2.02 x 160 valves, definitely the high performance Ford.....ya can always tell with the dist. in the back like that. Uh yup, me see um O-rings, on 3 cylinders anyway. Also, that looks like a Titanium bell housing. I'd say the Shelby kicked some ass back in the day.

22. [​IMG] I didn't catch that! :eek:

23. afaulk

afaulk

Warning some of my posts may contain my attempts at humor.........

24. Sorry, my scanner is down.

ImageUploadedByTJJ1350341569.559239.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

25. MrModelT

MrModelT

Well....I have never had the pan off, so it might be worth while to get her out of the crate and have a look...

26. That little (+) beside the number is a notation that says some of the blocks were only machined for two???

I'll put my money on 4. Good luck!

27. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Well judging by the 010 I would say that it is a 4 bolt main 350 with 202 heads from a 327 and I'm betting that it has the 151 cam in it to. Nice engine for sure....

28. MrModelT

MrModelT

That is what I have been told before, but never really pursued I.D. on this engine in the past....

All cylinders are ringed. Not sure what the bell-housing is made of, but it is an Ansen piece. From what my Mom and Dad say, the Shelby would burn 'em in all four gears.... :D

29. I gotta be honest, I if I had something like that from my grandpa I would make it clean and sparkle and put it in my living room.

30. MrModelT

MrModelT

That I don't know without dropping the pan. Good find though Cactus!