Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Vs. Hot Rods - A Poll for you to consider...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 15, 2012.

?
  1. No! Leave the HAMB just as it is...

818 vote(s)
    82.9%
  2. Yes! I'd love to have separate custom and hot rod forums!

169 vote(s)
    17.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is true but it is a BIG if.

Maybe there is a way that Ryan can set it up so that you are required to pick a prefix as part of starting a thread?

I have no idea how doable any of this is but I also think it would be cool if you could pick multiple prefixes. So for example if you are doing a build you could pick project and hot rod prefixes. It wouldn't add a endless list of prefixes but might help guys narrow down searches using Prefixes

2. It's already in place,,look at my last post. HRP

3. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

I like the status quo.

4. What's already in place? I know prefixes exist but guys don't have to use them and the vast majority don't.(35 posts on the first page and 4 are using a prefix) I am suggesting that to start a thread you are required to pick a prefix or you can't post a new thread and as far as I can see you can only pick one prefix am I wrong?

5. Ryan, I respect that you have brought this to the forefront and that you have put it up for a vote.

Even though I voted NOT to change, I like both Rods and Customs.

However in defense of the custom guys, placing this to a vote on "this" forum is like walking into the Republican Convention and asking "Who's voting for Obama?". You already know how the voting is going to go.

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I think if the moderators, or maybe a new group could retroactively add the prefix. It's hard for the existing threads. It would be a similar issue if there was a separate forum anyway, who is going to do the work of dealing with existing threads.

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I get the general idea, and my motives are selfish (as usual) I wouldn't want to split it up, as I am a die-hard hot rod/musclecar:eek::p;) guy, but I do appreciate the whole custom thing, its just not for me. However, I DO like checking them out, and Ray Goularts Olds was one of the coolest things to ever sit on 4 wheels. If the forum is split, I will be hard-pressed to find the time to check out the custom board, and I will start missing out on some cool stuff that I otherwise would probably see.
    At the same time, I understand that the custom guys feel "lost in the shuffle" on the main board. At first, I was gonna say no, but that feels pretty self-serving. I think I will abstain for now...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  8. I am probably going to get on someone's last nerve here but if being separate from the rest of the group and havening control of the content of your own special type of information is all that important there are really two options already open one is to start your own website that is only about what you want to read and the other is to start a social group that caters to your specific needs. Of the two the social group is the easiest, it is free still and you don't need a lot of web savy to set it up. No extra work for the mods either.

Send a note to everyone in your click and you are golden.

The really nice thing about a social group is that the one who starts it is the moderator you can even delete stuff that you don't like.

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Good point. FWIW, I will start making more of an effort to use prefixes. Just one small drop in a very large ocean, but I'll try to do my part. Dont think I have ever started a thread on the main board that pertains to customs though...

10. I am offering a suggestion to the guys that want a separate forum for CUSTOMS,,it's there whether you decide to use it or not,,I am totally against being required to use a prefix,,there are so few hard fast rules and that's what makes the Hamb such a great site for us all. HRP

11. bfinch56

bfinch56

x2 .

12. eddie1

eddie1

Love them both. So in my humble opinion, If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

13. You don't have to keep posting it I am well aware that it exists if you had actually read my post it had nothing to do with whether or not this function exists but the fact that it is used so infrequently that it is essentially useless.

14. Racrdad

Racrdad

Some days I just want to look at Hot Rods and some days I just want to look at Customs. I dig em both but would like to be able to go through threads on Customs easier than scrolling though all the posts to find them since there are obviously alot fewer threads on Customs.

15. I did read your post,,and again,,if you want your CUSTOM post to stand out,,use it! HRP

16. Drew.Morris

Drew.Morris

I like it as is.

Drew

17. I vote to keep it as it is. I like hot rods more, but like reading about both.

18. 61TBird

61TBird

Voted.
    I do believe there is something else going on though....just in case,I'll be ready for anything....:D

[​IMG]

19. seatex

seatex

as is..............

20. Well remember just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they are not out to get ya. :D

21. [​IMG]

22. craftscustoms

craftscustoms

Seems like a lot of people have trouble following the rules as they are, one more rule might be too much for the clueless...;)

23. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I agree, no O/T section needed

That's what the rest of the internet is for

24. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

I dig all cars - custom and hot rod.

I like having both here to read about.

25. VonKool13

VonKool13

Sorry to inform you there is plenty of OT crap posted every day. That shit is already infested this forum, we need a place to clean it off the main board.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

26. goetzcr

goetzcr

I came here for the hot rods, but my interest and appreciation (and knowledge) of customs has grown because of this site. I also agree that there will be common technical knowledge that may get passed up on by one crowd or another.

Please leave it the way it is.

27. goetzcr

goetzcr

The way that's written makes me laugh. Reminds my that my grandaddy liked both types of music; country AND western! :D

28. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

When building a new thread can you specify to which category it belongs and then you can have the threads sort by category? (Like when you browse e*ay you can filter your results) If you don't sort them you just read it the traditional way...
    Sorry if this has been posted earlier but by this time there are a lot of pages to read.
    Regards - Fernando

29. No we need to just not post it to start with. If someone wants to post stuff that is OT let them start a social club, then they can post whatever they want (within reason) and be a happy camper.

I believe that the reason for Ryans sticky about being focused is to point out what the focus of the board is and to remind us that OT material has no place here.

OK I went off on a rabbit trail, sorry about that, this is about rods and customs as I recall, maybe we can get back to the center of the discussion. Do we need to separate them a main board for the hot rodders and OT stuff and a special place just for customs.

30. OhioRiv

OhioRiv

x2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.