Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Vs. Hot Rods - A Poll for you to consider...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 15, 2012.

?
  1. No! Leave the HAMB just as it is...

818 vote(s)
    82.9%
  2. Yes! I'd love to have separate custom and hot rod forums!

169 vote(s)
    17.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I like 'em both. I say it's good as is. .............And Thanks

2. Well I know. :)

3. Exactly,,there has always been and always will be off topic post,,often some go on for a while and are tolerated while others go down in flames right off the bat.

Look,most of us are guilty of posting something off topic from time to time,,I certainly have received a PM informing me my post has been closed and advised to stay on topic.

I have absolutely no animosity toward anyone here having a opinion that differs from mine,,and again Ryans post was asking about Hot Rod Vs Customs.

Again,it Ryan's site,,if we all said we don't want to ever see a Custom heading, or a Hot Rod heading and he decided he wanted one,,so be it,after all he is the Boss and has to do the extra work to make it happen. HRP

4. James Curl

James Curl

It is just fine as is, who is going to define custom, hot rod, or a mix, what in my mind would be a neat car, is a 46-48 Ford coupe channeled with dropped axle with big and littles with the hood pie sliced and the fenders raised. 303 Olds with a LaSalle transmission and a quick change. Now is it a Hot Rod or a Custom, who decides? Or a 32 Ford Roadster, channeled with raised fenders, shortened radiator shell Almost stock 21 stud flat head with headers, finned heads and two carburetors, hot rod or custom? I have seen both done and always considered them to be Hot Rods. So who makes the call if you have two different sections? Will we bitch because we don't think they posted it in the right section?

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Them thar scientific fellers say that "overspecialization" leads to stuff like stagnation, a shallower gene pool, and decreased stress / disease resistance. No sense prematurely draining the swamp, eh? Gary

6. -Brent-

-Brent-

There's already something that does this AND helps search terms. If a thread was tagged "Custom" or "Shoebox Chop," etc., it could be searched and found, easily.

7. VonKool13

VonKool13

I vote for an Off Topic section. Tired of the threads about dead dogs and the like. This site is for cars not obituaries. Famous hot rodders that die are an exception.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

8. dt50chev

dt50chev

As many have suggested, maybe the better way to do it is to leave both in the same forum, but make more widespread the use of the tags for "Customs" and have the search function work well. Of course you will get those members that will not tag their post, so maybe a moderator could properly tag and categorize posts as they see fit.

9. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

Leave it as is.

10. I'm more into the Kustoms, but enjoy just pickin' thru everything, reading what I want.
    Leave it the way it is, but thats just my op.

11. metal man

metal man

Please just leave it alone.As mentioned by others, Most of the great tech. articles would benefit both camps equally, as well as event coverage,etc.

As far as an off topic section...the whole rest of the internet is the off topic section.

12. teejay99

teejay99

Only thing I would consider is maybe a different colour print for the thread topic , such as black for rods and blue for customs . If that won't work , leave it as it is .

T

13. Don't go changin' to try and please me....

14. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

I would love to see a seperate section for customs, from a custom guys point of view I have to search through so many pages and threads to find the ones on just custom cars that it gets very frustrating, its not like if you are a rodder that likes customs where when a thread pops up you like to read it, its a case of only wanting the custom car threads. So anyway I am all for a custom section. Jim

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

every topic isn't pure custom or pure HOT ROD. how to put a 5 speed behind my 235, Hemi, Flathead, Nailhead could be for either. "somebody moved my chairs I was using to save a spot at the car show" is another important thread that could go either way.

16. Ol Dawg

Ol Dawg

Don't change a thing. Customs and Hot Rods are part of our past, and hopefully our future. You got to love them both.

17. please don't make it like the garage journal, i wanted to post a compressor question and did not know what section to post it, then i went back to check it and couldn't find it because i picked the wrong spot. too confusing
    i like reading about all cars pre65, and there is too many crossover questions for example; body repair, welding, engine, wiring, sewing, paint, pin striping, the proper use of a tiki etc..

18. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I would like to see a customs category. Why? Because of statements like this one from post #2. "Classifieds are cleaned up of any off-topic, non-traditional material, it's all good".

Everyone has their own opinion of "off topic and "non traditional". I have seen posts closed for aftermarket parts being mentioned, but other topics like air bag suspension go for page after page and nobody seems to mind. Or late model Jag suspensions. Or Explorer disc brake rear axles. Or C.O.E. trucks. Or cars using Chevy 350.

Use the same 1965 cutoff date. No muscle cars or VW. The guys with their Model A on 32 rails with a flathead dont have to click on the topic, and will have to find something else to piss and moan about. My .02.

19. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

If we could get people to use the prefix you can effectively have two separate forums by viewing it by prefix. So I say no.

20. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"specialization is for insects"

21. ArchangelKustom

ArchangelKustom
    from NR/OH

I'd vote to leave the car content commingled, but try to cut down on the OT posts. Less social, more history and tech.

Garage Journal is pretty well delineated but the subject material in the HAMB is much more difficult to separate.

22. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

I don't think it's a matter of the custom guys, of which i am one,not enjoying all the hot rod related stuff. I think it's more the ease of finding threads which pertain specifically to your perferred interest, and may have missed in the shuffle of all the hot rod stuff.
    I love the idea.

23. I am reading through here and seeing a lot of I can't find just custom stuff and I don't want to read about hot rods and using tags.

Maybe the custom guys should tag there stuff as custom stuff then they can find it and not have to read about hot rods and the rest of us who are not that special can read whatever we find and be happy with that. No need for a separate forum that way and some of us can still be influenced by the very extra special custom stuff. It must be nice to be that special.:rolleyes:

24. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Specialization equals separation.I love reading and looking at both Custom threads and Hot Rod threads...so my 2 cents is leave it as is. You and the moderators certainly don't need more work on our behaves....!

25. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I agree with this wholeheartedly, but how do you effectively insure that people always use a prefix? If there was a way this could be done it would be far more desirable. Maybe you could even increase the number of prefixes to make them more specific and give people more choice of which one to use.
    Paul

26. dirtybirdpunk

dirtybirdpunk

I like the idea of two separate forums. That way us classier guys who like customs wont have to mingle with the unruly hot rod crowd.

27. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Hey Benno, that seems a little bit harsh to me. The custom threads on here are massively outnumbered by hot Rod posts and if they were to be a second section for customs I would imagine it would be a lot quieter. I don't think anyone on here (except maybe dirty bird punk) is trying to suggest that ask custom guys on here consider themselves some sort of elite, but it would be nice to have a place to go directly to.
    Paul

28. The Hamb already has in place a way to specify how you want your post to be perceived,,looks like it's extremely simple to add the appropriate prefix and everybody would know if the thread is geared toward your intended audience.

As you can see below there is already a way of selecting your heading if you want to use it.HRP

[​IMG]

29. well shit, i didn't expect that many "nay"s. i'll vote "yea", for ten years i've been weeding through the hot rod post looking for kustom stuff. the hamb has always been and always will be hot rod heavy. the car world in general is hot rod heavy. i do read and enjoy some of the hot rod threads, but, the reason i come here is for kustom threads.

it would be really nice to have a seperate area. plus, it would slow down the main board so you could actually see some of it before it went down 10 pages.

ryan, go take a look at 67-72chevytrucks.com to see how he's got that one set up. it works real good i think.

30. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Leave it. Even though I like hot rods more then customs I appreciate both. I find that on the FORD Barn I rarely look at model a stuff because it's on a different forum then v8 stuff. This all keeps us in the same basket and exposes us to other's work we might not seek out normally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.