Register now to get rid of these ads!

This Ain't No T-5

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim Rocheford, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Tim Rocheford

Tim Rocheford

Spent a great day at the Twin Cities Roadsters Swap Meet at the fairgrounds in St. Paul, Minnesota today. I was hoping to run across a T-5 for a good price. Well low and behold a guy there had one. I shifted it through the gears and everything felt good until I tried 5th. Nothing. So, thinking I'd end up rebuilding it anyway, I talked him down and dragged it home. After bolting it up to the dummy block in my chassis, I pulled off the shifter to see if there was something blocking 5th gear. Apparently there is no 5th gear in this transmission.

I could clearly see the shift gate below the gear selector and there was no slot for 5th gear. It looks like every other T-5 I've seen and the dude I bought it from said he pulled it out of an S-10, but all those 4 speeds had an integral bellhousing. It's got to be a mid to late '80s transmission as it has a mechanical speedometer drive. What is this transmission?

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Just looked up T4's. I may have not looked enough, but they don't have a tail housing to but a drive shaft to. They're set up to bolt to a transfer case for 4 wheel drive vehicles.

3. HamD

HamD

T4 was made 2WD.

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Thank's, although I have nothing to offer here but my selfish reading and learning.

5. HamD

HamD

:cool: Early S10 w/ cable clutch was in my path one day.

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

More findings

BORG-WARNER T4C 1982-84-Compact Trucks Parts List 43
    All aluminum top-loaded transmission with the shifter on the top of the extension housing with an internal single-rail shift linkage. Front and rear main bearings are ball type and the cluster gear has a shaft running through it, that is supported by loose needles. Case casting is number 13-53.

BORG-WARNER T4 1983-84 Cars, 1985-87 Compact Trucks Parts List 43
    All aluminum top-loaded transmission with shifter on top of the extension housing with internal single-rail shift linkage. Front and rear main bearings are tapered. The cluster gear is solid and is supported on each end by cylindrical roller bearings located in the case. Case castings numbers are 13-51 or 13-52.

ISUZU M73 1982-87 Compact Trucks Parts List 53
    Aluminum end-loaded transmission with integral bell housing. The Isuzu logo is cast into the left side of the case. Produced for the S10/S15 trucks with GM and Isuzu engines. Is not found in the Chevy LUV. It has a rectangular cast iron front bearing retainer and a 27 tooth rear output shaft. The front and rear countershaft bearings are both 25x62x17.

7. i had a friend who fixed up and sold used trucks, he had a truck that needed fifth gear, he "fixed" it by putting a four speed shift knob on it.

8. Yep, as stated, it is a T-4, which is basically a T-5 without the 5th gear. Look very similar and easy to get confused if not looking at it close enough.