Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is everyone's preffered 4bbl FE intake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by venturesomerite, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Looking for a new intake to replace my cast iron anchor. 3 deuce and dual quad are too too pricey for me, so just looking for the best Aluminum 4bbl intake for a street strip set up. Heads are c3ae 406 heads on a 390.Will be building a set of custom headers in the future.

I realize the question is vague and depends on alot of variables, just looking for ones to look at, stay away from. As well as good and bad experiences with some.

Suggestions?

Brian

2. Deuces

Deuces

I'm wondering if the P.I. intake will work with those heads... Not sure if it's aluminum or cast iron..:confused:

3. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Easiest and pretty reasonable will be the Performer RPM- bolt it on and go, or do a minor port match first. It'll make more power and be cheaper than a PI intake, a ported Streetmaster or Street Dominator is also very good but a lot more work. The PI intake has some collector value and is usually priced to reflect that. The later cast iron CJ intake actually makes a little more power than the PI, the PI was installed for the weight savings

4. derbydad276

derbydad276

problem is they only make 4 or 5 intakes for F.E. engines

5. fxcomet

fxcomet

If you can find one, the Edlebrock Streetmaster had some of the best specs. Stay away from the SP2P as it was basically designed for torque and low rpm; they were little better than the factory intakes. Holley Street Dominator's were good intakes as well. When buying used, watch for stripped VC holes, etc.

6. You want to talk carbs? I had a quadrajet carb/offy manifold and it ran nice.... on a 390 and later a 428.

7. DerbyDad stated<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    "problem is they only make 4 or 5 intakes for F.E. engines"

MY responce is that Jay Brown in his FE Intake Comparison book dyno tested 19 aluminum single 4 bbl FE intakes and 4 Cast Iron ones. How did you miss 14 to 18 single 4's that were manufactured????

He also dynoed over 30 multi carb intakes
    I'd like you to list the ones you know of & i'll fill in a few for you unless you were only speaking of FoMoCo cast aluminum intakes?

Movin/on

8. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had the Edelbrock Performer on mine, gave me no troubles and constituted a huge weight savings.

9. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I will third the Edelbrock Performer RPM suggestion.

Keep an eye on the auction sites, they often pop up for $200 or less.

10. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

I've got a regular Performer on a 352 mainly because I was not putting the heavy cast iron one back on!
    Also have an Edelbrock F427 intake as well that I've yet to use on one of my 390s

11. wideglidejoe

wideglidejoe

I also recommend the Perf RPM. I recently had one on a 428 stroked to 455, and it ran great with a Holley 850 DP. After a catastrophic engine failure, I've already swapped that intake to a friend. The only reason I'm not running the Perf RPM now is I've picked up a quad 48 IDA Weber setup for my 462 FE that is coming together.

I may have a Blue Thunder single 4 bbl intake to sell; I need to check.

12. I have run the edelbrock streetmaster, if you are interested in performance it is a lot of work to make one perform. They were originally supposed to make better fuel mileage.

I have bolted Edelbrock performers on them and been happy with the results and I have also gotten my hands on Weiand and Holley intakes that I was happy with.

Most of the fellas are going tio suggest something in the edelbrock performer class of intake everything from a standard performer to an RPM, I don't know if they make an FE air gap. They will do you just fine for driving around.

13. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

6x2 ;)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. anteek

anteek

X2,390 merc,X2,heavy POS.

15. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

X2 this is the intake you want - or the early 390/406 4bbl aluminum (basically the same as your iron one) this one has the oil fill tube too whereas most aftermarket ones dont - makes a difference if you want to run the early covers

16. barstowpo

barstowpo

The factory 428 CJ intake is great but it is cast iron. I agree that the Performer RPM is a great choice. The intake made by Blue Thunder is basically an alum copy of the CJintake and is excellent but pricey. Edelbrock does make an airgap but it is pricey and needs a little more rpm than the others.

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The Streetmaster is decent, and the mods are simple. Just grind the "ears" down that are in the upper corners of the plenum, and port match the top and outside of the runners. The Holley Street Dominator is good too, and may be a little cheaper since Jay Browns book came out. I used to buy Streetmasters CHEAP, but thanks to Jay, the word is out now.

18. jho

jho
    from Omaha

I have a blue thunder works great looks great kinda like a stock piece plus has the breather tube witch I prefer the look of over breathers on valve covers

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The blue thunder does work well. Its also BLOODY expensive, and if you are going to spend that kind of coin, I would go straight to the 2x4 medium riser and a pair of 600's like Gene and I mentioned on your other thread.

20. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

I took about 4lbs out of that streetmaster : /
    I like the looks of the Weind or Offy for a street strip application w/o cutting it to hell , I prefer single planes vs. dual. better midrange and top end, They do not kill your low end or foul plugs like some people claim.