Register now to get rid of these ads!

just another shoebox budget build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tedley, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Nice can't be mad about that! I keep telling my buddy with a 49 to just bite the bullet and buy a cl 302 just to get on the road. But he has visions of crate motors.

2. Got some work done on the meteor grille shell and got the meteor hood latching. Also picked up a few wall hangers. I should strip some of the good parts off that block before i chuck it thou.

Attached Files:

3. r0yal

r0yal
    from winnipeg

HAHA. I checked out that car early on in the summer, guy wouldnt budge on the price, so I decided to pass on it (and besides, thats the last thing I need, MORE work. Gotta finish what I have now lol)

Good to see the car didn't go to the wrecker though, Making some nice progress on your build Ted. Looks good.

4. Didn't know you looked at the car. Had some rare stuff on it. Wound up selling the for 350.00, after i took what i wanted, to a guy i know and bought some parts from. Would have been a great car for you to build.

Stop by the house sometime, i'll show you around.

5. thebugbox

thebugbox

Nice. I would love a Meteor grille for my '49 as they are rare down on the South Coast.

6. I will be selling the meteor grille, sig lites and lower pan but i'm keeping the upper grille shell.

7. koolkemp

koolkemp

Can you sfoot me a pm when you list the parts ?

8. Can do, but it may be awhile.

9. Well, this should keep me busy this winter. Sometimes walking away from the metal is a good time to refocus. Cleaned out a spare room for my new old toy. SEW..... i'm learning about bobbins and things. Just bought this thing and it sounds like a turbine on fire up. Got to slow things down to get control.That's why i have that spacer under the foot petal. I've been practicing all week and getting better every day, i think. Internet is great for pointers.
    Lol, this is going to be interesting.

Attached Files:

10. Love the direction you're going with this!

11. thebugbox

thebugbox

Hey I was here first! :)

12. Made a few door panels from hard sheeting. .Simple design similar to original except going with 1-1/2 pleats on upper panel.

Attached Files:

13. Blake84

Blake84

14. Well i can't sew worth s#!@t. So i had to come up with another idea. I had a separate panel for the upper section which was going to be pleats. But changed my mind which was easier and more unusual besides, i can't sew worth crap. I found some material that mimics the screen dash overlay and glued it to the panel. Just have to dye it the right color. Doesn't show well in the pics but i good with it. Did both kick panels as well. It was cheap.

Attached Files:

15. 62rebel

62rebel

where did you get that stuff, and what is it? i'm stealing that idea from you ASAP.

16. EBW

EBW

Looks really good !!

17. Believe it or not i was in a big fabric store that had thousands of rolls of material and just happened to come a cross it way at the bottom. It was in the pvc section. It's heavy material. 23 thou. I was thinkng later i should have bought the remainder of the roll but a hundred comes up fast at 23 bucks a hit.
    The same idea will carry to the rear panel

18. 62rebel

62rebel

thanks, will keep my eye out!

19. Made a few back panels tonite. Still have to do the arm rests which are really easy. The Lepages spray glue is some kind of gorilla snot. Man it's sticky. Comes out heavy like commercial stuff. I used the 3m for lighter applications as it has a fine mist. Oh, pool tables make great upholstery tables. Don't use it anyway.
    So here's my budget line up so far. I'm happy.

Attached Files:

20. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Fuck man that looks great!!

21. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Hey Tedley
    Is hard sheeting Canadian for masonite? OR fiber board? OR Plywood?

22. That's what i called it. Not sure what it's real name is. I guess it''s like masonite but not 100% sure what that is either. Cheap shit from Home depot. 10 bucks for a 4x8x1/8 sheet. Same as peg board without the holes. Not the best as i'll have to waterproof it a bit. Cut it with a jig saw with a fine blade and sand the edges after. I wanted to use plastic but couldn't find any.

23. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Yeah it's masonite then. Thanks I thought maybe you guys called it something else there.

24. Got ,my steering links from Borgeson yesterday and as i suspected it would be the wrong u joint for the rack. I stressed over and over that i'm using a manual rack from a 90 Cavalier and the end is different from the power rack. ya ya they said ,we know what you need. Ya right!!! The manual rack uses a splined end with one flat side like a single d joint. Well i got a double d joint for a power rack. So frustrated i threw the power rack back in at least for now. I'm still looking for the elusive manual joint but may wind up looping the power rack lines to run manual for the time being.
    For those of you who have never seen a manual rack, it is a little different as you can see it's shorter and fatter on the one end and of course the output shaft has different styled ends.
    Pic shows the power unit installed with just enough clearance for the factory 5.0 headers.
    At least now i can drive the car in and out of the garage for the first time.

Attached Files:

25. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

26. daddio211

daddio211

Very cool man!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

27. EBW

EBW

Great job !!

28. Spent some time polishing a few things for the man cave. Aluminum intake and heads for a baby 60 flatty. One more to polish. Cute little buggers

Attached Files: