Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone ever suicide a 55/56 ford car hood?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by venturesomerite, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Like it says, I plan on suiciding my 56 vicky hood and was just wondering if anyone had done it, I'd be interested to see it.

Brian

EDIT:

Also, any pictures of factory, aftermarket, or homemade/adapted reverse open hoods would be helpful as well.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  2. What exactly are you talking about? How do you Suicide a hood? Get it some Zanax or some psychiatric help. Suicide is not the answer...

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Ive seen what your talking about, I have also seen where the builder even used the original hood spring and hinges just switched them to the front at the core support, or made their own support where it needed to be.

I dont know if "suicide" for the hood is the correct term, but i get the correlation

Im sure you know doing this, makes engine work a bitch, ..

4. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

stick to stuff that makes sense - reversing the opening mechanism on a hood just makes it very difficult to access a good portion of the engine compartment and adds nothing to the car, unless you have the hood raised - and even then, it will likely only attract those individuals that think "Lambo" doors look great on 4dr rice burners.

5. Chris F100

Chris F100

I believe the 57, 58, 59 Fords' hoods were "suicided"

6. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Yeah, weren't the T-Birds like that too?

I actually planned on doing this to my '62 Galaxie (someday) so that I wouldn't have those big ugly hinges in the engine compartment. I hadn't worked out exactly how I was going to accomplish it, but was thinking on building some sort of adjustable heim joint (rod end) arrangement mounted off the radiator core support.

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

when you are done, then do the trunk.

8. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

Yea 1958 Ford is like that !!!:(

9. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

my 1960 Merc had a suicide hood,and I found out why they were called that-in a fairly low speed front end collision,the hood came back through the windshield,luckily only about 6 inches,but a good visual explanation of the term

10. Mr Mayo

Mr Mayo
    from Huff, ND

Forward-tilt hoods are a popular conversion among 1953-56 Ford pickup owners. There's a lot of discussion of various methods that might be applicable to your car over on FTE (ford-trucks dot com forward slash forums).

11. 1955 T-Birds had a tilt hood no reason why you couldn't do a 55-56 Ford sedan.

Come to think of it people have been tilting the hoods on the Ford trucks for many years. HRP

12. R Pope

R Pope

Suicide doors have the hinges at the rear, so actually most hoods are already suicide.....

13. What the fuck is a suicide hood ?
    One that if it flys open, busts the windshield into your face covering your corneas with fine glass dust and then completely obstructing your view. A two part fail safe plan to ensure you will not be able to see anything while at a high rate of speed.

A belt and suspenders approach

14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Suicided"...:rolleyes:

Too many previously-used, perfectly good terms being misused...misconstrued...totally screwed up these days. How about just "front-opening" or "rear-opening".

Aside from that, the hood on my '47 Hudson is rear-opening, and it'll never fly up and smash the windshield if I forget to latch it. It does make access to the front of the engine and the radiator a little more difficult, though.

15. Moonequipt13

Moonequipt13

I was going to do this to an o/t car, I was looking at using bmw hinges from a pull a part yard. They are low profile and cheap

16. Chill people... Like it or not, suicide has become a generic term for "reverse opening."

and yes, I know the 57-58 ford came that way.

If you don't have anything useful to contribute, please don't contribute.

17. No, its not generic for reverse opening. You are mistaken.
    There is no logical reason to call a front opening hood anything other than a suicide hood but its not called that ever. A front hinged hood has never been correctly referenced as a suicide hood.

A suicide front end is not reversed opening.
    A suicide clutch ( MC term) is not reversed opening.
    A suicide knob is not reversed opening.
    A suicide jockey is not a reversed opening. He's a truck driver with a dangerous load
    A suicide bomber is not a reversed ooening
    A suicide door is reversed opening

And that is because you can easily kill yourself with any one of those.

Only to help you ^^^
    Not look silly ( like it or not)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nah...not for a hood. Only for doors. Nobody's gonna fall out of the car if the hood flies open.

(Like it or not)

19. well i dont know about "suicide" but i know im going to make my 57 ford and 60 t-bird's hoods ....made to open like they should have from the start , from front to back

the reverse opening hoods is the only thing i dont like about the mid50-early 60's fords

20. sunbeam

sunbeam

With a front hinge hood if it comes open at 60 you just stop and close it.

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

it's an incorrect term and a waste of time. I think that is very usefull rather than encourage you to do it.

22. Gawd, its called a clam-shell! But like 49ratfink said ... after the hood, go for the trunklid.

23. Again like it or not, it has become a common place term. Especially in car culture around here. I'm not arguing that it is correct, or that it has any merit. I don't deny that the term has nothing to do with the original meaning, and that it doesn't even apply. I agree, it doesn't.

And Again, if you don't have anything useful, go play in another thread. I'll do the trunk lid, sure no problem. Seriously, you don't like the idea of a reverse opening, suicide, clamshell, ball touching whatever you want to call it hood, fine. Don't be a dick, don't waste the thread space. Go start your own thread about how stupid that name is and go suggest lamboing gas doors or whatever you want there.

Seriously, have a little respect/decency.

Please just stick to the meat of the subject, don't nit pick it to death.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I've been a dick for 52 years now and won't be stopping any time soon.

lambo gas door... that's a killer idea!

25. Already been done...

"Gullwing" gas doors are where it's at!

26. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

The term "suicide hood" has been used since at least the mid 1960's when I started to drive-mabe it was an up north thing?

27. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

My scout has the reverse opening hood .I like it .I never have to worry about the hood flying up on the highway because I somehow forgot to shut it all the way.

28. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Suicide girls :D

29. OT call it what you want ... some people call customs lowriders and coupes roadsters and are still not open for correction ... thats OK but to "just stick to the meat of the subject" ... let me ask you "why?" .... I mean just because a guy like the looks of the Buick fender vents does he put him on his Chevy? If you like the clamshell of a 57 why do that to your 56? .... its not like your after a full-tilt frontend (like a gasser) for ease of access to the engine ..... I think most people that dont agree with your desire just dont "get it" .... I know I sure dont .... I simply see a cheezy body mod.
    Why?

30. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

I like the forward hinged hood on my 58 Ford. While it does make accessing everything forward of the radiator more difficult, 90% of my time under the hood is spent on the components behind the radiator. The fact that it tilts to 90 degrees is pretty cool too.
    Cool thing about the OP's idea is that he would have a modification that nobody would ever notice ...until he opened his hood.
    And unless he was parked near other 55-56 Fords, an awful lot of people would never notice the mod with the hood UP.