Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

I still just lean stuff up in a corner of the garage and have to dig through it to find what I have. Chaos is a way of life.:p

2. I like the bins on top for the small scraps that you use up for the smaller jobs.

3. Lukydevl

Lukydevl
    from Arizona

4. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I finished up modding my HF bead roller this weekend and I'm pretty happy with it. I reinforced the frame with 1 1/2" sq. tubing, reinforced the screw down tab, made a t handle screw down, put a mount on it, grease fittings and a tractor steering wheel.

I also made a fence of 3/4" tubing. The two screws allow you to get it square and keep it square. You have to lift the upper roll to install it. Works pretty good.

I also build a stand to house my roller and my dies. Nice weekend project.

Attached Files:

5. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

ImageUploadedByTJJ1349637139.525311.jpg

I built one of these last march still need to make a guide. Had all the metal in my garage.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. backlash18

backlash18

I thought about that and may add those pieces as my collection of metal develops and requires more room on each shelf. I also wanted to wait till I came across some small pieces instead of busting up a whole piece of stock. I was really surprised at how strong the thin walled 1" tubing turned out to be. I feel very confident in loading it down with material. Also, I did not have any sheet metal yet, but there is 49" of clearance for several half sheets.

7. 3kross

3kross
    Alliance Vendor
    from Adrian, MO

Has anybody ever built a small heavy duty slip roller for thicker steel plate work.

8. You can bet on it that someone has.;)

9. woodbox

woodbox

I used to be in ship building. Spent many days on the end of an English wheel with a hydraulic ram for pressure and a driven wheel! I was putting compound curves into 25mm (1") steel plates for Ice rated vessels. The plates were all so heavy that they all had to be suspended on an overhead gantry while shaping! Is that heavy duty enough for ya! Oh and it wasn't 'home' made, but it was made by the firm I worked for.:eek:

10. Jim Stabe

Jim Stabe

I made this to roll curves into tubing but with flat wheels I have rolled 1/4" plate 2" wide into a 10" diameter ring. It would probably do 3/8" plate but I haven't tried.

Ring Roller 009 (Medium).jpg

Ring Roller B 009 (Medium).jpg

Ring Roller A 001 (Medium).jpg

Ring Roller B 005 (Medium).jpg

11. 18n57

18n57

Jim, thanks for the pics, been wanting to build something like this myself....

12. Jim Stabe

Jim Stabe

Let me know if you need more detail

13. 3kross

3kross
    Alliance Vendor
    from Adrian, MO

Ya Jim thanks thats what I need to build!

14. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Jim,

How large diameter tube have you rolled?

Looks like you control the radius with the 'steps' for the lower roller pinions.

I'd like to be able to roll 1 1/2" dia. stainless tube with a .060" wall on 4" center line radius to 180 degrees.

Can your roller do that?

Thanx, Bruce

15. Jim Stabe

Jim Stabe

Bruce

To do what you want to do requires a mandrel bender. My machine rolls much more gradual curves. About the tightest I have rolled any tubing is 1" .060" wall steel to about a 6" centerline radius to make a handwheel for my English wheel but even at that I was starting to get a little flattening of the tube. I made the machine to form a gradual bend in 1" tubing that would be the cockpit rolled edge on my MGB and I couldn't figure out any other way to do it.

New Wheel 019.jpg

6-16-08 008.jpg

Dash 002.jpg

16. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

My dad used to put his ear on a long screw driver and touch it to different parts of the motor to figure out where the noise was coming from. When my wife's DD started whining and everyone said it was the water pump, I didn't want my face that close the moving parts. Solution? I made this listening device out of a breast pump vacuum hose, some ear plugs and a length of #12 solid wire. ImageUploadedByTJJ1349722559.349310.jpg

I put a point on one end of the wire so it would fit in the tube:
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1349722619.601088.jpg

And made a little foot on the end that would make contact with the culprit. (I discovered that this worked best through trial and error):
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1349722718.439811.jpg

The tube is long enough that I can hold the wire at arms length and still keep it in my ear. The next step was to drill a hole through the earplug to allow sound the pass from the tube to my ear and jam the hose in:
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1349722857.040761.jpg

With the tube in one ear and the other earplug in the other, you can explore around for the noise and keep your head a safe distance from the moving parts. It works great! I've used it several times since then. You hear every little vibration on the foot. Even just dragging it along the bench. Leaving the insulation on dampens out the sound of your hand on the wire (trial and error again). The culprit BTW: it wasn't the water pump, it was the idler pulley.

17. rdesigns

rdesigns

hi guys new to jj but been stalking a while. some good ideas on here i might have to "borrow" a few. heres my woodward fab roller mod. used a 1/2" variable speed cheepo drill and going to be adding a timing chain and sprocket set for the drive.
    [​IMG]
    heres a crappy pic ill try to get a better one. also working on a 60" sheet metal brake have yet to see how well it works.

[​IMG]

18. NewportNic

NewportNic

backlash18 Good thing you're in TN I don't need the competition for them old bed frame rails. :D
    [​IMG]

19. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

this counts. im sure of it :) made the whole thing today. thinking about using it for a hood ornament :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. 18n57

18n57

Thanks, pm sent.

21. A little thing but pretty helpful welding inside the car (or if the lighting is just bad)

Attached Files:

22. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

that is the cutest vice ive ever seen

23. truckjunky24

truckjunky24

What too do with old roll a round shop vac? Me and 8 Bud lites later , I think i will make a roll a round drain pan!! when you are finished , hand it on the wall!!

Attached Files:

24. barney rubble

barney rubble

25. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

That thing is Bitchen'! Now I have another project to do one of these days. Thanks for the inspiration.

26. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

thanks guys it was a fun little progect. the bulk of it is a chunk of cast iron i cut off of an old stage weight. i shaped it up with a sawzall instead of a cutoff wheel to keep the dust down since im painting my car in a few days. then smoothed it out. could use a bit more smoothing and i might have to paint it if i use it as a hood ornament. the handle is actually an old nose ring. So you could say its like a piece of jewelry :)

27. Neat vice dude !

Bet we can get a whole page of this

28. All of my scrap was getting out of hand, so I built this rack.

[​IMG]

add a couple milk crates and its all managed.

[​IMG]

29. naughtyboy

naughtyboy
    from uk

couple of bits ive made for working on my landrover.
    stand is work in progress so not cleaned up welds or painted it yet got a tool made from wrecked propshaft and welded in bust halfshaft to help undoing pinion nuts .
    and a grinder stand
    also modded axle stand to sit under axle better
    and stand to store diffs
    pics might not be in order as not good with putting them on

Attached Files:

30. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

This shit is clever as fuck! Thanx for the idea. I really needed this.

Another clever fucker :cool: Thanx for a heap of ideas.
    I should check in here more often.