Register now to get rid of these ads!

Yeh or Neh-new decals on an untouched car.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 62FORD91, Oct 11, 2012.

1. 62FORD91

62FORD91
    from S.Va.

Ok.......I'm building my 62 fairlane as my idea of a super stocker.Im not touching the body or interior,just cleaning it out. My ques is would new repro decals,mainly for the windows be a bad idea? I'd really like to figure out a way to age them but I'm unsure how. Let me know what you think. I've got some autolite,dixco, super stock showdown etc.
    :confused:
    Here it is right now.

[​IMG]

2. abc123

abc123

If you're not in a hurry, you could leave the decals outside in direct sunlight for months until the look the way that you want them to.

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Man, if she were mine I'd slap some chrome reverse wheels on her! A few decals could be cool. Not a lot, just a few. Not sure how the age them. Maybe a very lite scuffing with a Scotch Brite.

4. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do to 'fade' a waterslide decal without destroying it. Old fashioned waterslides 'stick' to the inside of the windows, so you really can't get to the ink...only thing you can do is tint the clear border around it from the back.

That being said, I'd check into what the guitar builders do to artificially age decals. I don't see why you couldn't buy some amber tinted lacquer from a place like reranch and give the decal a light mist on the backside before you apply
    I would also imagine that applying a transfer to 50 year old windows will give it some age...just don't clean the window too much before you apply them.

5. jfg455

jfg455
    from NH

just put them on the car. All the "old" decals were new once. And it will document when it was worked on for the next guy who uncovers it 30 years down the road

6. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Hell Yeah! Put some decals on it. Cool car...raise the front end a bit.

7. 62FORD91

62FORD91
    from S.Va.

Guess I should have mentioned that they arent water slide,just the reg peel n stick.If I can find these in water slide for a reasonable price I would go that route.

8. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

In that case, spray them with some tinted clear.

9. 62FORD91

62FORD91
    from S.Va.

I can try that,but never seen any.(not that ive looked)Parts store or hobby shop???

10. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  11. 62FORD91

62FORD91
    from S.Va.

Ok sounds good,ill give it a try, thanks guys

12. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

i make mine out of color prints and booktape. ImageUploadedByTJJ1350019166.339853.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

13. Muttley

Muttley

Back away from the peel & sticks..............................Water-Slides only.

14. 61TBird

61TBird

The BEST advice you'll ever get.

15. Well it depends on what it has under the hood I suspect. I wouild probably put a beast under the hood before I would put a woodpecker on the fender. Of course maybe that is why I never ran stickers all my time was spent feeding the beast.

Decals would ad to the look for sure and like as has been mentioned they will age themselves and give an indea of when it was built.

16. Agreed 10,000,000%! Peel n' stick decals are to 60's style super stocker as vinyl numerals are to 40's lakesters.

17. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

yep....if ya gotta use peel 'n' stick - put 'em on a toolbox or something. Back 'in the day', P&S wasn't around - at least not for racing stuff. Water slide decalcomanias was what there was....and is what you should use. There might be a few folks reproducing waterslides, and originals are going to be pricey. A lot of the stuff you see (sponsor emblems) on race cars are usually 'static cling' - also not part of the era you're working for.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As I was told when I was 19 and put decals in the drivers side rear window of my 55 Buick, decals won't make it faster. It was a lame school boy wanna be thing then "by me" and I thought I needed the decals to make the car look like it was run at the drags but close to 50 years later it seems rather silly. Now if you actually took the car out and made a pass or two down the drag strip all bets are off, put them on.

19. 62FORD91

62FORD91
    from S.Va.

I'd love to as long as I can find the water slides I'm looking for.Any idea where I can find the autolite,dixco or any from drag strips in va/nc region?

20. Go back to post#13 and p.m. MUTTLEY.

21. 62FORD91

62FORD91
    from S.Va.

Well it definately wont have any "woodpeckers" on it anywhere,EVER!!!! But I understand what you are saying and to start it'll have the stock 145 horse 221 just to get it on the road. But a stout smallblock will be transplanted when time and money allow. When that happens it'll definately find its way down the local 1/8 mile track! Right now the decals would be completely for looks.

22. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Vinyl peel and sticks came about in the late 60's. I have two really bitchen peel n stick 'Stewart Warner' stickers from 1968 and a bunch of other racing stickers from 1970/1971.

23. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Peel and sticks for now, and when you step HP wise, you might have located the waterslide decals you really want by then.
    Then you just peel and toss.

24. [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    You mean like this?
    Peel and stick vinyl goes back to the late 60's....

25. I gotta go with Rocky on this one. Go with the cheapy stickers for now. Then when the car gets its balls and becomes a real race car contact Muttley for some real water slide decals.

Nice car by the way!

26. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Hate to brake you guys hearts but peel and sticks were around in the mid 60's black and white photo is from 1966

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  27. 62FORD91

62FORD91
    from S.Va.

You know guys I think I'll just go with these for now,and at the same time look for the water slides I want and once I get em just replace em. Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks waddayacare its gettin there slowly.

28. Muttley

Muttley

Thats right in the transitional period from Water-Slide's to the peel & stick type. If you look at the small advertisments in the old Hot Rod magazines around that time you can see the ads for the "all new self adhesive stickers".

29. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I used to make water transfer style decals for years until my last printer broke and I could not find the correct parts to fix it.

Now all I make is peel and stick styles decals which are made to the exact same sizes and colors as the water transfer decals were made back in the 60's

There are still a few guy's making the old school style decals but it is very important that you make sure you are getting water proof decals when you purchase them.

Many are made on an ink jet printer and those inks are not water proof.

Jimbo

30. OK don't take this thr wrong way I know that all real cars are a progression, but we used to call cars with decals and nothin' to back them up "Sticker Racers." It was not a compliment.

That said if you park it outside in the elements then by the time to make it scream the decals will be aged. When you go out of town where no one knows the car they will think that you have had it a long time or you rescued an old race car. I personally may ditch the small block and put a stout FE in it, you could even dress it to look like a 427.

Not building your car for ya just bench racing.

Oh while I am thinking about it you could paint over the decals with white shellac and it will yellow real fast. It may even crack a little out in the weather.