Register now to get rid of these ads!

sealing POR 15 after use. help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joel, Oct 11, 2012.

1. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I recently read a post about using Butane ( I think ) to flood the open container and displace the air prior to replacing the lid. I can't find the thread and I hope someone can give me the correct info on this.

2. RICKY~RICARDO

RICKY~RICARDO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milwaukee

Why not just ask for extra can's at the paint store? that's what i did never a problem and usually they just give you the cans free.

3. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

put plastic on the open can and cover it like normal, store it in the fridge upside down

4. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Punch a hole in the lid near the edge with a screwdriver, and a smaller hole opposite for air. Seal the holes with tape immediately after pouring some into a smaller vessel; use or discard what you poured out. It will last much longer.

5. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's what I've been doing and the stuff skins over and I end up having to remove the lid to get the skin off. I thought the idea of using a heavier than air gas to remove the air would prevent/ delay the skinning. Thanks for the reply.

6. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Propane is heavier than air too.

7. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

That's how I do it, works good.

8. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wasn't sure of that; so that's worth a try. What about Argon? Anyone know if it's heavier than air?

9. hari kari

hari kari
    from michigan

I use a sheet metal screw in the side at the bottom. Take out the screw pour what u need in a seperate container then put the screw back in. Had the same qt can for a couple years

10. jimbousman

jimbousman

i saved mine by taking Saran wrap and pushing it down inside the can on top of the paint forming an air tight seal directly on the POR

11. fleetside66

fleetside66

I've had good success with that method, too. Don't forget to use new Saran wrap every time you re-open the can.

12. The screw in the bottom works good because you're not allowing air to enter.You have'nt opened the can!

13. repairmanrod

repairmanrod
    from colorado

You are spot on with the Argon......Any inert gas will help with the skinning.

Rod

14. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

been doing my way for 12 years with no skinning.......but its cool........its only the directions I got from the manufacturer........lol

15. 19-c

19-c

I put a ziplock tight over the top and rubber band around the can. its keeps very well.

16. hopped up

hopped up
    from So Cal

Good info! I payed $40.00 bucks a quart at the swap meet and maybe will only use about half. Good stuff ain't cheap! I will seal & store as mentioned.

17. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I knew you guys would have some good ideas. Hole in the bottom and plug it with a screw. Too simple ; I have to try it. Thanks to all. Joel

18. Old Dude

Old Dude

I seal mine, and put in a small Refrigerator. That is what Company advised me to do, over ten years ago. I now use KBS, easier to work with. they have a lot of new products coming out also.

19. rpu28

rpu28
    from Austin

If air doesn't get in, how does the paint come out?

20. I use argon also. I have the stuff in a glass jar with a lid that I just poke holes in when I need to pour some out. Fill a little argon in and tape it shut with aluminum tape.

21. ============================================
    I see this is a very old post. .........Here is a product made to extend moisture sensitive products. I use this all the time.

22. -----------------------------------------------
    Inert Blanketing Gas

This will also put a blanket of Inert Blanket over Gas

https://www.amazon.com/Bloxygen-Gra...=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1502125416&sr=1-1

23. I bought a quart a couple years ago... mangled the lid getting it off. I used a little, no way the lid was going back on. I poured the rest into an old spaghetti sauce jar and put it in a cabinet in the garage. I needed some last month, opened the jar. No skin, it was still perfect.

24. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I purchased a quart at Hershey and when I went to use it a week later I had to cut the top off. No matter how many screwdrivers I used, I could not get the top to come off. I totally mangled it. After I used it I stored it in a plastic jar with a screw on lid until I used it up.

25. I guess the lids got a little of the product on them before being smacked home... says something about the product, tough stuff.

26. I have never used this trick with fancy paints or plastics, but on many occasions, after using a small quantity of paint out of a large container, I have filled the original container with good sized, clean rocks, to displace the air from the paint. I have used this technique successfully for over 50 years.
    Bob