Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

aside from Roy's point.. Look at the tires size and compounds as well. Big ol Soft Right Rears are a lot easier to lean on than a 4" Knobby, or a 6" Street Coker.

2. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

3. gilmore

gilmore
    from Missouri

The car below was posted on another forum and the person who posted it says it was claimed to be a "documented real racer". Photo was taken at Sears Point so I assume it might reside on the west coast. Has anyone seen this car or know anything about it?

[​IMG]

4. spark-e36

spark-e36

Marvin Faw is my late grandfather. I saw several posts with him in them and I talked with my dad Gary, and he brought over some pictures for me to post on here. Anyone who has anything regarding Marvin Faw please lead me to them. I am interested in everything I can find with or about him.

These are newspaper articles from 1954 when the car was built in Brandon. And a picture of the race shop that Marvin and his Brother in Law Hank Hanestad had in South Dakota.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  5. spark-e36

spark-e36

These are a couple pictures of the same car after moving to California removing the Ranger engine, shortening the car, and installing a Chevrolet engine. This is the car that Marvin won the NARC championship in 1962 for car owner and driver. We have many other photos that we will work on posting at a later date.
    The car had minimal success with the Ranger in it, but was very competitive in the 60s after the modifications were made to it.
    As in the Bill Chadbourne post that was made much earlier, this is not the same #44 that John Leverenz drove in the late 60's. The car John drove was a later roadster 4 bar car built at Vann's auto body in Berkeley, CA where Marvin worked. I will post pictures of that car when I can get them together.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  6. baldtireman

baldtireman

Check out that "Knobbie"!!!:eek:

7. The car might have been built in Brandon,SD but the shop photo is the shop they had in Sioux Falls. Brandon is about 6 miles east of Sioux Falls. The 'shop' was actually the old garage for the defunct Sioux Falls Ice House, a company that cut ice from the frozen Sioux River and stored it in the gigantic old structure. The company had a few delivery trucks and the race car 'shop' was where they worked on the delivery trucks. When I visited this shop in 1954 Marv Faw was putting the finishing touches on his Ranger powered 'roadster'. I do not remember the number on the car but it was painted a deep blue and sponsored by Wilson Insurance Company of Sioux Falls.

8. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

RABs32 - check your PM's

9. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Just did SpeedWrench,Thank's for the info...................

10. Bill Chadbourne

Bill Chadbourne
    from Sonora Ca.

Hi spark-e36: John Leverenz also drove the old spring front roadster with the Chevy in it. I will p/m you John's ph. number in Arizona he would be glad to give you more info. Bill

11. sideways27

sideways27

Sorry to repost this but someone on this site must be restoring a 70's to 80's sprint car. These wheels are the best out there. There are two complete sets of wheels plus a couple extra halvs with different widths. These wheels are the 2 pc mag wheels I think could be speedway with the ribs. One complete set is brand new never been on a car and the other set is in very good condition. It would be hard to find a set of these 40 year old wheels in this condition. If no one is interested in them there going to ebay. I just thought one of you guys would want these. 15" mag 2pc wheels 2 complete sets. If you are interested please pm me and I will send you pictures, sizes and quanities. Will not post again.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  12. Supermod47

Supermod47
    from Lincoln NE

Hi Roy,

Great photo! Hey, I'm putting together a book of posed dirt champ photos and stuff like this is what I'm looking for. Is there a chance you could sent me a hi-res version of this shot?
    later,
    Bob Mays
    [email protected]

13. easter

easter

In 1967 on the way to Tampa for the IMCA races, we stopped in Macon, GA for a race. I think it was another IMCA race as well. If I remember correctly, it was a 1/2 mile banked asphalt surrounded by the reddest clay I've ever seen. My dad said it was smooth as glass. I do remember Todd Gibson in his Flintstone Flyer making everyone gasp, laugh, and then cheer at his speed. His car was too low to trip the timing light during his first qualifying attempt, so they had to tape a fuel stick to the roll bar to reach up to the light under the flag stand. So, he qualified twice - crazy fast. I think the link I've attached below is to that track. Does anyone know for sure and has anyone been there? Thanks. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Georgia_Raceway

14. David J. Kovac

David J. Kovac

LITTLE BELLEVILLE OPEN WHEEL VINTAGE RACERS

SATURDAY OCTOBER 6th 2012

RAIN MOVING OUT FRIDAY NIGHT'
    Cooler on Saturday
    Partly cloudy
    No rain
    Track fast for POWRi and Vintage Open Wheel(under yellow)
    Check in at 2 PM
    Belle Clair Speedway, Belleville Il.
    David J. Kovac
    314-220-0699

15. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

You've got the right track and website.

I went there for a pre-Tampa IMCA tune-up race in 1969 or 70. Other than Bobbie Kinser driving Karl's roadster, the main thing I remember about it was that it was cold enoungh to freeze the balls off a pool table and the upper midwest farm boys swimming at the motel in spite of that fact.

I did make a point of checking out the ticket booth behind turn three where the revenouers had padlocked the trapdoor in the floor that led to the still that was built into a tunnel beneath the turn.

16. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I had the pleasure of meeting Gene Novotny yesterday. He holds court in his Auto Hospital repair garage in Casper, Wyoming. After 54 years in business, he is thinking of closing up in the next year or so. At 80 years of age he is full of stories of his racing days with the CSRA, BCRA and USAC at Pike's Peak. The Novotny car was powered for many years from 1954 on with a Fisher 12 port equipped GMC. He mentioned Jack Hahn, and a guy from Albuquerque named Bob Blaney, and his two favorite racing idols, Bill Fisher and Hoy Stevens. And the 12 port car is on loan to Speedy Bill Smith's Museum in Lincoln, Nebraska.

17. easter

easter

I didn't know Bobbie could fit into a roadster! I'll bet getting up out of that car was a challenge. Dad and Bobbie were buddies and might even have had a couple beers together! Every time I saw Bobbie he was smiling or laughing. Karl was crew chief for Diz Wilson with Dick Gaines driving an orange #70 or #71 when I saw him in Tampa. I think Diz had both cars. I remember some of those Supers from around the Great Lakes would come south in February, too. But, instead of going to Tampa, they'd go over to St. Pete to Sunshine Speedway.

You're right about the farm boys. I use to swim in the Gulf in February while the locals were wearing winter coats. I thought they were idiots - I'll bet they thought I was a real genius.

18. racer5c

racer5c

sure is quiet in here

19. easter

easter

I know it. I guess me swimming in the Gulf in February pissed everbody off.

20. easter

easter

[​IMG]

Dick Gaines in one of Diz Wilson's cars in 1964 (Les King Photo)

21. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

It's been a little quiet here so I thought I would post a photo montage of Indianapolis 500 Rookie of the Year winners that someone gave me recently. They said this photo was handed out to attendees at the 1974 Monroe Rookie Banquet in downtown Indianapolis.

If you look closely you can see some guy whose last name starts with a "Z" in the lower part of the picture. Has anyone here ever heard of the guy? ;)

Attached Files:

22. ......I've been doing lots of little jobs on my Street Sprint since getting back off my vacation.....but one job I was not looking forward to was finishing off my exhaust.The cost of the stainless tube and dairy bends made it a no error deal....but its been cut and tacked,and I think its OK.I have to cut down the cone and make a transition joint,and make up some kind of rear mount,and its done.I am not sure how to mount the rear of the exhaust,and all the photos of sprints I've taken don't help.....perhaps you guys could help?....any suggestions would be cool......

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  23. jimg12

jimg12

I had the pleasure of racing against 2 or 3 of those guys in the midgets.

24. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Yep back when I still had a little hair and only weighed 160. Can't do much about the hair but I'm working on getting back to that weight. Denny Z.

25. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Black Vette, I've seen them clamped to the roll bar, rear nerf bar and shock mount at the frame. Whatever worked best for clearance.

26. thanks Jim......this is what I was thinking,but I think it looks a little too hi-tec......

Attached Files:

27. baldtireman

baldtireman

nice grill.....:D

28. ...Baldtireman......that was a gift from Johnny Fast.....God bless him.........

Attached Files:

29. KK500

KK500

Easter,
    Attached are pics of Benny Rapp's only body/frame damage in 7 years of IMCA.
    Am guessing '67 or 68. Also on his way to Tampa.

Jim

P.S. need Champ quickchange parts......took the cover off last week and it's EMPTY!!!! :-(

Attached Files:

30. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I will be using an outboard cradle mounted to the outside of the frame as shown in this crude wooden mock-up piece. Since some amount of compliance is desired to compensate for chassis twist and engine roll the pipe will get clamped either by a large strap clamp or a "screen door" type of spring.

[​IMG]