Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Whole interior used in another car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Britton, Oct 11, 2012.

1. I would go to search, but I don't know what to ask.
    I'm going to do a complete new interior in my 47. So far, my two firm quotes are at $12,000. No way that is going to happen.
    When I get Henry legal, I'll shlep it around looking for a reasonable price.
    In the meantime though, it occurred to me that people have used the complete interior out of one car to upgrade, or change the interior of another.
    Anyone done this? any pics? I want to explore all my options....Thanks, Mike

2. Customs used to use T-Bird interiors. I think if you take a tape and look around you may find something suitable.

3. I had a 57 Bel Air hardtop with black brocade front and back seats from a [then new] 72 Monte Carlo..fit pretty good.
    Bought a 56 Pontiac two door hardtop [same basic car inside as 57 chev] with no front seat at all. Bolted one in from a 75 Caddy coupe..several mount holes lined up. Stripped the caddy back seat cover [alll white leather], added 2 panels on the sides to fit my wider 56 Pontiac back seat cushions. Was a little work but looked nice after removing the head rests.

4. Hey Mike,,,,12,000.??? who the devil did you ask for quotes???? Too bad you dont live closer to me...I'd let you use my machine and garage space...

5. I had a tuck n roll in my '58 Buick when I hauled it to the wrecking yard. it ended up in a friends '58 impala. I don't remember what it took to make it fit (40 years ago) but it was an easy swap.

Lots of cars end up with buckets out of something else probably the easiest for front seats. Early '60s GM were real popular when I was a kid.

There is an oprion if the interior is basically solid, Rodder Boy I think is the name. they make seat covers for about one of every popular car ever built and I'll bet you could be in for less that 1500 bucks if you did the entire interior.

6. Seriously? $12,000? I would do three really nice interiors for that!

7. Beaner,
    It's EZ Boy interiors. Now part of LaBaron Bonny. Front seat, rear seat, and four side panels would be $1,300. One of my many options.

8. Like Beaner said, grab a tape measure and head to the wrecking yard. Thousands of choices. FYI, make sure the seats are out of a two door vehicle. Otherwise they wont fold forward enough to access the back seat area.

9. Well I got the boy part correct. :D Not bad in this day and age.

10. outlaw256

outlaw256

12,000.man thats more than i got in 3 complete running cars.the interior in my 53 wagon,loolto the left, has a interior from a lincoln in it and it fitts perfect. and the electric seat even work....the whole interior.

11. Ha, I had a '55 Wagon for a while in high school, no one's dad liked seeing me roll up. :eek:

I picked up a girl on my Norton one time and her dad said, " Hmmmph, motorbike, well good thing you're not in hat damned old wagon." Guess he thought my blanket was a tool roll. ;)

12. Back in the late 60's the popular upgrade interior for the 55 Chevy's was to use the seats and door panels from a 1964 Impala Super Sport.

They really looked great. HRP

13. I remember that you are correct. it must have been a universal thing across the country.

14. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I guess it all depends on what end-product you are looking for. A brand-spanking- new custom interior? Or smelly old stained junk-yard seats, soiled carpet and modified panels cobled up to fit your car? The price you pay will vary quite a bit.

15. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

back in the day ... used to go from dego to --- (teeAwana) mex
    misspelled on porpous lol
    the job was 110.00 140. on our 57's
    headliner carpet seats and panels
    1965ish time frame

:cool:

16. Yeah,now guys are scouring the local flea markets and swap meets tiring to find the original bench seats to replace those buckets and paying outrageous prices for just the springs ! :rolleyes: HRP

17. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If I lived in Tx like you do I would be heading down to TJ, it would be worth the drive. When I posted that recently, someone said you don't have to go that far any more. They said a lot of the former TJ talent is now across the border in Tx.

But regardless of where you live, $12K is pretty high, unless it is something like a Fat Lucky's interior or similar.

Don

19. He would have to go to Reynosa or Cuidad Juarez or one of the Texas border towns to get it done. Tijuana is quite a drive from where he is.

20. Search here for the 17,000.00 interior thread .

How the hell can it cost that much ?

21. Baby needs new shoes, and some meth.

22. I would certainly hope that for 17,000 bucks it would be spectacular and unlike anything we are use to seeing,,maybe baby Seal or Anaconda ? HRP

23. 48ford

48ford

What I did ,I got the seats out of a 99 chevy 1/2 ton.
    They have the seat belts built in,and tilt forward.
    Then I did my own doors and quarters in black vinal over foil faced bubble wrap from home depot,glued to 1/4" plywood
    I had to have the rear seat stiched,but it was not much,and the cloth was spot on(I gut the rear seat when I got the fronts from the chevy truck.
    It fits nice,and you can save a ton of money.
    The carpet was put over more foil faced bubble wrap.
    The carpet and material for the sides was all purched at jo ann fabrics.
    good luck
    russ

24. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

The very reason I've not finished any of my recent cars interiors since my buddy died that was a master at car interior's RIP Charlie!

25. AZbent

AZbent

That 17 grand interior had better thank you every time you farted on it.

26. For $17k price tag, I better be able to push a button and have a freakin' Elvis imitator pop out of the console like a goddamn trunk monkey and sing Jailhouse Rock.

What the hell is a $17k hot rod interior made from, armadillo foreskins?

27. If you're in the Dallas area, why not contact the Asian gal from Fast & Loud. She is good, and qrick.

28. murfman

murfman

I bought a used Singer 111W155 sewing machine for 200.00 and found a local sewing shop that does upholstery classes (Mostly Furniture but the instructor said I can bring my seats) for 400.00 I figure with material I will still be less than 1500.00 total and I will have the satisfaction of doing it myself and learning a new skill set.

29. outlaw256

outlaw256

yeah, and i saw a spring bench seat, just the damn springs go for 600. for a 55 chevy!!! as much as i love 55s id build one from plywood and foam before id give that much for the bech springs. no way!!!!!!

30. outlaw256

outlaw256

beaner, ol buddy we got to get together and have us a powwow!!!i want to bring a recorder. maybe write a book and call it confessions of 2 ol tramps..lol