Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hank Negley's "C" Class Deuce Roadster 123.79 in 1947 !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Jun 4, 2012.

1. pnegley

pnegley
    from san diego

Lo and behold, Jack Calori and his wife, Theresa, are listed in my dad's phone and address book, Billy!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

One of the photos in my book "Hot Rods In The Forties" shows the engine with a "tall" Weiand manifold and stock heads. Early in 1947 he switched to Cyclone heads. The next changes were to an Evans manifold and a Smith cam. By the end of the season the engine was using Evans heads and manifold and a Smith cam. The engine was shown as a 1942 Mercury.
    The color info is interesting because Hank gave me the color photo that appeared green and did not say that the car was purple so I assumed that it was a dark green.
    Don www.montgomeryhotrodbooks.com

3. pnegley

pnegley
    from san diego

Hi Don -- I very recently spoke with one of my father's oldest friends, and one of his earliest racing buddies, and also one of the last original Gear Grinders, Harry Ringer. Harry is in his 90's now, but there is nothing wrong with his memory. When I spoke with him, and told him I was Hank's daughter, he said to me "Oh, your dad had that purple roadster." When my dad first bought the roadster, it was black, but had it painted that beautiful purple color not long after he bought it, probably before my dad went into the Merchant Marines during WWII. Harry recounted a funny story of being in Lake Tahoe in 1947, and seeing this purple roadster going down the street, and knew it had to be my dad's car, because no other roadster was painted that color, and Harry yelled out my dad's nickname to get his attention, which worked, because my dad hit the brakes to see who was calling his name. They had a nice spur-of-the-moment reunion in Lake Tahoe that day, which Harry still remembers. (As I said, nothing wrong with Harry Ringer's memory!).

4. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

This thread is nothing but jaw-dropping in every post...
    :eek::eek::eek:

5. sololobo

sololobo

Slicker than snot on a glass door knob! ~sololobo~

6. Very cool thread. hopefully you can get more photos to scan.

7. What a great thread, thanks for sharing your memories with us Paula.:D

8. Harms Way

Harms Way

So,....... does anybody know for sure who bought this car from Hank in the time span of 1962 or 1963 ?

9. madpole

madpole

amazing story and hot rod. great thread. looking forward to more!!

10. Harms Way

Harms Way

Common guys,.... anybody know for sure,... or remember this car first hand ?

[​IMG]

11. wringerzweld

wringerzweld

My Dad(Harry Ringer) is here now chuckling at the last comment.He is happy you ended up with such a great photo of your Dad and his car.He has many fond memories of your father.walt ringer(wringerzweld).p.s.No idea of what happened to it.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  12. Harms Way

Harms Way

Wanted to bump this thread again...... Still trying to unearth ANY additional information on this awesome Deuce Roadster....... Anybody out there know Who Hank Negley sold it to back in 1962 or 1963 ?

Does anybody remember if Louie Shell ever owned it ?........ Still looking for it's owners progression.

Harry Ringer,...... Thanks so much for talking with me in detail a while ago,.... Would like to call you again very soon.

13. Harms Way

Harms Way

Somebody can put the puzzle together.............

14. Harms Way

Harms Way

:rolleyes:
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v

:cool:
    [​IMG]

:)
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    :confused:
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    ;)
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    :eek:?????????????????????????????????????

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  15. Harms Way

Harms Way

Huh...... no response....:confused:

v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    [​IMG]
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    ;)

[​IMG]
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v

:D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  16. Nobey

Nobey

Okay Harm, I'll Bite. Every 32 shell has an interesting story, and this one

is no exception. Lay it on us...........

17. Is it, is it..... Nah, can't be.

holy shit, it is!!!

Tell us the story Harms....

18. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

The story, Harms!!! :D
    Where are those last pics from?

19. Oh, almost forgot - WHERE IS THE REST OF IT???

20. Harms Way

Harms Way

Still trying to put the pieces of the story together ,.... Not exactly 100% positive yet (We want to know for sure).

It started off as a huge disappointment proving it wasn't the Louie Shell car.... But due to one picture, some minute details... and a off the cuff comment by an old SCTA guy...... The search started. And trust me..... THIS IS WAY COOLER than if it were the Louie Shell car..... Hank Negley was a truly Amazing guy !

All we have is a few other parts....
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v

I hope this is enough,.... And a Truck load of other stuff... Do you think there is enough there to rebuild it ?:cool:
    V
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Harms Way

Harms Way

Although we are not 100% Positive,.... Based on just what we know now... I actually offered my friend "Every car I own for it"...... He laughed. But I do get to do the restoration........ if it actually is.

[​IMG]

22. Harms Way - Wow! ... You've certainly "peaked (piqued) my interest" ;) in this thread again! :D

23. Harms Way

Harms Way

Does it get any better than this ?

[​IMG]

24. Now I am going to have to check this post out every hour as you really have my attention.....We need more information as to where ya got the grill shell and whats up with the rest of the roadster?
    Don't leave us all just hanging out there with our jaws laying on our keyboards.

25. myktrans

myktrans

patiently waiting for more details..... :-D

26. Harms Way

Harms Way

Guys,.......

Trust me I want to give you as much info as possible,... but as slow as the information seems to be coming to you, It's like a rocket ship compared to how it seems when your trying to unearth that next tidbit of information to put into the puzzle, That spans 5 decades. (I've been working on this for a while).

I had considered and reconsidered posting up the stuff I have in the last 24 hours thinking it's premature.... But due to The contact I have had over the last several months with Paula Negley and Harry Ringer,.. and information gleaned from those contacts. I felt letting the brotherhood of the HAMB in on the fact that the hunt is on. But again... not totally sure how it will turn out.

Is this Hanks car ?.....I am not 100% positive,... And If I can ever prove it without question. I will first and foremost tell my new friend Paula Negley... Followed by a very good friend of mine ( The current owner).. And If it does turn out to be the Hank Negley car, the first person after that will be our very own boss and the HAMB's Big Daddy Ryan...

So sit tight and relax guys... Until I am 100% convinced(which I may never be),... This is just a very cool old California Hot Rod that has A LOT in common with the Hank Negley Roadster..... :cool:

27. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is the pix I first put on the HAMB
    Here's Joe Nitti's 32
    Here's my peaked shell

Attached Files:

28. Nobey

Nobey

Maybe it's just the photo Harms way, but the peak on your shell
    doesn't go all the way to the insert like Hank's. Looks like it stops
    about a half inch up. Could be re-worked who knows. Nice find at
    any rate.....

29. Harms Way

Harms Way

Love your Deuce Don.......

The pictures were taken at different angles As can be seen with the relationship of the back of the shell... In the early pictures the shell was leaning forward and taken from a elevated vantage point... The more recent picture was taken leaning backward against a garage door from a lowered vantage point. ,.... And in fact, even tho the shell was one of the first things to start looking closer into this,.... It is one of the smallest of all the clues....

Some of you guys might want to poo-poo this.... But I have been scrutinizing all the details first hand for a number of months based on detailed information about the Hank Nagley roadster.... And a intimate knowledge of every detail of the roadster in question sense it arrived here from Southern California 15 years ago.

I was apprehensive to put up the last few posts on the car as a bit of a teaser,... and it looks like the decision to post them might have been premature based on what extremely limited information I have shared with you all so far...... (which is actually no information)

So with that..... Were going to hold off on any additional details (Like I should have done in the first place) And I will possibly share additional information when and if I can find the last few small pieces to the puzzle to prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

But thanks for all your interest......

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  30. Skrap metal

Skrap metal

Photo shot around Nov.1948, El Mirage Harry Ringer next to Bob Reese's Class "B" Roadster. Car set record of 137.61 MPH. It's a modified Model T Body w/Belly tank front end. '37 Flathead and 5th in class previous year. These are Harry Ringer's personal photos.
    Other photo are the Gear Grinders Car Club next to same car, slightly later, notice modification of intake manifold in later photo. This is all the info I have on these. Enjoy.

Attached Files: