Register now to get rid of these ads!

mission imposible, 49 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jetslide, Oct 8, 2012.

1. jetslide

jetslide
    from norway

so todays WTF, started measuring the wheel arches on both side to compare, cause i thought the one on the driverside was the most f.. up, but guess ho feelt like a complete fool when i started measuring. didnt understand sh...t, so anyway, but the repairpanels o on the floor and bended a pipe to get an idea of the opening and how to repair the inner wheel weld, or whatever its called[​IMG]
    the driverside wasn`t to far off

[​IMG]
    but the passenger side seems way off
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

'i seriously wanna find the dude that welded on this car at somepoint and give him a good kick in the ding dings. they had to be drunk or at least still high from the flower power in the 70`s when this was suposed to be done,
    so anyway, turned my attension to the door gap on the driverside to take my mind of the other problem
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    hopefully i did something right today:)

2. jetslide

jetslide
    from norway

i actually had to google ron covell, never heard about him, seems like a guy who knows what hes doing:rolleyes:

3. jetslide

jetslide
    from norway

oh, thank you curbfeeler, you just made my day, thank you wery much;)

4. LMAO!
    You guys had hippies also?

I ran into a few of those moments, but the puzzling part was they were areas not molested?

Don't forget these cars were made right after WWII, GI s were coming home, everyone wanted new cars, so GM was cranking them out, so build quality may have suffered.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. jetslide

jetslide
    from norway

thank you so wery much curbfeeler, nice to know who to ask when i`m in trouble or wondering about something, the help i get here from you and others is what makes the hamb such a great place, so once again, thanks:)

6. jetslide

jetslide
    from norway

so you`ve had your flower power moments, he he he, remeber my father told me of his hippietime, must have been fun,

thiss car took actually 1 1/2 to build, so it wasnt on the road before the late 1950`s.
    back in the days when a car was sold to norway, it came in boxes, framed off, and we had a little factory that put the cars together here, and original the factory build horse wagons, so you can imagine why it took so long to put it together, he he
    i`ve been told its only 2. 49 chevys that where put togheter here in norway, and we have some old farts that have a norwegian chevrolet club, and they could tell me the story of this car, but they tought i was wrecked since it disapaired in the 70`s after a fender bender, so therfor i think maybe the build quality suffered even more than if it had been build in US. he he

7. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

The word you're searching for is "wedges".

I'm not only super impressed that you took this difficult a project on, but also that you are documenting it so well and not even in your native language. Thanks for doing that for us all.

8. jetslide

jetslide
    from norway

thank you dan for those cind words :))
    Wedges!!!, learned a new word today:)
    thanks Dan:)))

9. gsport

gsport

boy, you sure have your work cut out for you..... look'n good so far

10. jetslide

jetslide
    from norway

naa, i`ll be done by next week, he he, if my car look half as good as your car on your avatar when i`m finished, i will be a lucky man:rolleyes:

11. radgirl

radgirl

Oh my lord it's a mission just like mine!!!! So glad to have found someone that spends hours swearing and cussing alone....yams doesn't it make you more determined!!! Beautiful car by the way :) I love it!!!

12. radgirl

radgirl

By the way I dunno what Yams means but my iPhone must lol was meant to say but boy hahahah

13. jetslide

jetslide
    from norway

:D
    todays word is YAMS, he he he
    i`m stubbern as hell so the more steps backwords in the process the more i damn it to hell and more determined i get,
    i still wanna find the last guy that welded on this car and give him a hard solid kick in the n...ts, i didnt think it was possible to have some skills in welding and still fuck up a car this badly, cause the welding aint bad, but the rest is,
    anyway, judging by the pics of your car, the guy who did that job must be shoot, no questions asked:) he he he:D

14. the boogieman

the boogieman

i started with about the same amount of rust i mean car! took me five years and now i have a very cool coup. stick with it. worth the work! then and now

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  15. jetslide

jetslide
    from norway

he he. do you have pics of your car?? love to see it,
    i was hoping i would try to build it in less than five years, but the time flyes when u r having fun, so who knows:)

16. jetslide

jetslide
    from norway

oh now i se the pics, beautiful color, i always seem to paint my cars blue,

17. RDP

RDP
    from Kansas

Proof that NO car is to far gone to rebuild!!

18. the boogieman

the boogieman

was a labor of love. was a matter of finaces and time restraints. i cut the frame and put a camaro clip under it. easy independant suspenshion and disc brakes upgrade. all new floor pans it was a mess when i got it. now i run it down the drag strip at a hundred miles an hour. new crate engine and 400 turbo trans 12 bolt posi. worth every second of the time it took to build it up. lookin at ur build brings back lots of memorys.

19. jetslide

jetslide
    from norway

i`m so sorry if i offended you curbfeeler

20. Old Iron Nut

Old Iron Nut

Looking good so far! I got lucky and found a completely rust free 51 coupe this summer. Reason it was rust free was it got rolled in the 60s and sat in a barn up until a couple years ago. I'll be doing a top replacement on it here in the next couple months. One of the previous owners did what the previous owner of yours did, he tried to fix it not know what he was doing (now the top sits 1/2 inch further to the passenger of the car and the top is still beat all to heck). Mine will be a good reason for a chop. :)

Keep up the good work, looks like you have the skill to do it!

21. jetslide

jetslide
    from norway

thats true, i have seen here on hamb people jumping on far worse car than this and made a beautiful showroom, showoff car:D
    so that means its hope for me as well:)

22. jetslide

jetslide
    from norway

always a pleasure bringing a fellow hamber down memory lane:)

23. jetslide

jetslide
    from norway

thank you Old iron nut.
    nice to know i`m not alone on other shitty work. looking forward to your thread:)

24. the boogieman

the boogieman

some before shots and after i redid the inside as well as redid a steering wheel.

Attached Files:

25. jetslide

jetslide
    from norway

beautiful boogieman loved it, what cind of steering column did you use?

26. Old Iron Nut

Old Iron Nut

Hoping to start my build thread here soon. Got the car drive-able over the summer, so enjoying it while the weather is still reasonable.

If you need any measurements or pictures of anything, let me know, I have the body mostly stripped right now (other than the couple things I need to make it street legal), other than the drivers quarterpanel and the top, most of the rest of the body is pretty straight.

27. jetslide

jetslide
    from norway

thank you Old iron nut, thats nice of you:)
    yes drive while you can, here the winter is knocking on the door so i have parked my chevelle for the winter

28. Old Iron Nut

Old Iron Nut

Glad to do it if it gets another one back on the road. :)

Winter is almost here as well, only a couple weeks left before it starts to freeze in the evenings.

29. jetslide

jetslide
    from norway

nice to know whe`re good curbfeeler

30. jetslide

jetslide
    from norway

thanks for your support:)