Register now to get rid of these ads!

FLATCAD RACING Bonneville 2011 Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38FLATTIE, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Sweet
    Congratulations guys!
    I'm sure you guys are learning something new every run

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. Keep the records coming! Wish I could be there, always wanted to see how the truck would do on pavement.

3. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Keep 'em coming! By the looks of it, the tee shirts you print with records broken will need to be down to our ankles! I want one!

4. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Congrates Flatcad crew, looks like you guys are getting things sorted out with all the records your breaking!!! Tim Jones

5. Yeah - I made it ALL the way to the end (didn't go past the end) and deliberately turned the car around on the LEFT side of the track facing back up the track (thinking that would make the tow easy). Also, didn't want anything to leak on the track, so I pulled onto the grass apron. BAD IDEA :eek:: As I forgot the left side is the "I'm in danger!" side.

So about 15 seconds after stopping and starting the 'get out of the belts fun' - I see all the crews come racing, lights blazing and now I've shutdown the track . . . you then realize that you're the dumbass that just caused all the drama (not a proud moment). So as TMAN said - might as well have crapped my pants and sat there in it, would not have made it any worse on me.

I will say that the ECTA track crew (and the FlatCad team) were very professional, to the point and also gentleman in their conversations with me - can't say enough about them. Obviously safety is #1 - Keith T. was gracious but clear in his talk with me . . . all of which I deserved.

If I'd pulled the chute earlier and quit thinking about it opening and just stepped on the brakes a LOT harder, wouldn't have had any issues. You might say I learned something on Saturday . . . to NOT do again. There was absolutely no reason for me to not make the turn-out . . . so the blame is squarely on me.

Okay, Back to the Engine: On the 138 run, for some reason the rev limiter or maybe the boost level caused us to float some valves and kill some plugs. The car was geared for 140, it did 138 and was only running on 4 cylinders in 3rd and 4th. (The tach needle jumps all over the place due to nosie - which we will fix). The engine is a beast - that is for sure. Danny ran it up to 6100 in 3rd for his 152 run and it was pulling like mad.

Magneto Noise Issues: We have a LOT of noise in the ignition system (big 4 amp mag) and the rev limiter and tach/signal control boxes are only about 6 inches from the external mag coil - and my guess is that there is a ton of noise coming off the coil that is playing hell with our electronics. Our data logger is inside the car and it picks up a hell of a lot of noise (graph data points bounce all over the place). I'm going to pull all the electronics for the winter and set them all up (with the mag) on my distributor machine and get this all sorted out.

Okay - enough for now . . . need to get some work done!

Thanks for listening.

B&S

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
    Tman likes this.
  6. Congrats Dale. At least now you know what not to do, ah life is a learning curve. Of course as my dad would say "why are you trying to learn so much so soon"...........

You guys need to put an audio stream up for us to hear the Flat Cad at full song would love to hear that!!!!!

Anyway congrats to all of you again......

7. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Congrats to the Flatcad crew:)! Just thinking of next season, the records really gona fall when you get some stuff sorted out and switch to alcohol:D!

8. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

this is cool your meeting Walter Nakamura

quote "We were all working to get the car back on the track, and I kept noticing a gentleman of Japanese descent watch us curiously, and he seemed pretty interested in the flathead.

I got to a point where I could chat, so I made my way over to him.He introduced himself, and we chatted about the FlatCad for a while.

Walter Nakamura was his name, and he owns the Meteor lakester-very probably the first Cadillac flathead powered dry lakes racer! Needless to say, I forgot what was going on in the pits, and chatted about the car his dad and 2 friends had built. Wow, what are the chances?"

Best of Luck with the FLATCAD breaking more records

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  9. no bux rod

no bux rod

Way to GO FlatCad team! The Ohio mile sure is a different environment than B'ville. Looks to be easier on the car and crew.

Not sure what your stroke is but the piston speed must be through the roof. The coated psitons certainly help make this possible.

B&S, I will PM you with some help on the electrical interference (EMI) you are haveing with the electronics.

N B R

10. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Ditto that!

11. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

There have been several FlatCad in car videos with sound posted from the Bonneville runs.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  12. The in-car cameras that we used at Bonneville were ones that were designed to be weather proof . . . so the sound quality is really muffled. Next year we'll have the models that do record sound well.

I do have some videos from outside the car that have some good quality sound - haven't posted them as of yet (been short on time!). I'll get them cleaned up (lots of wasted video) and get them posted.

13. Thats what I'm talking about Dale, would love to hear her at full song at the finish line!!!!!

14. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

What a year!

Bonneville was great, even if the car was set up too light.

The Ohio Mile was a big learning experience, engine wise. We had been taking little steps all year long, and Sunday I decided to roll the dice. Much to Dale's consternation, I decided to run the engine HARD, with a max tune on. 16lbs boost, shut the rev limiter off, and told Danny to drive the effing car to 6000. Dale was very hesitant, but I said something like "Eff it- we built it to race, not take pictures of!"

Unfortunately, I thought we could pull the 2.96 gears in the mile, and have a speed of 169. Wrong-the track is just too short! I should have left the 3:08's in there. Danny drove the wheels off of the car, and crossed the finish line in 3rd gear, at 152.592 mph, and 6100 rpms.

The engine sounded like an angry herd of water buffalo! So, we know the engine has a LOT of potential left, if we make the right tweaks to it this winter.

....and Dale, we won't run it like that again!

..........Unless we have to, to make 200mph!:eek:;):D

15. Go Gettum BUDDY!!!!!

16. Best thing I've heard yet! ;)

17. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Thanks Rich! That means a lot coming from a guy with your accomplishments!

Thanks for all of the support, everyone! It means the world to the FlatCad Team, and we sure appreciate it!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  18. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

You guys are gona get more fans for shure:D!

And I have not sold the `49......Really makes my brain spinn:)!
    Hope to get my butt out to see you next year.

Kjell

Taildragger&fenderless

19. Speed Voyeur

Speed Voyeur

Way to go - continuing to break records!! Keep it up! Nice pix of the FlatCad at The Mile. Did the 'Chief of Libations (ah...booze) and Photography' take some of those? :)

20. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Haha! Yes you/she did! Lmao!

Love the handle and avatar!:D

Here are some more Ohio Mile pics by Woody!

Attached Files:

21. sr808

sr808

Those heads are works of art.

22. [​IMG]

now that is one cool picture...................

23. I agree Carl. ^^^^^

24. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Amen to that!

25. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Really a cool pcture Carl:)

Buddy, tell me if you have gotten any mail from Arkansas latly:)!

Kjell

Taildragger&fenderless

26. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

No, Kjell, I haven't- but I've been at work since the 3rd of this month.....

27. pops29

pops29
    from turlock ca

Here is a few pics of the test chambers for flow testing . I will also post a video of our CNC cutting as soon as I can get help form Lance our resident Gooroo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    note the cutter was stopped by the camera..it was at 8000 rpm when I took the pic.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tman likes this.
  28. Hey Pops, got back from Eagle and what did I find in the mail.........hey thankx for the key hanger its super cool................

29. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Chambers look great Don! They should be perfect for what we need to do.

All of your work is just perfect! You never cease to amaze me!:cool:

30. keeper

keeper
    from So Cal

It's been a while Buddy, I hope all is well.