Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Custom Car builder Spotlight: AYALA BROTHERS

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Rik any idea how long Wally ran the car in Blackwalls rather than the wide whites? Did it seem to just be a trying to save up enough money to buy type thing?

2. Thanks for those pics Rik.I seriously love that car and that engine is gorgeous looking.It makes me feel better about the chrome I did under my hood,reminds me that the era did like great looking engines as well as going fast.Im sure Gil and Al made sure Mr.Evans took good care of Wally's flathead.

K13.... I don't think Wally ever had to worry about saving money to buy stuff,I think his family did pretty well but I could be wrong.I know they had a drugstore but im not sure if they also owned the restaurant that was a backdrop for a lot of customs.I think even Ralph Testas car used it for a feature.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  3. I wouldn't have thought so either but this build seems to be past the time where guys were still running blackwalls on customs and you would think that would have been one of the first things to get changed.

4. Rikster

Rikster

The Welch Restaurant was another Welch, no family, or at least not close to Wally Welch. The drugstore in Burbank however was his fathers.

5. ^^ Ya I always wondered about that restaurant and if there was a connection to Wally.I think it looks really cool with Customs parked in front of it.

6. Rikster

Rikster

7. That is such a great picture Rik! The Ayala's ruled there is just something so organic and perfect about the way they customized cars.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. 53chevy

53chevy

It's funny that Holland's (opposite of Wally, in the red checkered shirt) custom was almost a carbon copy of Wally's, except color of course.

Ken

9. One of my favorite covers of alltime.The cars,colors, clothes and the set up.Al with one leg thru the windshield as he works on the legendary 40.I just love the way the fadeaway looks on Gils car on this cover shot,it just flows into that caddy rear quarter like it was its destiny.

10. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Mmmmm... this is pure magic!

11. So slick! Classic Ayala!!

Attached Files:

12. It is isn't it ??? I can't get over that Wally Welch convert and the pic k13 just posted is beyond my writing abilities.I really can't express in words what that car does to me.

If this shitty economy ever changes and I get my hands on some more cars........you can bet that there will be some Ayala history coming to life.Jerry's mercury has always been special to me so it really influenced my build but if I was to do it again.........I would spend a lot of time thinking which way I would go with the build.The direction my next sled will be going will be Olympic Blvd. :)

13. uploadfromtaptalk1353345000731.jpg

Well here is Gils Merc drawing in a crowd as it did in the photos of the 1951 Oakland show,when it was parked behind Sams freshly chopped49.I think it is safe to say that this mercury was like a magnet everywhere it went.Im sure the sound of that Evans powered 129mph flathead helped bring people in as well.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

14. koolkemp

koolkemp

[​IMG]

I love this pic! Its been a huge inspiration for my 47.

15. hopped up

hopped up
    from So Cal

Thumbs up for this awesome thread!

16. It's interesting that he didn't run spots on this car.

17. Yes ^^^ I wish this car would of had spotlights,I think it really needed them.

18. Was Gil's 42 Bronze? It looks so dark in most of the pictures I have a hard time picturing it that color.

19. Rikster

Rikster

It was a bronze color first. Then later it was dark blue.
    I think most of the photos of the car were taken when it was dark blue.
    The color change most likely happened when Gil changed bumpers as well

20. Rikster

Rikster

I came across this on the Rod & Custom site.

Does anybody know anything more about this car?

[​IMG]

Text and photo from www.rodandcustommagazine.com

Jim Apodaca sent us this picture of his brother Bob’s ’40 Merc. President of the East L.A. Hoods Car Club, his Merc was both chopped 6 inches and channeled a similar amount, with leaded seams and molded gravel pans front and rear. The doors and trunk were electrically operated, while the taillights were replaced with motorcycle lights. Most of the bodywork was done at Gil’s Auto Body in East L.A. before it was painted in Forest Green Metallic lacquer.

White tuck ’n’ roll covered the entire interior, which featured chopped-down seats. The steering column and pedals were also cut down to match the new seating position. The drivetrain was extensively modified, with a Lincoln Zephyr transmission, a Hudson differential, and a Chevy clutch on a lightened flywheel. Power came from a bored ’40 Merc Flathead with a 3/4 race cam, Edelbrock heads and manifold, and four Stromberg carburetors. These were fed by an electric fuel pump, while the dual exhaust employed Smitty’s mufflers. Two short, chromed pipes extended to the rear of each front wheelwell for uncapped use at the Santa Ana Drags.

21. Ahh thanks Rik makes sense.

22. uploadfromtaptalk1353393140654.jpg

Such a gorgeous car,a very seldom seen picture here.

23. Rikster

Rikster

Here are a bit larger versions of the two photos you just posted Jeff...

The photos are now part of the Zeke Carrillo Collection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Thanks for that Rik,they look much better bigger.

Ya I saw that 40Merc writeup at the bookstore in the newest issue.I was just thumbing thru.I dont know anything about that car but not surprised another custom/racecar out of the Ayala stable.Everyone around them for the most part was into speed as well as looks.

25. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Thanks for the photos Jeff, they're awesome. Can't get enough of the Ayala stuff !

26. Cool stuff as always guys. Rik, was there any indication of the time period that Bob Apodaca had his car (looks pretty early)? I wonder when interiors began to be done in white.

Dave

27. Any clue why they would use a '46-'48 hood on a '42?

28. Well not too exciting but I decided to take the scenic route on my way home today.Well exciting for me this is one of the Holygrail locations of Customs for me.I decided to make a pass by the old Ayala land today.As many times as I have done this I still get a little bit of chills and ear to ear grin.Gils old sign is still up and the old house of chrome little building.

Attached Files:

29. That's cool Jeff. I was hoping you had found a new picture of one of their builds or something but anything to bring the Ayala's back to the top is worth it.

30. ^^^ Ya I know same old boring stuff. :) I wish I had some early build photos or some news to share.I sure woud love to see some build pics of Gils 40 or Louies 49.There has to be some stuff out there that hasn't been seen in decades.