Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Another survivor found,A Bitchin 32 Roadster!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by titus, Mar 6, 2012.

1. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I know where he is coming from. That is the best plan I have heard..... Wow..no love for the un-boxed original frame....that thing is way nicer then what I am running..I am with you man,run it like it always has been.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

chryslerfan55 and volvobrynk like this.
  2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Great story and great car. Good luck with the restoration.

3. Babyearl

Babyearl

I totally agree,, let the man drive the car,, there is always time later to do the extras. Nobody needs headaches.

4. titus

titus

Made some more progress, we got the body back on, the subrails repaired and the rear floor done, also got the e-brake set up working correctly.

there rear floor had been reworked to clear the rear tube crossmember, so had the front section of the rear floor, dunno why, maybe rust, but i was looking at the front section and noticed some embossing in the metal, i scraped off the embossed letters and came up with half of some letter and d and then an E, so i was thinking, wtf sign is it, ive seen the colors before but couldnt place it, then i figured it out Exide, so i attached a pic of the floor and the exide sign, you be the judge! :)

Stay tuned for more.

jeff

downsized_0917121114.jpg downsized_0917121142.jpg 0925120945.jpg 0925121212.jpg downsized_0925120907.jpg downsized_0925120956.jpg downsized_0925121236.jpg IMG_5156.jpg IMG_9279.jpg IMG_8075.jpg IMG_0152.jpg photo.JPG HF09_L528_01.jpg

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  5. so_dak_kid

so_dak_kid

nice job Jeff! Glad to see the car is going to be left the way a survivor car should be!

6. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Great car, great story. But, with all your effort for authenticity and making things correct why would you use tube shocks instead of lever type, and I really don't understand why you would use an off the shelf lower shock mount.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass but I see so many restorations get so close and then loose it with details like this. I also have to agree about the weird shock angle, yes it certainly will work but it sure is gonna look weird from the back. It makes me think you took the easy way out instead of doing it how it would have been done in '59 like the rest of the car.

Sorry for the rant, regardless of my opinion, it is going to be a great reward for the owner.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. titus

titus

Theres tube shocks on the front, they were put on it before Ed got the car, and he got the car in 1959, so contrary to many beliefs, tube shocks were actually probably more popular and taditional than lever shocks. remember tube shocks were an option on 1940 fords, one of the first thing people did to their cars were to put tube shocks and hydrolic brakes on them.

On the shock mount brackets, they were there and they worked, the car has a rolled rear pan and they will be painted black and will never be noticed. this is a customers car, if i made every bracket and part for it hed want to kill me when he got the bill. Oh and the car is getting a 12 volt battery too, but i guess thats not traditional. And id still like someone that can come up with a true theory on why the shock mounted at that angle wont work, again, its just that were not use to seeing them that way, what about the gm trucks that one shock goes forward and one goes backwards? Oh and if youve heard the full story on the car you would know I guided Ed away from putting a 302 ford in it. Me and Ed discussed alot of things about the car, i talked to him about the traditional hot rod thing, the survivor aspect of it etc etc, and thankfully Ed was very receptive to it.

Im really not in the mood to debate more about whats right or wrong for the car, and whats good and whats not good, so i wont reply to any more of those types of questions, im just going to be posting updates of what i do to the car etc etc, if you dont like it dont say anything.

thanks for all the positive comments on the car.

JEFF

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  8. I've always wondered about the Chevy truck shock thing too.

I love the work you do to these cars!
    Look forward to seeing more.

9. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Jeff thanks for sharing the rebirth of the roadster and if you need a replacement sign floor pan:D let me know very cool car

10. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Good job on hitting the "reset button" !

11. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Jeff, keep up the great work! I hope that I get to see this car in two weeks when I swing over.
    Take care,
    jesse

12. __________________

Don't get the joke, Hero of what?

13. gonzo

gonzo

Bad ass car and the best part is that this dude is finally going to get his rig on the road after all these years! I like that nothing is being done to change the character.

14. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

So in theory if you wait long enough everything comes back into style... I look at you like Ivwould the person who saves endagered animals... Think what could have been had he decided to go the way of a billet roadster, to each his own but that little roadster has survived so many years like it is. Good job man keep us updated.

15. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

16. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Jeff I can't believe all the grief you're getting, I think you've done a stellar job! Keep it up!

17. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I couldnt agree more!

18. any other parts are ya lookin for may see ya at the roadster swap?
    ifn your not baby sittin:)

19. _____________

it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards!!--Bad work in the 50s or 60s is just that bad work, as it is today.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  20. titus

titus

Please stop posting on this thread, the car was very well build back in the day, ive seen bad 50s and 60s work and this is not it, your only looking at some not so good pics, and thats what your basing your opinion on, if seen other posts of yours and your never gonna get it so please stay away from this thread.

21. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

You've obviously never seen Jeff's work. I'm pretty sure that if there were any bad work in that frame and he felt obligated to see that they got repaired, then he would. If he thinks it's fine, then it's fine. It's a hot rod, not a Ridler competitor.

There's a big difference between seeing something on a computer monitor versus seeing it in person.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  22. Green49Ford

Green49Ford

Jeff doesn't put shit on the road. He is a true builder and wouldn't drive anything dangerous or poorly built.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Well said Jeff. Some people don't get it. Never will

24. titus

titus

We did get some more work done on the car too, we put new kingpins in it and new tie rod ends for the tie rod, also reinstalled the front backing plates and put a set of religned shoes and new wheel cylinders in it, i turned all the drums, repacked the front wheel bearings and rears and installed new seals and put the drums on it too, so the body is going to come off one more time, well run all the brake lines and fuel lines and battery cables etc etc and then do a quick paint job on the rear frame horns and put the body back on, so it should come together pretty quickly.

We also got the 16" rims blasted and primed for the front, somewhere along the line it lost its 16's on the front and got white walls all the way around, Ed wanted blackwalls back on it so we ordered a new set of stones for it, 550-16 on the front and 750 on the rear, the 750s were still on it so that was easy to figure out, the front 16s were gone and Ed didnt remember what size, so i winged it, i think we go it, well find out!

jeff

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  25. F&J

F&J

Question on the front axle drop: See those straight lines from the bending process, across the dropped area? Is that typical of the taffy axles, or specific to a certain axle shop?

I "think" Dave50's 32 5w from Cal, has the exact same axle with the identical marks in the same spots. At this point my memory is getting iffy, but I think it was his car :eek:

What a car that old roadster is.... Awesome thread.

chryslerfan55 and Dave50 like this.
  26. titus

titus

The axle in the car is a Dago unit, done probably by Ed "Axle" Stewart of San diego, hence the "dago",

the Dago Axles were actually "blacksmithed" instead of the way mor-drop axles were stretched into shape, there was a post about dago axles done a while back that was a very neat thread, other than the fact that no one still seems to know how exactly they did it, i know the basic idea of what they did but what tools and process, we think they maybe they heated the end, used a power hammer (or by hand:eek:) and ahmmered the end down lengthening, they they had a fixture to rebend of reshape the ends.

alot of people dont like the looks of the dago axles but i love em, its all about charactor.

the other 32 survivor coupe i did also had a dago axle.

to me the Dago was probably the earliest dropped axle on the market, and i tend to think i can date the start of a build weather it had a dago of mor-drop axle.

jeff

27. titus

titus

I also got the 550-16s mounted up for the front and test fit, they clear the fenders!

jeff

Attached Files:

28. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Ha Ha... I replaced the original hammer dropped "Dago" axle I had under my 29 PU with a "Titus" axle because the Dago was so out of wack.

Keep on trucking with that roadster. I hope to see it at BTTF's next year.

29. Jeff, This is looking good guy...I was wondering just a few weeks back how this build was going. Spring time should be ready to hit the roadways. I keep getting a warm fuzzy feeling when looking at this roadster...

30. LordoftheDance

LordoftheDance
    from Fargo, ND

Wow!! Awesome thread, Jeff!