Register now to get rid of these ads!

What the HELL is going on with Rustoleum?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TeamEvil, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

I painted my beater shop truck with Orange Rustoleum and had good luck with it. Followed the instructions on the can.

[​IMG]

Too Each Their Own........ Happy Trails

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  2. shooter6

shooter6

Definitly!^^^^ You should not accept that kind of shotty work!

3. May Pop

May Pop

I spray the quart type with a cheap HVLP Harbor freight touch up gun. I reduce it with about 1/3rd of acetone. Never had a crazing or lifting problem whether I let the rusty metal primer dry 1 hour or overnite before recoating. I always try to do the best prep work possible. Sometimes just a clean up with mineral spirits on oily parts and the Rustopeum sticks real well. Ive found the Rustoleum better than the Ace in my opinion.
    Ive also gotten headaches from the acetone where lacquer,enamel and mineral spirits have not.
    Ron

4. Bluedot

Bluedot

I've used R-O and Krylon. I find them comparable paint-wise, but prefer the Krylon for their fan pattern spray nozzle. Best nozzles I've ever seen on a rattle can. You can flip the tip for a vertical or horizontal spray pattern. And the Krylon dries much faster in my opinion. You can shoot something and handle it within 15-20 minutes. Shortest dry time of anything I've ever used in a rattle can, and it seems I'm always in a hurry.

I also like Valspar's "American Tradition". Also dries very quickly, but doesn't have the nice Krylon nozzle.

5. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

I also spray Rustoleum qt cans with cheap $9 HF gun, those guns pay for themselves even if you only get 2 times of use out of them.

I still have access to good old pre-cat laquer, you can spray on 5-6 coats of that stuff, dries every 30 min here in so cal.

6. Weasel

Weasel

Normally within 20 minutes. I had the paint reaction thing with Eastwood radiator paint when I recoated after 12 hours....:mad:

7. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

I just buy Rustoleum by the quart,
    thin with acetone. Shoot with a
    cheap chinese gun. No problems.

Plus it keeps me in practice for shooting real paint.

8. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

What, no Avocado Green or Harvest Gold? :D

9. My beater has panels on it I painted with spray can Rustoleum that have been through a couple winters with no issues. It rusts again in spots where I didn't prep it the best, but that's about all.

I have noticed the crazing sometimes, moreso with the Painters Touch (which is also sold under a 2X coverage brand in K-mart stores, but seems to be the same paint). Let it cure, sanded it out and hit it again and no problems.

10. zeuglodon

zeuglodon

I've been in the printing business for 30+ years.

The assholes in government keep changing the allowable formulation of paints/inks/etc. for various reasons at the behest of the environmental fringe to the point where everything now works like shit.

Nobody really has to prove that the old formulation was harmful/dangerous. It's up to the producers to prove it isn't. Keep voting for these liberal assholes and soon we'll be painting our cars with watercolors (if we're lucky)

11. I should add, I suspect too you get slight variation in the mix from can to can, there must be a percentage of error that's acceptable when they make the stuff.

12. dadseh

dadseh

WTF ??? all the paint has fell off the hood man!!

13. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

Amen, Brother! Preach it so we all understand.

Most of the new paints out on the market are water-based.

November election is coming. Are you registered? Are you voting?

14. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Let's keep the stupid political crap out of it - per the rules.

15. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

I've never been a rustoleum rattle can fan. Don't believe I've ever tried the quart enamels. I still very much prefer Krylon for rattle can stuff. The only problem I have with krylon is finding it these days. All the retailers seem to be dropping it.

I was in a Sears store some time back and remembered they used to have a good stock of Krylon. I couldn't find it right off, asked someone and found that Sears doesn't sell paint at all anymore. No house paint, nothing.

16. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Home Cheapo has LOTS of it out here.

17. The Rustoleum "industrial" brands of spray can paint called "Hard Hat" dry much faster and seem to work a lot better. I think only sold at industrial supply houses, Fastenal (YUCK), MSC, Grainger, etc.

For work, I use a water base semi-gloss "dipping enamel" made by Forrest Paint Co in Oregon...... I HATED the stuff the first time I used it this past August on a hot drippy humid day...didn't adhere (brushed on), took forever to dry, etc.

Then I used it on a dryer cooler fall day a couple weeks ago, as well as yesterday and MAN that stuff is amazing! It's thin as water but covers bare steel very well and drys rock hard in 10-20 minutes!

If this could be any indication of what's 'round the bend in water based spray can paints I say BRING IT ON!

dk

PrestonH likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.