Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bad Banana Resurrection - 55 Chevy Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Banana, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Not much change. He is still in the hospital but stable. I talk to him on the phone as much as possible. Thanks for asking. :)

2. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

That was last year right after we got it running. It had worn out rear tires and junk rear shocks and we hadn't figured out what it liked from a starting line launch RPM yet either. It had done a decent wheelstand earlier in the day but obviously not on that run.

The last video I posted showed the rear suspension in the first two clips. The first one was the very first time trial at Beaver Springs and it walked left in the wheelstand like it has been doing. I was able to review the video after the run and make two adjustments to the rear suspension and the next clip is the result. It went straight down the track every pass the rest of the weekend. :D;)

If you slow it down and compare, you can see what changes I made to fix it. ;) Also, I think it is cool that you can hear the wheelie bars hit the track. I can hear and feel that in the car during the run.

3. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

FYI for local guys... We are headed to Milan for the nostalgia race this Saturday. Weather is looking good at this point. Probably the last time out for the season. Hopefully, I can find the funds make a few changes this winter. Should start to become more HAMB friendly as I go along. My NEW goal is to keep it as fast or faster than it is now but possibly make some visual changes to make it look more "period correct" ;):D

Stay tuned..:cool:

4. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Just read the whole thread again, hope your father is doing good and great job on the car!

5. Saxxon

Saxxon

best wishes for your father...

Good luck in Milan. You guys down South have no idea how lucky you are to be in the middle of your favorite sport or hobby. I'm in the middle of Freak'n nowhere...Well...Winnipeg... which is somewhere, but not close to the vintage and nostalgia action. Or another track for that matter. In fact, our track's last race date is this weekend. Then it's the long winter hibernation until May...

Play safe

6. cooljunk

cooljunk

See you there Rusty.

7. A-Wall

A-Wall

Just finished reading the whole thread, very inspiring, amazing history and story! I'm just across the pond in Windsor so maybe I'll get to see this car run someday at Milan or GB!

8. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

It will be at Milan tomorrow. Funny cars, gassers, FEDs, altereds, bald and grey haired guys as far as the old, nearly blind, eyes can see!! How could you pass it up? :D No time like the present. We could all be dead by spring. Life is short. Have fun!;)

Seriously though... you should come out. Nice weather is about gone for 6 months. Just ask Saxxon ...:)

We're nearly loaded and ready to go. Couple more things to throw in and we're off in the morn.

9. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

See all you guys there John

10. A-Wall

A-Wall

I was just looking into it, if i can get someone to come with me I'll be there!

11. BTW

BTW
    from Michigan

Thought you might be interested in seeing a photo I took back in 1961 of a car called Bad Banana[​IMG] I believe it was at Motor City Dragway

12. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Very cool! Quite a header collector on that bomb!

13. BTW

BTW
    from Michigan

Don't remember too much about the car...I was 7 when I took this. I just ran across this going through some old pictures. I think my parents always regretted ever taking me to the strip. lol

14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Bad...were you in Capac, Michigan Sunday Sept. 23 during the Capac Autofest? Car wasn't in the actual show...sittin' on the main drag in front of the restaurant? Had to be you. Saw ya. Your Chevy really caught my eye. One of the truly BAD lookin' cars in town that day.

Best wishes to your you, your dad, and your family. Good luck with the '55!

15. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Sold.. i just bought it. I don't have any pictures that good of it from that time frame. I do have one from that same day I believe. The shoe polish seems to match and the cloud cover is similar.

[​IMG]

16. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Yes... we were there and thanks. :D

17. pregrid

pregrid

I'm sorry I just don't get that. If I owned that pic I'd just send it to ya. Free!
    $13.00? huh....................................

18. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Quick note on the last time out last Saturday. Only made two runs. It felt down on power on the first run and had kind of a surge in it going down track. It was doing some of that the last time out at Beaver Springs. You can hear it in the last video I posted on here from BSD. It only went a 10.37 @ 126mph on the first run and with the cool air and no wind it should have been better. Second run it felt real weak when it left the line and it barely pulled the front wheels. Picked up a bit after it left then fell on it's face some at the gear change. It wasn't pulling like ususal in high so I got scared and backed off just before the stripe and it when 10.75 @ 122 mph... :eek:

Brough it back to the pits. Oil pressure was fine and all the header tubes were hot so it was hitting on all 8 cylinders. I decided it was not worth the risk of doing some damage by running it more so we packed up and brought it home. :(

Took a look at it a couple days ago. Oil filter clean, valve train appears OK, compression is perfect on all 8 cylinders, spark plugs look pretty good. I think the engine is healthy but I am wondering if it sucked an intake gasket. We did forget to remove the injector cover on one run about 2 races ago and it sucked that vinyl cover into a couple stacks in the burnout before I figured out what happened. I am hoping that is what I find when I take the intake off. I need to change a couple things with the intake so I was planning on taking it off this winter anyway.

We have been running this thing with a Frankenstein fuel system ever since we got it running. It is time to fix the fuel system correctly and make a couple other tweaks to the car to get it to run a little better. I have run it enough now to know what I need to change.

More to come.. :D;)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  19. derbydad276

derbydad276

20. cooljunk

cooljunk

21. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Got the pic from Ebay (Thanks Carl):D

[​IMG]

22. slammed

slammed

You got to find some wheels like these, even if they are loaners.

23. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Ya know... Austin and I were just talking about this. I am thinking of putting longer stacks on it and looking for wheels like this. I am worried about the weight though... :(

We'll see... it is a long winter..;)

24. slammed

slammed

Do it for shows and pix. Then bolt on the race ware to race. Some Pro Stars would look old time.

25. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

i feel your pain----i wish they made lightweight alum rim that will take a reg wheelcover --or at least look like an orig wheel

26. TDWZ28

TDWZ28
    from Michigan

I think I have a set like the front ones. If you are interested in them, I'll see if I can dig them out. You can have them.

27. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Yea... the price is right! This car takes 4 1/2" bolt circle wheels (Econoline). So its Ford and Chry bolt pattern. Need narrow ones for the front.

Car has 15x12 on the rear (also 4 1/2" bolt circle). Anyone have any chrome like in that picture like that? I think Early Wheel Company in CA still makes them?

28. TDWZ28

TDWZ28
    from Michigan

I'm pretty sure the ones I have are 4 3/4. I'll dig em out and double check.

I do have a set of steel wheels that are 4 1/2. They are 14 x 5. They have the lug nut holes, then there are 5 other holes that are about 3/8". I'm about 6 miles east of Davison if you want them.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012