Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ugly??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by orange52, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orange52

orange52

I was browsing a non automotive forum and saw a thread about ugly cars, so I had to look. Most were modern, outrageously big wheeled, examples. But then someone posted this. Some wide whites, different hubcaps, the right color paint, and change the exhaust, and this might be a really cool ride.

Attached Files:

2. deuce354

deuce354

I think it looks pretty cool the way it is. Pretty cool art deco look

3. goose-em

goose-em
    from Louisiana

Since all I can really see is the front of this thing I offer the following.

Is it just me or do the headlights and grille combo, along with those big featureless fenders make this look like a sea horse?

I would think that moving the headlights to a frenched in fender mount may clean it up a little.

4. Yes ugly, but still cool as hell.

5. whisky runner

whisky runner

i am sure who ever spent many, many hours building it dont think it is ugly... we all have different tastes for sure..ha ha ha ha

6. liljonny

liljonny
    from menifee,ca

I think if there was a different set of pics it would be better to judge. But that pic, I like it from the cowl on back. Looks cool.

7. Anderson

Anderson

No, they were right.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. Personally,I think it's fugly! HRP

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I don't see how you could improve on the looks of a 50's Jaguar, or why you'd even consider trying it. Gary

10. Looks like someone screwed with an old Jag. I don't think I would go as far as ugly maybe homley. It would look better with a tan, like in griddle fried black tan, as in midnight in the cypress swamp black. ;)

11. No, it's a cut down of some sort made to look a little like a Jag. Probably a 37-42 American car, without better pix hard to tell just what.

12. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

I think it's kinda cool. I'd like to see some pics of it. Anyone know anything about it?

13. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I agree - no part of that car was ever a true Jaguar (except the shiney bits that have been added).

I think rusty is correct- prewar Gringo coupe or convertible that somebody 'tinkered' with just a little. More pictures would likely bring up just a bit more bile.....

14. Yup, it's ugly... Looks like a 48 Olds crossed with a 50s Jaguar. The body is too big to work with the scale of the Jag front, IMO.

15. Looks like the last dump I took,

without the corn.

16. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Looks old Jag to me . Not ugly , but not my bag of tea either.

17. 24riverview

24riverview

I'm guessing 47-48 Chevy. Back to the 50's 2008.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Yeah, now that I see it there, 42-48 Chevy, or possibly Pontiac or small Olds.

Clearly the front was designed by someone on a three-day bender trying to draw a picture of a Jaguar.

19. jimvette59

jimvette59

WTF. It hurts !

20. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a C-Type's ugly cousin sucking on a lemon! Someone shoot it, Quickly!!

Doc.

21. Alex D.

Alex D.
    from Hydes, MD.

It has potential. A little bit of paint can cover a multitude of sins.

22. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

Was thinking the same thing...it has a tiny little squished up "face" lol...

23. I don't think anything can fix that kind of ugly.......

24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I heard it was by that famous rogue Italian designer, Fugletti. Gary

25. Well, you know the old saying, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", .......... but some of these "beholders' might wanna get their eyes checked. :confused:

My opinion: it's a little edgy. I see some potential, but just not my taste.

26. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

What's wrong with it? Who says you can't have everything?

1. Bad choice of idiom. Some of the most respected names in the coachbuilding business struggled in vain to deal with the wide late-'40s chassis with engines over the front axle. People who really knew what they were doing perpetrated some fairly gruesome atrocities on post-war Rolls-Royce, Bentley, etc. chassis: I wouldn't expect an amateur to get it right by accident. With hindsight we can see how coachbuilders like Graber eventually came up with a happy solution, but that already takes us into a '50s or even '60s idiom.

2. Bad observation and very superficial understanding of the sort of thing the builder was trying to emulate, hence the huge front overhang. It's not so much that the grille is in the wrong place; the front axle is! This thing needs a serious stretch and then some paring-down and cutting-away around the front.

3. Bad execution: it was apparently hoped that some fairly serious formal problems would go away if they were ignored. They didn't. The transitions to the fender tops and the hood weren't thought through, for instance.

Anything can be fixed. This one? The aforementioned stretch in the engine area, perhaps with a lesser slice out of the passenger area. The hood needs to be formed the old way, out of sheetmetal in simple curves, instead of the bad attempt at a mass-production compound curve it is now. And it needs to be sectioned. An "aero" sedanca-coupé is perhaps something to pursue, by not sectioning the deck area but rather raising the front edge to form a half-roof.

Perhaps I find the time for a sketch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.