Register now to get rid of these ads!

Been taking a break from the Willys to build this.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trashn'l, Oct 8, 2012.

1. trashn'l

trashn'l

A co-worker mentioned that he knew about a Dodge Polara that might be for sale. I was thinking big C-body until he said it was a 1964. I contacted the owner and made the 240 mile round trip last month to look at it. Story is that the owner had passed away suddenly 13 years ago and his brother had inherited the car. It had been sitting in a carport at their 94 year old Dads house, which where we found it under a rotted car cover with furniture, mattresses and junk piled on it. Looked it over and found that the brother that had passed away had put a 440 in it along with a '65 rearend and cop car wheels. It hadn't been started in over 7 years but the motor wasn't stuck. It's really solid with no rust and complete interior and all of the trim. I told them that I wanted it and made an offer. Only problem was that the brother wasn't ready to let it go just yet. I told him thanks and left my number. I got impatient and called last week just to let him know that when he was ready so was I. Turned out that his wife was ready for a new car so my youngest son and I made the trip last weekend. We pulled it out with a tractor and winched it on the trailer. After a bath it looks pretty good. I cleaned it up and got it running this weekend. I changed the wheels to some Cragar SST's that I had (I don't know if they are staying on the car). Not quite a barn find, but it's close enough for me. I'm thinking this may become the tow car for the Willys.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yesterday afternoon
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  2. AZbent

AZbent

That looks good. The floors appears to be solid. You did good.

3. RH2795

RH2795

Looks really solid. Congrats!!!!

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats. Looks good. I like those early '60s, pre-musclecar musclecars.

5. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Man, that's a great looking car but I would loose the wheels.... I would put the cop car wheels back on it....

6. x2....

7. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Sweet score! Love that body style!!

8. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

So ,what part of or. did it come from?there is a guy by my place that comes up with few old mopars each year.his property is locked up and posted,so i don;t go see them.they soon disappear again.

9. BassGroove

BassGroove
    from Ohio

I approve of this thread.

10. raidmagic

raidmagic

Great score!!! Very nice.

11. greazy john

greazy john

love the mopar... make a really cool tow car, put the steelies dog & dish caps back please...

12. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

Good find, but I'd change the Cragars for something period correct or a set of steelies.

13. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

14. Good looking car but I thing the dog dish hub caps would look better. HRP

15. storm king

storm king

Nice! Our first race car was a brand new '64 Max Wedge. Always had a soft spot for them...

16. slowmotion

slowmotion

Very cool find, got a soft spot for those old Mopars. Those SST's are a giant step in the wrong direction though, IMO. Run the steelies/dog dishes, and look for a set of Torque-Thrusts, chrome reverse, etc, in the mean time. Use the SST's for trading fodder.

17. belair

belair

Neat car, change the wheels. And how about a pic of the Willys.

18. barney rubble

barney rubble

I like it. I gotta agree with the cop car wheels.

19. trashn'l

trashn'l

The cop car wheels need a clean up and repaint. I would like to paint them to match. If I put them back on, I will do different hubcaps. I just can't do the cop car hubcaps. The other thought is to do the half and half thing but in reverse of what everyone else does- black 15 x 6 steelies and caps in the front and 15 x 8 slotted mags in the rear.

20. TexasDart

TexasDart

Those cop car hupcaps are pretty cool. They will actually bring some money...not much but some. They have the holes for ventilation....as do the Cop car wheels. I had a light blue dart that I had them on...I painted them a dark shade of Blue Metalic. With that car you could just about paint them any color you want...not red though...:) okay maybe a dark Metalic red.

21. 327Eric

327Eric

Nice. The 64 Polara is my favorite Mopar. I'm diggin the sst's too. Had a set on my '71 newport.

22. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

That will make one mean ass looking old street drag machine.

23. dudley32

dudley32

Nice...congratulations on a very cool find...

24. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

I've got a pile of those caps, as in about 50 of them. Never thought about painting them though. The ones that have value are the ones with no holes, marked PLYMOUTH around the front edge.

25. servi53

servi53

26. trashn'l

trashn'l

I have a '71 Road Runner that is late 70's street racer- slotted mags, N50's, purple hornies, built 383 with a 6 pak. This one is going to be a driver- imagine it towing my blown hemi '40 Willys pickup down I-5 to CHRR in a few years.

27. x 3

28. TexasDart

TexasDart

I meant paint the wheels not the hubcaps.

29. Those are neat cars. Pretty bad back in the Super Stock days. (I vote for the cop wheels)

30. sololobo

sololobo

El-Score-O!! ~sololobo~