Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Who is George Poteet?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by doubledawg, Nov 20, 2009.

1. George G

George G

No he invented camel toe.

2. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

George does very very well

3. tennsmith

tennsmith

The story I heard is that he came up with a water purification process to take water from the MS river and make drinking water for the city of Memphis and receives a monthly royalty, based on the quanitity of water purified by the city.

4. Egghead

Egghead

George was at the "Bunny Run", Jackson Tn.this year with his 55 chevy Tom Rambo (Montana striper) did some pin striping on his dash. Both are great guys.

5. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

I had not heard of him until I read about his 40 Ford pickup in Street Rodder I think it was. What a beautiful truck. Him and I have a few things in common, our trucks, good looks and plenty of... oh never mind :(

6. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Isn't multi-level marketing a polite name for pyramid scheme?

7. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

This is the truth- he's a major stockholder in NSA AG.

8. Angliaguy

Angliaguy

I do not know George. All that I know is what I have read and from a good friend who built a couple of cars for him when he was just starting his collection. There was an article that covered his very diversified collection of the finest Hot Rods from all different
    eras and built by the best in the business. As of late he has changed directions a little
    and found interest in Bonneville and again hooked up with the best in the business. He started with the Barracuda which I guess wasn't fast enough and then on to a Land Speed Car. He doesn't do it just to have bragging rights but straps in and does the job.
    Just a few weeks ago he set the Piston Engine wheel driven Land Speed Record at over 426 MPH. This guy is no kid who can afford to do whatever he wants to do and
    does it well. To me he is a real Hot Rodder who is living the dream of what most of us
    would want to do if we could.

9. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

He was into land speed racing long before the blowfish car (20 + years on the salt).

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  10. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

He is a man whose patronage has enabled many shops and builders to stay in business, start a business, and or enhance their reputations, by building high end cars for him.
    What he is to the car hobby is quite similar to the patronage that gave us the great art and artists of centuries past such as, Lodvico Sforza to Leanardo Da Vinci,the Catholic church to Michael Angelo,and other aristocratic families to arist of lesser stature. Someone who pays the bills so others can create and he seems to do so with great generosity and little or no micro-management.
    All accounts are that he is a person most of us would enjoy being buddies with, who worked hard at multiple jobs to get where he is, and is a total car nut.

11. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

That is one collection I would love to see. Someone needs to gain access and do a book just on his collection. More than enough material.

12. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

He had a get together at his house this past Saturday. There was an open invitation posted on the HAMB. I went!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

Dang it ! I missed that invitation. My dad and I were talking about it being close to that time just the other day.

14. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I did not see, it would be worth a plane ticket to see all his stuff.

15. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

16. PossumJR.

PossumJR.
    from Walls,MS

I have abunch more pics i will post soon as i get a chance. It was a awsome day. and yes he IS a great guy!

17. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

George is a regular guy who loves hotrods..A friend of mine worked for him for a while and went with him to buy a few cars. I wouldn't want to be up against him in a bidding war!

18. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Right on!
    At the end of the day, all that matters is he's a guy who loves his cars, just like the rest of us!!

19. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

I have read about the man, couldn't care how much money he earns, but I like unselfish people you spend lots of what they earn, remember we have to have wealthy people to make work for the not as wealthy, makes the world work ! George is a hot rodder period !

20. ...it'd be neat to post pics of his rides on this thread...

21. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

He invented the trans brake..........oops, that was that other famous guy.:D

22. chevyburb

chevyburb

The closest I came to meeting George was @ Bonneville 2010, opening day, parked next to him on the starting line using my '31 2Dr Deluxe Ford Phaeton to push the Poison Arrow #6060 Lakester owned by the late Glenn Denee and driven by his daughter Michelle. We set a World's Record of 182 MPH. There were so many people around the car (he sponsored a Boy Scout troop of special needs kids) and we were too busy with our stuff. I look forward to meeting him tomorrow @ The GNRS celebrating 100 years of Bonneville.

23. Just for the record, George won Goodguys Hot Rod of the Year for 2013 with a 1934, 60s style "Hugger Orange" Ford Coupe. Very nice car...

24. Built by Dave Lane who George has used for several of his cars. I'm always amazed at how he can keep track of all the cars he is having done at one time. Probably part of the reason he often tells the builder to "have at it" and then gets out of the way.

25. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I feel the financial side is his business only. But his taste in builds is impeccable , to me that's all that matters. He obviously earns enough to keep shops in business , so that's good for the economy. If he just went out and bought cars I would feel different but he puts his soul into the builds , so naturally he is a true hot rodder , not a cheque book rodder. Thanks George Poteet for allowing everyone to enjoy what you build.

26. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The kiwis found the bunny run by default last year it was a cool ! In both senses of the word little run. Didn't see Mr Poteet though.
    QUOTE=Egghead;8233482]George was at the "Bunny Run", Jackson Tn.this year with his 55 chevy Tom Rambo (Montana striper) did some pin striping on his dash. Both are great guys.[/QUOTE]

27. you mean like this?;)

Attached Files:

28. Here is Georges latest Dave Lane build. It is bad ass. Nailhead powered too. :)

[​IMG]

29. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

George is a great man, easy to talk to, loves anything with wheels.

30. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

One of my fondest memories is being in Chrysler's wind tunnel with George and Troy Trepanier. Troy was building the '69 Barracuda for B'ville, running a Mopar midget 4cyl with huge turbo. George was super nice and as has been said here... super laid back even though a man of his means could see and do alot but few have been able to tune the aero on their hot rod in the wind tunnel of an OEM....

Car was in bare metal at the time. Gorgeous.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!