Register now to get rid of these ads!

Termites and Bowties- Early Chevy Group

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29bowtie, Jan 7, 2009.

1. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

Thanks George! Me too, a glass of whiskey, a cigar and a nice warm fire!

I've been flamed before about burning my door wood but its mine and I always do as I please. I replaced the wood in one of my 36's with metal and the other one has nice wood that I plan to keep in the car. [​IMG]

2. I did replace all the wood in my 33 Cabriolet. I used the wood that was left in the body to make patterns for the steel replacement. Call me old fashion but I'll probably keep it in case I ever need it for patterns again.

Attached Files:

3. Jokester

Jokester

This looks like a good group to be in. I've got the '33 sedan in my avatar. I also have a 34 3W Standard coupe that is just barely roadworthy. I previously had a '32 2 door sedan that I wrecked and subsequently sold.

I'm currently deliberating on whether or not to fill the filler hole in the top of the radiator shell. Any comments?

my 2¢

.bjb

4. That's a flat back sedan, isn't it- you lucky dog :D!!!

5. john miller

john miller
    from KY

I'm hoping to be joining real soon.

6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

https://picasaweb.google.com/sixpics/26ChevyRoadster?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMGrn5aTjqyueQ&feat=directlink
    Here is a link to more pictures of my roadster body. You ca see that almost all of the wood is there. Plenty to use for pattern making. I may use some wood and some steel. I like the sound deadening affect of the wood.
    The plan includes a built Chevy 153 4 cylinder, Saganaw 4 speed with OD,Dana 44 limited slip with 4.11 or 4.27 gears, 19" wire wheels, '50 Chevy pickup front axle and Chevy style leaf springs. It can't be too low because it has 2 miles of rough road to the pavement. A lot of decisions still to be made. What do you think?

7. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

8. itsmeb

itsmeb

I got a 1930 Coach and am interested.

9. itsmeb

itsmeb

Try Proffitt's Customs in Crossville TN. they specialize in restoring the wood or replacing with steel. Mr Proffitt did my 1930 Coach.

10. wedgehead

wedgehead
    from texas

I have become a member of this group with my 34. I am now in the process of getting a plan on what to use and how to go about replacing the wood in my car.

11. Cool, that was my guess, but hell i ain't no expert....but looks like a fun project

12. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

check out my profile as my chevy is almost identical. would be a super rare rod!

13. 1928chevycoupe

1928chevycoupe

I like a hood ornament there

14. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I just bought this one, and I am going to go get it this next weekend.
    Has anyone redrilled the 51-59 truck brakes to the ford 5 on 51/2?[​IMG]

15. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Hello, I have the same car - had mine since '95! Let me know if you have any detailed questions. Still have the original chassis underneith as well. Good luck with your project!

16. SSDually

SSDually

Thanks 66miles99, I've been searching for one of these for over 25 years and have had it now for a year this month. I still go back and look at the photos from the day I picked it up and say to myself "This is a heluva find!" Now my wife on the other hand is still on the fence about it, but I'm doing my best to convince her "This is a helufa find" too.

I owe some photo updates. I promise I have been working on it

17. This is going to make some people say what the hell but, I purchased a 32 Chevy 2 door sedan in February after I got home from my last deployment. It had been parked and stored in a garage since 1940, 21,000 miles on it. As a family project, we decided to restore to its original glory. Kids and I started breaking it down. Then my dad, who's 87, came by to visit. I didn't tell him about the car till I opened the garage. To my surprise he said, thats the same model I dragged on Long Island back in the 50's. WHAT! He never talked about dragging and never worked on cars around us growing up. So now the project is focused on building the car like the one he had.

Here's where the "what the hell's" will start. The car, which burned in a house fire in 1955, had a flathead from a totaled ford truck, Fenton 2X2 intake, 37 LaSalle transmission, ford rear-end and was painted in red primer and fenderless. Thats all he remembered about the car. So now were headed in that direction.

I'll post pictures as soon as I can get them to upload!

18. 8flat

8flat

That's cool, I like the flathead idea, I'm usually in the camp that a ford should stay all ford, a chevy all chevy, etc, but since Chevy didn't have much for engines back then I think using a flathead would make a great little hotrod.

19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

By the '50s Chevy and GMC had engines that were all a Flathead could handle,but this is a cool project anyway because you still have the "Rodfather"to guide you.

20. I appreciate all the kind words! Sometimes when I tell people what I am doing they beginning to explain to me how that would never have happened. It reminds of my days in Civil War and WWII re-enacting when some would tell me the cloth on my uniform was the wrong weave.

I find the most enjoyment involving my family and friends. I think you would be hard pressed to find a guy who just sits in his shop by himself doing a project. For me it's about those connections, learning from the guys who started all this and teaching my kids about it.

Thanks again and as soon as I can get my photos to post I get them up here!

21. Ghost28

Ghost28

Beings I build mostly old late 20s to early 30s chevys with small blocks it will be kind of refreshing to see this one come into play with a different drive train. kudos to you and your dad with the vision. Is your car a sedan or a 5 passenger coupe? I can't tell by your avatar picture. when you start the build put it on the main board for all to follow.
    john

22. rebuilding dad's car is where it's at! looking forward to this project even thought i can't see putting a ford motor in a chevy....haha

23. Normbc9

Normbc9

None of them were exempt from the wood eating critters. The only protections were an occasional fumigation OR a hard freeze. Here are two that required a complete wood change out and it wasn't cheap.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  24. Normbc9 That's a couple of nice 32's!

25. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Does anyone know if there are diagrams for the wood parts for a '26 roadster? I'm getting ready to try and assemble the body to get measurements and begin replacing what I have to. Diagrams would help sort out some lose stuff. Unfortunately I wasn't the one who took it apart. I have a '29 chassis now so I can begin the build. Thanks
    [​IMG]

26. john miller

john miller
    from KY

Count me in with a 27. :D

[​IMG]

27. That's a Pontiac. I can tell by the dash, steering wheel, the bodyline on the cowl... I have a '32 Oldsmobile and the dash is different, also the hood sides on an Olds were longer with 5 vents, Chev and Pontiac had 4 vents.

These are pics of pontiac-
    '32 Pontiac dash- http://forums.aaca.org/attachments/...2-pontiac-sport-coupe-fresh-find-pb060037.jpg

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy likes this.
  28. Hi all my name is Bruce and i am looking for some imformation. I have a 1931 chevy that I am building and replacing the wood frames. but also working on the frame. WHAT ARE MOST PEOPLE PUTTING IN FOR A RAR END, SOME TELL ME A FORD 9INCHAND OTHERS CAMARO REAR END . ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD B APPREACEATED. THANKS BRUCE
    :confused::confused::confused:

29. Hi Bruce. I guess that would depend on what engine you are using and the era of build you are going for. I put a '39 Ford banjo rear in my '34 truck...

30. I used a 10 bolt Chevy out of a Chevy S10 with a Posie's rear leaf spring kit. Plenty around for a reasonable price.