Register now to get rid of these ads!

TIG torch repair/replacement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JPMACHADO, Oct 6, 2012.

1. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

I have a Miller Syncrowave 180. The threads in the torch head, the ones that hold in the butt end that in-turn holds in the collet are stripped out. Do I need to buy an completely new torch? What do I need to just fix this problem

I apologize if I have butchered the terminology for the torch parts. Hopefully people can understand what I mean.

Thanks
    Johhn

2. Take it to the local welding supply. You will probably have to replace the body. Sounds like somebody is over tightining the collet.

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

They make a thread chasing tap that the welding supply store should have.

If the thread restoration does not work you will have to replace the torch head ,or the complete torch if the head does not separate from it.

The threads in the head of the torch usually get stripped from over tightening of the back cap in an attempt to make the tungsten grab and not slip.

This is usually when the torch is hot which will strip the threads out even faster.

The problem with the loose sliding tungsten can usually be traced to a couple things:

1) The main collet body that the cup screws over being loose in the torch head.
    2) The inner collet being distorted from over tightening.

Make sure the collet body is snug in the torch, and that the inner collet is in nice shape.

After that then holding the tungsten snugly should only require a light snugging down of the back cap.

The key there is LIGHT snugging with 2 fingers. Any more than that is too much.

Stripped torch heads are usually the result of the problems above, and operator error.

http://www.arc-zone.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4893

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  4. tig master

tig master
    from up north

You are inline for a torch body.Not very expensive on its own.What is it a 17 or 20 series.There is a difference between stripped threads and threads that will clean up.

T

5. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

Where can I order a new torch? Any on-line recommendations?

Thanks for the help,

John

Ps: I'll watch over tightening it.

6. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

There are MANY places online....depending on what you want to spend.... Master Weld is very economical and very good quality....in fact my welding class just bought a brand new CK #20 torch for twice what i paid for my MW torch...I was not impressed... anyway it really depends what YOU need/want for a torch or complete new setup....I have a couple 17's ... I 'll sell you cheap...

7. weldtoride

weldtoride

These guys have genuine weldcraft at prices cheaper than a lot of guys carry knock-offs. It's an on-line outlet of an old brick and mortar, get your part number from weldcraft and call them or go on-line. If your hoses are still good, just get a torch body:

http://weldingsupply.com/

I agree with the above posts, you can clean up the threads sometimes. I taught HS shop and unfortunately know a little too much about buggered threads..... It's not a tap found in the normal tap assortment, but it is readily available.

As stated above there is a difference between stripped threads and damaged threads.

8. kustomclassics

kustomclassics

I've got a nice unused one laying around just have to find it, the only thing is it's not water cooled. Let me know if your interested and I'll look for it.

9. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

What does "17" mean? I looked on-line at the welder supply web-site and I see 17 and 18. The parts are interchangable?

Thank you for all the help,
    John

10. tig master

tig master
    from up north

17 is an air cooled series so is 18 a series but water cooled.

T

11. repairmanrod

repairmanrod
    from colorado

12. SpecialtyCars

SpecialtyCars

If you're not exactly sure what torch you need, go to a local shop.

It may cost you a few bucks more, but getting the right torch the first time will save you a lot of time and potential heartburn.

13. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

I ended up getting a 17 Torchcraft torch body. Everything fits great with the exception of my back cap bottoming out before securing the collet. Any ideas on fixing this, preferably without buying a new back cap. I don't weld much so I could stand to rig something up as long as it's not too complex (I was thinking like washers between the end cap an collet). Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks
    John

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Replace the back cap, make sure you have the correct length of collet body and inner collet body for the new torch as well.

Then make sure everything is put together properly and you will have no problems.

Parts that are meant to work with the torch you have are the way to go.
    Don't try to mickey mouse anything with washers and the like.