Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rodding season ends early in Northern Minnesota

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by henryj429, Oct 4, 2012.

1. henryj429

henryj429

I guess the Zephyr will get parked early this year! I started the day by getting big time sideways on the highway going to work. By mid afternoon we had 6+ inches of snow on the ground and the wind was blowing out of the North at 50mph. Trees wre down everywhere and our power was out for 8 hours. Its been a great summer....bummer to see it come to an end.

Here's a few back yard shots to give you a flavor.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Man that's just wrong!
    KK

3. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

Holy crap! Keep that stuff up there! One thing you are right about, it was one of the best summers I can remember. Can't wait for 2013

4. These photos make me extremely happy I live in the South,,and although we occasionally get a little of that cold white stuff on the ground we are able to drive our hot rods year round. HRP

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Man, sucks to be you.:D I grew up in upstate New York and loved the snow, but I'd NEVER go through it as an adult.

It was 89 today, but this weekend a cold front is coming through. So, it'll drop down to the high 60's. For one day. Then... 70's and 80's.

6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Please don't send that stuff over here. But you will.

7. pincher

pincher
    from Saginaw

Just had the A out tonight for a run,keep that stuff up there.We arent that far from you...........PINCHER

8. Cerberus

Cerberus

NAH! That's just plain too early. Guess there's a reason my state (not of mind) charges so much property tax...it's because they can get away with it! The high here 88, today. Not to be confused with the medicinal high.

9. hey i got one more show in nd WAS WORRIED ABOUT SALT FOR SUNDAY BUT IT WAS ALL GONE FURTHER SOUTH, TOOK SOME SEATS TO JAKE IN WAHPETON, NO SNOW THERE ops caplock foul up:eek:

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Yes keep it up your way,I dont want to think about the white death until around christmas. We had snow in october before and will probably have it early this year after the hot summer.

11. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Cruuuddd.. Time to break out the space heater.

12. 75ford

75ford
    from burlington

once the rods are away, the snowmobiles can come out :)

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

On one hand that photo makes me cringe thinking of weeks full of 27 inches of snow a day to come.

On the other hand even running to the store feels like an adventure in a massive snow storm, and you'd be lying if you said you weren't spinning cookies in your hotrod on the snow at least once! Haha

14. The only time I see snow any more is when I go to the Autorama every year. Here in Atlanta, we may get snow twice in the winter and then we shut everything down and get under the covers. Any freeze and I can't even get out of my driveway. I love the mountains.

15. We had a few flakes here yesterday, but no real accumulation.
    But I know it's a coming!!!

16. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I was at LOW this morning with 1 day to go on a week fishing trip.
    Saw the forecast and loaded the boat in pouring rain.
    From Blackduck to Bemidji it was damn near a whiteout.

17. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Just leaves more time for next years project....unless you have'nt pulled it out of the woods yet.:eek:

18. henryj429

henryj429

Been there done that on fishing in the snow. If you can stay warm, the walleye fishing can be nuts!

It was still snowing when I left for work this morning. We have almost a foot on the ground now!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  19. I dont evy your snow fall, but I love driving in it and sliding sideways.

T-shirt weather and mowing today. Might even take the TUB for a afternoon evening cruise. Hurry back spring for you up north rodders, and about 4 more weeks I will be hoping the same around here.

20. Hotrodhog

Hotrodhog

Minnetonka Drive-in also closed last night for the year!! :(

It was a banner year for rodding...although we could use the rain!

Lets hope it's a short winter and a great year next year too!! :D

21. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I really love pictures of old fords in the snow............our car season in Arizona is just now starting as high temps are dropping and will be in the 80's next week.

22. jetcycles

jetcycles

I couldn't imagine dealing with snow...probably the same sentiments you guys have about the Texas heat.

23. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

That's right, Snow is easy. That endless string of 100+ temps you guys get is absolutely unthinkable.

Although, 6+ inches on Oct. 4th is a bit unusual for this part of the world, the moisture was badly needed.

Hopefully this winter I can hibernate in the shop and get alot done on the Merc. There are some advantages to these long cold winters. :D

24. Kustom292

Kustom292
    from Winnipeg

Hey can't say you didn't think it was coming at some point.

25. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

I was cleaning my car a few minutes ago for a show tomorrow, then I heard on the radio the high is only supposed to be 52.

I'll probably still go but, I HATE the end of car show season!!!!!!

26. Ralph

Ralph

Not too bad here yet. Still sucks, though. I've got a cold. Larry, drag something in to your shop and get at it! I'm sure your wife would like to see her truck get started. Sunday we'll drive all my stuff out to storage for the winter. Maybe this winter I'll continue the ongoing battle with my rustbucket 57 Chevy 2door wagon.
    Ralph

Attached Files:

27. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Bugger, that reminds me. Tomorrow I've got to pick some tomatoes from my garden, mow the lawn, and remember the sunscreen! Oh well, we'll be getting our monsoons soon enough. But hey, almost endless supply of clean drinking water and enough to wash my cars whenever I feel like it!

28. henryj429

henryj429

This morning there was still a hard dense layer about 6" deep, so we put the Ranchero away for the winter, had a little fun with the boy and dragged the 35 into the shed to extract the frame for the 37 (ya happy now Ralph?)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. fleetside66

fleetside66

Why did you do that?

30. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

Snow and ice is what makes us Minnesota boys such good drivers on the salt!
    If you are willing to brave the weather, come to the Land Speed Get together in Griggs park (1188 Hubbard) in St. Paul on Sat. 10-4. We'll have a cackle-fest of maybe 8 LSR vehicles to scare off the cold weather. Call Greg 320-282-4577