Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where is the Most Hot Rod friendly town ?? I need to move

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rjbeattiejrf150, Oct 5, 2012.

1. I am lookin for a place to live where hot rods are not so hated, like they are where I live. Somewhere the Kulture lives and thrives, I was thinkin maybe Austin, TX. But I would like some input. Thanks in advance.

2. Austin, New Braunfels, San Antonio all leave us alone if we don't drive recklessly and the cops dig hot rods! Lots of kar kulture in Austin and San Antonio.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  3. Austin will be everyone's first choice. Then there's Austin East (Greater Charlotte, NC area). Lots of clubs, several "HAMB friendly", tons of cool cars, and several nice events within a days drive.

That's where I'm going if I ever move....but I am an North Carolina boy, through and through!

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Your problem is, you live it too small of a town. Cops in small towns usually are bored to death with nothing to keep them busy, so they create work by stopping anyone and everyone they can, for any little excuse. In the bigger cities the police have serious stuff like murders and robberies to contend with and most don't have time, or could care less, to stop the occasional hot rod.

We have one very exclusive little town down here that is notorious for having problems with the cops. They can afford a lot of police, but have no crime to speak of, and if you are driving through there at night you are going to be tailgated by one of them or stopped. They don't want people from the mainland visiting them.

Don

5. You would probably get by just fine in the pineville/alexandria area or in monroe. Any thime I have been to either there were hot rods and no one was harrasing them.

6. Come to East TN!

More car guys per capita than I've ever seen,
    Multiple things to do every weekend, multiple cruise-ins which shows that the towns like cars, big and little shops, close to the Charlotte Auto Fair and Shades of the Past and other car and truck events in Gatlinburg. Low taxes and great weather, what's not to like!

7. Alex D.

Alex D.
    from Hydes, MD.

Baltimore Maryland, Home of the first Rodder's Journal show. Where hot rods and customs are welcome.

8. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

(Your problem is, you live it too small of a town. Cops in small towns usually are bored to death with nothing to keep them busy, so they create work by stopping anyone and everyone they can, for any little excuse. In the bigger cities the police have serious stuff like murders and robberies to contend with and most don't have time, or could care less, to stop the occasional hot rod.)

I agree with Don. I live in Northern Michigan, they don't bother us here. There have been cases in the distant past where they stopped you if your driving on a Historical Plate. I have never been stopped.

9. Well see around here the cops only welcome Rolex rods ya know like the tourists drive, cause they spend plenty money

10. Also Northern MI- stopped once by a rookie- did not understand Year of Mfg plate- now carry a letter stating legal- never been stopped since-

Not all small towns are Rod unfriendly- we have a very active Rod culture here in Northern Lower MI-

Good place to live but the Rodding season is pretty short-

11. LowMOJO

LowMOJO

San Antonio and Austin Texas. Two of our national cities that both represent ol school and new. And by national I do mean the great nation of Texas!:cool:

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

12. Larry T

Larry T

Just out of curiosity, is your town small enough that you know all the LEO by name?
    You might need to move somewhere larger.

13. Yep that's pretty much how this place is

14. dad-bud

dad-bud

Perth WA aint so bad - provided you play by the rules - i.e. not be a complete dickhead all the time (the occasonal display of dickheadedness may be tolerable, but not at school crossings, outside police stations or in crowded streets packed with revellers.
    Hmmmm, but those are all the best places.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Once "branded" by cops, no escape. You'll get a ticket for a bad hair day, shoes untied, whatever. You didn't knock up the local sheriff's daughter, did ya? :cool:

16. Rocket man 88

Rocket man 88

I have to agree with bubba and hotrodharry, I live right in the middle of Michigan and have little to no trouble....actually I let my wife take the cheerleader squad to a football game in the drag mini van and she was pulled over only out of pure curiosity by the cop....he now stops by the shop to "see whats going down" every once in awhile...real good guy to have a beer with too ;) I live in a small town that is starting to accept the culture...you just have to be patient...as long as you aren't peeling out every where or using your flame throwers next to the propane fill station, the public up here loves it! tons of tours and shows to boot!

17. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

It isnt the cop in general. I am a LEO in a small town and there are quit a few hot rodders here. During Daytona bike week and Turkey rod run we have alot of old cars and bikes passing through. But I guess if a cop isnt a car guy then a hotrod stands out. Funny thing is as much as I talk about old cars and trucks most cops I work with will call me and say hey man you should see this car you will probably like it. I have actually educated a few of the guys. My partner was never a car guy but a few months ago he asked me to go look at ab O/T corvette with a stought SBC . He bought it cheap and it haul some ass. A step in the right direction. Just remember it dont matter if its a new camaro, honda civic or a 32 ford if you act like a asshole and drive the same way your going to get attention you ptobably dont want. Not saying that there arent cops that arent complete dicks I know some of them too.

18. Tommy R

Tommy R

Austin. Came here from NOLA and love it. And I'm still close enough to take weekend trips back home.

19. RAY With

RAY With

Austin is very good and the small towns around Houston are Hot rod friendly. We have 4-600 cars every Saturday night (weather permitting) The niftee50ees show and a great place to meet. Some of our group travel to Austin for there many car events so its just a personal choice where you want to relocate

20. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

If you want the best of everything, weather, town size and a bunch of friendly hotrodders I was impressed by Prescott Arizona.

21. 2935ford

2935ford

If you like over the top and everything in between......So Cal is the place.

22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

1958, we used to drive the channeled Model A Coupe down to L.A. (from San Jose) every couple of weeks. (just to be in the hot rod action)

We'd drop in on Joe Reath's shop, Quincy Automotive, Bell Auto parts...and just cruise around. Ran into lots of street roadsters/coupes, met lots of cool guys & gals.
    Around '63, rods had all but disappeared...lots of Super Stockers and street-driven 'gasser-types' then...

There's quite a few rods around these parts now, (Merced area) we used to make the Merced 'Hot Rod Reunion' on Mothers Day and decided to leave San Jose for Merced.
    That was 1989, been here ever since.
    The police here wave and nod, only been pulled over once: I had gotten off the 99 freeway, and ran into a 6 foot tumbleweed, got tangled up in my F100 front bumper...
    CHP officer stopped behind me to cover with his flashing lamps 'til I untangled the pesky brush!
    We had a good laugh, too.

23. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Houston and the surrounding area are full of hotrods and later cars. Near enough to Austin to buzz up for a weekend but strong economy so jobs are available for the right people.

24. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Yup. And there's clear blue skys everyday all year long. And I get thumbs-up eveyday all day in my A.:cool:

25. firingorder1

firingorder1

No!! Don't come to California. There's no room left. We haven't even got a decent drag strip left to race your hot rod on.

26. storm king

storm king

Tell you what, Bowling Green, Ky is a hot rod town, so is Sommerset, Ky.

27. Fenders

Fenders

Great idea! Look for a city with a high murder and robbery rate, lots of crime, and move there !

28. 38 Hump

38 Hump

Lake Havasu City, AZ. Great weather, no DMV bullshit. Plus the lake to hot rod on in the summer when it's too hot for the street hot rod. Small town and great bunch of guys and gals.

29. FANTASY FACTORY

FANTASY FACTORY

30. Austin or the surrounding Hill Country small towns are good locations to live. All the small towns are Hot Rod friendly. It has a endless supply friendliness and lots of cool cars and great local shops. Oh yes the Lone Star Roundup, Revolution show, and Day of The Drags are all here. Came here 12 yrs ago and plan to stay here the remainder.