Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are Corvairs cool?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GREASER815, Oct 4, 2012.

1. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I like the truck and van version.

2. chico'72

chico'72
    from Belgium

2 pics i took at the loud mufflers event somewhere around paris a couple years agoo.
    small mods but a great car to me!!
    I think one off the L/M members own a corvair done in 60ties style metalflake and panels, white tuck and roll interior.
    i will see if i can find some pics...
    Chico

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  3. chico'72

chico'72
    from Belgium

Not the one i search for but cool nevertheless!!

Attached Files:

4. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

What a bunch of misinformed bullshit.

Ralph Nader was a jock.

Heres one i always post on thes Corvair threads. They were popular kustoms in the late 60s to the early 80s. Saying they arent traditional is bullshit. Old magazines are proof, but some people only think 49/51 Mercurys, shoeboxs Fords etc.. are traditional. Plus, they have beautiful lines, and the 4door was like a mini flat top, so kool too.

[​IMG]

5. that dude that bought it was in my neighborhood and your right, the engine does sound wicked.

6. 59 brook

59 brook

met mike on the power tour he has a few ls series sbc v8 corvairs .the little blue 62 corvair wagon was on a regal chassis if i remember right and looked like my little baby brother

Attached Files:

7. Air cool ed

8. Ice man

Ice man

Look for rust (lots of RUST) around the windshield posts and cowl. They were bad for that and no replacements parts are available. Iceman

9. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

The "Lakewood" wagons were really cool but good luck finding one that can be saved. The engines have a ton of power availible with the right combo, and if you play with the suspension they can out handle a lot of cars on the road today. Throw a V-8 in the back (think boat motor) and have a blast!

10. larry k

larry k

kinda ,,sorta cool, :cool: ??? :cool:... but remember these cars are "unsafe at any speed " as per ralph :eek:

11. Uh flames come to mind. Pretty easy to do you just stick a rag in the filler and . . .

I have always liked them, I don't know about how accepted they were as hot rod fodder but I always liked them.

Yea but ralf had genital breath.

We rolled one when I was inn high school, a 2 door post, there were five of us in it. Hit a residential street corner at about 40. Jumped the curb and ended up turtled in this fellas front yard. Popped the front and back glass out. The man helped us put it back on its wheels, we gathered up the glass and headed out to one of the guys farm. His dad helped up push the roof back out and put the glass back in. ready for another night of drinking and debauchery.

12. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

The car and the guy that had his Corvair T at Nationals lives in Wichita, Ks. His name is Terry and he has several very cool Corvairs. He has a V8 model or two, he has one that is basically an open wheel Indy car, he has vans, ramp-sides and a no-side (trucks) and he has a factory built replica of a Cord with a Corvair engine. He also has a Corvair engine with dual triple throat Webers!

I used to drive a '65 Corvair Corsa with 4 carbs, 4 speed and A/C painted '69 Camaro Hugger Orange with white stripes.

Yes, Corvair can be cool!

13. dechrome

dechrome

Here is a 65 recently completed for my grandson with a 4.1 liter Buick v6 and Riveria transaxle. It's just beyond HAMB interest but makes a good starting project to develop interest that is affordable for young boys.

deChrome

Attached Files:

14. dechrome

dechrome

This is a Corvair seen at the ECTA meet in Wilmington, Ohio. It is on a Corvette chassis and has a turbo intercooled mid engine. Speed in standing mile 170+.

Attached Files:

15. Alex D.

Alex D.
    from Hydes, MD.

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Not that one. 2 speed automatics are real turds. I would not take a powerglide Corvair for anything but parts. I drove a Greenbriar with a 4 spd and it was kinda fun. Sitting right above the front wheels, it seemed like you were on a see saw. You'd rise way up and then fall back again when you shift. I built a 66 coupe for my girlfriend and it was actually fun to drive. You had to drive the car so that you could keep it in the narrow power band. 65s and up use Muncie gears in the trans. I'd bet that most of the naysayers never owned one. There was a big hotrod parts industry for them when they were new.

Not for the drag racing types but with some playing around they can be a fun car to drive and still get reasonable MPGs. JMHO

17. I actually had two myself a '65 Ragtop and a '65 hard top. my neighbor up the street has a '62 wagon 15K on the clock 4 speed car. He is pretty old and his wife protects him a lot or I would try and talk him out of it for the missus to toodle around in.

18. Alex D.

Alex D.
    from Hydes, MD.

19. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

20. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

21. Beau

Beau

Scrap Corvair, cheap S-10 with a V-8 swap and a few weeks of work. The body pretty much fit right on top of the frame. It was very strange.

[​IMG]

Video-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. 29tudor

29tudor

Yup

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

23. Agree. My girlfriend had a yellow one in college. It was a blast to drive.

24. They have nice tops.

Attached Files:

25. Now that's rad! Ahhhhhh, the good ol' days..........E

26. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

27. davidh73750

davidh73750

the 2 doors have great bucket seats! we scrapped out a junker one and found out the seats are very close to chevelle even a little bigger. I kept them for a future gasser project.

28. 2935ford

2935ford

What did he know! :):):D:D

29. If you get the gas heater, they are not cool at all...................

30. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I like it...just plain simple and sanitary.....if you can buy it right, it would make a cool driver..and it is as HAMB friendly as any other '65 or older....
    I mean, what about the Ramblers on here ?????
    Good luck on it..
    Cheers.....