Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bought a 1949 Hudson tonight.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raidmagic, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

That is a really good looking car. Hope you enjoy working on it and driving it, she is a beauty.

2. roughneck424

roughneck424

Very Nice and my old High School Colors!!

3. raidmagic

raidmagic

Got a link to a thread about yours? I'd love to read about it.

4. That's better than a '60 biscayne anyday. I found some lapbelts at a swapmeet. Used some 3/16 steel plate on the underside of the body. Put a bolt thru it and mounted the belts to them. Works great.

I almost be the floats are stuck on the carbs. Mine sat for nearly 30 years when I bought it. I pulled the carb apart, cleaned everything and put it back together with no new parts. It's been working perfect since 2005.

Attached Files:

5. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Beauty! I've never owned a Hudson, but I hear those Twin-H motors are the tits. lower the rear, throw on some WWWs and your set.

6. raidmagic

raidmagic

Once it runs for a minute it idles nice, it is a little rich and there is dripping from the carbs. I hope to get a video of that tomorrow and post it for ideas. Here is a short video of it running for some reason it cuts out 1/2 way through the video but you get the idea. Sounds pretty mean to me.

http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/raidmagic/media/photobucket-84020-1349361440628.mp4.html

7. That's a helluva nice ride! Mike it safe and driveable (tune up, brakes, shocks, tires etc.) and enjoy.

Jim

8. bigboy308

bigboy308
    from Merlin, OR

Great Car!! I have the exact same model, '49 SuperSix and have changed to a 308 Twin-H also. Three speed straight stick trans.

You might want to check out the rear end ratio--Stock ratios were around 4.1/1, best move I made (other than 308) was to find a stock R/E from a later ('51-53) automatic-transmission Hudson. Simple bolt-in replacement, including brakes ratio is nearer 3.2/1. Slowed that big ol' torquin' 308 down about 25% and made highway cruising a whole lot easier

Also, two suggestions: Classiccar.com has a Hudson forum that is the unofficial Hudson forum. (Has both Stock and Modified sections.) Might take a while to find the Classiccar forums but highly recommended perusing.

Save that visor!! Visors normally sell for somewhere near $400 to the Hudson Owners that want them! Try HET.org for marketplace.

Welcome to the Hudson crowd---

Remember, when anyone asks, and you will be asked, what year MERCURY that is, just tell 'em it's a 1948!! (1948 Huds were exactly same as your '49, body-wise, so Hudson was there first !!)

9. deto

deto

I must be getting old. The off brand stuff looks better and better to me...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. raidmagic

raidmagic

Thanks for the info. I'm normally not a visor guy but I thinl I like this one.

11. I had one of those for a while, too, they're nice cars.

Certain 53-54 Hudsons have a Dana rearend, a 44 I think, so even if you get one with the same ratio, it's not unobtanium to change the gears themselves.

12. B Blue

B Blue

As a guy that was around when the stepdowns were new (young, but I have a good memory) I have to say it is about time they receive the recognition they deserve.

Great looking car. Give it a proper interior in the Hudson spirit and it will be stunning.

Bill

13. fleetside66

fleetside66

I'll second that (and I've always been a Hudson man). Some years after these recently found shots were taken, I flunked my driver's test in a '49 Commodore Six by backing into the guardrail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

i think you def traded up on getting the hudson! i saw your car on the hudson forum as well. Walt Mordenti still rebuilds those twin h carbs i believe. he is in the wtn and on the hudson forum. i'm with everybody else that hudson looks great! congrats on the buy!!!
    by the way fleetside66, i love those pictures!

15. raidmagic

raidmagic

Great pictures. Great story.

16. adams27

adams27

Great car! Great history Diamond Jeff!

17. raidmagic

raidmagic

Thanks, I was directed to that forum from here and figured it would be smart to join up and do some learning.

18. Thats a sweet ride! Drive it like its yours. I would keep the visor as it gives an attitude!!

19. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

20. servi53

servi53

diggin it and the visor too, very cool ride

21. Rocket88NZ

Rocket88NZ

I'm with you I like the look of the visor on the Hudson's, people give me shit about mine but I figure its only 6 bolts bolts if you don't like it. Nice car, hope you are enjoying it.

Attached Files:

• docc.jpg
      docc.jpg
      File size:
      493.6 KB
      Views:
  22. kennkat

kennkat

Pretty Damn Sweet!!

23. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

Rocket88NZ, i just picked myself up a 53 Super Wasp Coupe... not nearly as nice as yours but still a complete car.

My sons name is Hudson and i picked it up as a future Father/son project..

24. Nice - there are quite a few of us Hudson guys here on the HAMB...Looks like your car is much nicer than what I started with! Good score!

25. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

26. I'm sure you picked it up by now, get us some better pictures!!!

27. skoh73

skoh73

Awesome score! I like the color combo and the visor. IMO the visor helps complete the illusion of a chop, and on a Hudson which has the low roof to begin with, I think it looks primo.

28. raidmagic

raidmagic

I see you don't have the rear fender well pieces on your car. Why? Personal choice? I've played with mine off and on and can't make up my mind which I like best.

29. raidmagic

raidmagic

Check page 2 post #36, there is a short video of it running I'll take some more pics this weekend.

30. Normbc9

Normbc9

Does it have the Twin H 308 six? If so you have a real tough engine and they ruled the NASCAR (dirt era) tracks long after some pretty high performance V-8's made their appearance. There is one here in a '39 Hudson pickup that makes a good accounting of how fast they can be.
    Normbc9