Register now to get rid of these ads!

What direction should I take? Need ideas!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Forced 382, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Forced 382

Forced 382
    BANNED

Hey guys, what direction should I take with my 1955 Cadillac ? Should I keep it stock or do it as a mild 50's-60's custom or go full "Kustom"? Lmk what everyone thinks.

Attached Files:

• 023.JPG
      023.JPG
      File size:
      387.9 KB
      Views:
    • 024.JPG
      024.JPG
      File size:
      326.9 KB
      Views:
  2. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I'd just cruise it 'til the cows come home!! :)

Very nice Cadillac!!

3. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

"First do no harm" I say give it a mild era correct custom, but nothing that can't easily be undone. That's a Fine looking car as it sits.

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

For this forum it will have to a custom since Cadillacs arent traditional hotrods

5. CurbFeeler

CurbFeeler

Enjoy it for what it is.
    When it starts to break, then think of modifications.
    Solid cars like that are getting harder to find, you been blessed with the ability to enjoy it right away--- don't get too excited to open up a can of work-worms.

Mummmm...maybe some Texas longhorns on the grill, and some cowhide upholstery for a traditional Vegas or Tejas Kustom of the period......

6. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

2x...

7. 4oldfords

4oldfords
    from Texas

saw the top off - jack it up - put a 4x4 suspension under it - get rid of those weird bullets on the grill!!!

8. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Longhorns on the hood! BAM! Skull shift knob and a 305 chevy!

9. Forced 382

Forced 382
    BANNED

I am a bit aprehensive as this car is Rock solid fromtop to bottom. I was thinking of Hot Rod Flatz with a flaked roof but it is a tough decision.

10. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Mild custom. Cadillac got it right from the factory. Most radical changes to these Cadillacs are downgrades.

11. cakes

cakes

Just drive it, you don't have to fuck with every car out there. Cadillac got these right out of the factory

12. RFOSTER

RFOSTER

The paint looks great why paint it!!! Mild period correct modifications will make this car greater then it already is!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

13. Forced 382

Forced 382
    BANNED

The color is unusual to say the least which is why I was considering a color change.

14. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

3X and I like the color.
    Tom

15. Kyron

Kyron
    from Peoria Az

fuzzy dice.

16. CurbFeeler

CurbFeeler

That color is perfect, for that car.
    Corals were the traditional flavor of the era, and that car was in the top of the line for showing off fancy, but odd, colors. That's their nature.

When folks tried to "custom" them in that 50's era, they often trended toward an Italiano style , and that got real expensive and very custom-ed , but memorable ---> Here's a 54 Caddy Pininfarina
    [​IMG]

17. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

from your own last statement ,I would leave it the color it IS !

Like others have said
    YOU DON'T HAVE TO F*%K WITH IT.

Please know that you have a fine looking car now,
    if you are tired of it put it in a barn for a year or more,then later you will like the car again......

Sheet its your car ,do what you will...
    its just my opinion ,everybody has one and most of them stink....

18. RFOSTER

RFOSTER

I think the color is spot on!!! I would drive the hell out of it!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

19. atomickustom

atomickustom

You asked, so here it is: don't to ANYTHING to it but drive it. It is a cool car as it is. If you must change things, mess with different wheels or hubcaps.

If you sand it down and paint if flat black you'll ruin that nice paint job and kill the value of the car.
    If you start customizing it the odds are that you won't get it totally finished for a long, long time.

Just enjoy it! If you want to customize one you start with one that already needs paint, an interior, etc. Otherwise you're just ruining a nice old survivor AND wasting money. I drag my future kustoms out of farmers' fields; you don't pay for something (like nice paint) if you're going to ruin it anyway.

20. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Please, Please, Please.....Don't fuck with that car. It appears to be nearly pristine.
    There are lots of shitters out there in driver condition that are good candidates for customizing but cars in that condition are getting extremely hard to find....

consider selling...maybe for a profit...and finding a better candidate for a flat black beater.

21. Wash it....wax it....and drive it!!!!!

Not that it's not clean and shiney now....talking about the future

22. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I like my '50s cars like they looked in the magazine ads - stock but lowered 2-3". These days disc brakes and an overdrive are smart upgrades too if you want to drive them.

23. rick finch

rick finch

Not no, but HELL NO!!!

24. "The color is unusual to say the least which is why I was considering a color change"
    I say the color is unusual to say the least which is why I consider leaving it as-is except for a good buffing. I'd roll the original wheels and tires into the shop and go with a set of 8 inch chrome wires and whitewall radials. Might drop the suspension 2 inches but not enough to hurt the ride qualilty. A nice pair of rumbly steel pac mufflers would be cool and then just detail the daylights out of that caddy.

25. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  26. flathead okie

flathead okie

Don't screw it up with Flat Black paint.......don't fuck with the paint. Maybe safety upgrades, but nothing else needs to be done.

27. boldventure

boldventure

Put some nice sounding mufflers on, upgrade to breaker-less ignition and get the carb tuned for new fuel and just polish and drive.

Is that factory color? Pacific Coral maybe?

28. What do you think is the real question? You must have quite a budget to consider a "Full custom". Cause under all that shinny its probably not.

29. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

gasser is the new in thing. lol..
    wish my car started out that nice . i would have been driving it 4 years ago. leave as is.