Register now to get rid of these ads!

A bid to accelerate to 1,000 miles per hour

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dane, Sep 27, 2012.

1. So, going fast isn't traditional?

2. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

So anything fast is tradition. Man I am going to put some pictures of my buddirs O/ 72 Nova its real fast:D.

3. Okay, not quite what I meant- more towards the ongoing tradition of LSR :)...

and if your buddy's Nova went 1000mph, I'd want to see it, too :D!

4. BarryA

BarryA

5. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D:eek:That driver ain`t got brass balls.Hes got solid ARMOR PLATE balls the size of all out doors.Best of luck to the team.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

6. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Lol you got me there however there is a kid around every major city with a honda, subaru or you pick the brand rice burner that can go a grand i:Dn second gear

7. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

Uh, it uses a V-8 formula one engine for the fuel pump, and a jet engine from a Typhoon fighter jet to get it up to 230 mph before firing the ROCKET. I still say it's cool and crazy but not LAND speed. I'ts a low flying rocket with wheels.

Read more here:
    http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/10/03/successful-test-firing-for-1000-mph-car/?intcmp=features

8. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

It will be interesting to see if it stays on the ground and whether or not the wheels will explode from the centrifugal force. It might be like Wile E Coyote and just take off when the rocket fires. Takes some serious balls to get in that thing and push the go button. Despite all the engineering calculations and computer models, nobody knows for sure if it will work.

9. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

I shit my pants just reading it!

10. firingorder1

firingorder1

What ongoing tradition? If you mean using whatever means of propulsion for LSR then Bloodhound is on the right track. Donald Campbell used a turbine engine. Sir Henry Seagrave used an airplane engine. Craig Breedlove used a jet engine. I'd call it carrying on the tradition to a tee.

11. davedriveschevy

davedriveschevy

12. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

I basically agree with you. If the wheels don't drive the thing ... Wouldn't it just be simpler to put mag wheels on an old F-4 Phantom and call it a car? Boom, new automotive land speed record. I win.

And if that ain't fast enough, I will just add 4 or 6 JATO pods. Now that's a hot rod.

13. A rocket sled has gone over 6000 mph. OK, it was on a rail. It had no driver...but hey, if we are going to stretch parameters, it holds the LSR.

14. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

Wish you had told me that before I bought the Phantom. :rolleyes:

15. edweird

edweird

george poteet is the only hope.

16. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

If you can keep it on the ground you would win.
    Isn't it called 'land Speed'?..don't think this category is 'wheel driven'.

17. Andy, "You Sir do have a large pair of Testicles" !

18. noboD

noboD

Don't think I'd want to go that fast that close to the ground. It would leave a BIG brushburn if he crashed.

19. the-rodster

the-rodster

Uh, yeah.

A canadian group has been working on this approach with an F104 for over ten years now.

They are just now getting ready to see how fast it will actually go.

Check out their website...

www.landspeed.com

Rich

[​IMG]

20. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

Hmm, there you go. It's cool ... but I don't know, it's just odd to me. It would go faster at altitude, so why bother running it on the ground?

Maybe there should be a special land speed category in which the vehicle must complete the high speed run and then successfully take the driver through a Dunkin Donuts drive-through? (Or Tim Hortons, for any Canadians around.)

21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Why is it that i have known Ed Shadler for years and he always seemed to be an American to me? Granted Washington is close to Canada. But it is still the USA.

22. Probably safer than flying one. So many of these augered in that they became known as "Lawn Darts."

23. aircap

aircap

OK, folks - here's the lowdown. Rich Fox can back me up on this. The absolute land speed record has crept up slowly over the years in small increments - not in huge jumps.

Back in 1998 at Bonneville, I was privileged to hear Ron Ayers (the top engineer on the Thrust SSC) talk about breaking the speed of sound at 762MPH. He said it cost X amount of dollars to set the new record. It would cost twice as much to go 800, OK?

So you think the Bloodhound bunch can jump the record by 35 percent to 1000MPH without using the budget of a midsize country? Not gonna happen, guys - but I wish them well.

24. It's really simple... the guy's NUTS!

25. TwoLaneBlacktop

TwoLaneBlacktop
    from Burien

Okay lets just clear one thing up....... The North American Eagle (F-104) Land Speed Challenger is NOT a Canadian Team. We are a USA based team from Spanaway Washington and have Canadian Team members. Our primary drivers are Ed Shadel and Jessi Combs. Ed has over 30 years of racing experience at Bonneville along with many of the team members that have racing experience in all types of vehicles including Bonneville.

26. the-rodster

the-rodster

So give us some more info.....

How fast have you went?

When is your next run?

Is there an ETA for breaking the current record?

Rich

27. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Is this by any chance the same Jessi Combs that's on "All Girl Garage, and Overhaulin" ?

28. khead47

khead47

Yeah-same Jesse!

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always liked her. She is the real deal. I had chance to cross paths with her when she was hanging out with a friend of mine, when we were all out on a "unauthorized private property rocket launch", in West Oakland.

30. TwoLaneBlacktop

TwoLaneBlacktop
    from Burien

We ran 515 last October with Ed in the car. Jessi ran 440 with a two way average just over 392. Currently we were planning another session in June, However, the BLM won't give us a permit to run at that time so it's looking more like September.