Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My new project 1928 Ford with Flathead

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Frenchy Dehoux, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Last week I took my block and the heads to ready strip. Pick them up this week all the rust is gone but I when ahead and did a power wash to get some of the rust scale stuck in some various areas of the block. I ported and relieved the intake and exhaust ports to get the sharp edges. Took the block to the machine shop to have the valve job done and the cylinders bored out to 0.60 and have the crank turned down to the next size. Should have the block back within a week. Next I will order my parts from H&H in La Cresenta Calif.

Thanks
    Frenchy

2. Jeez, Frenchy, at least run a set of original BRMs....

Looking real good, sir. Say hi to Donny B, Rick Mortensen, and Sil and the rest of the "gang" for me.

3. Thanks Dave I will let them know. I will be posting more pictures as I get the block and machining back from the shop.

Frenchy

4. Here are a few more pictures of the work I have done this past weekend even so it was over 103 degrees in the garage in the shade wasn't so bad. I located a door pillar post which is out of a 1928 / 1929 Briggs I needed this piece so that I could use it as the main support for the rear 1/4 panel that I am also making out of the two rear doors. I had to cut this piece in half so that one would be for the right side and reversing the other piece for the left side. I will have to tig weld these two pieces right on the the rear 1/4 panel as the support. The doors on the passenger and driver side were both shortened 3 inches in lenght. And a picture of my wish bones which I will have to weld bungs. I will be using the same set up for the rear. A friend had called me this week to let me know he had a rear end he would give me to help out on this project which is a 1948 F100 and the wheel patern were 5 on 5 1/2 with the open drive line.

Thanks
    Frenchy

Attached Files:

5. Here are a few more pictures showing once I have these pieces welded in place the door will have the proper spacing.

Frenchy

Attached Files:

6. Here are a few updates on my project. My son has been helping me to get going on this project. All of the machining on the block is done and I have all the parts I had ordered from H&H. First we want to concentrate on the body than I will start building the engine.

Thanks
    Frenchy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  7. Here a few more pictures showing the right side of the cab. Slow process but so far so good for the first build. The last picture we started on building the inside frame of the doors I will be posting more pictures this week of the progress made.

Thanks
    Frenchy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  8. Here are a couple of pictures showing the passenger door inside panel which will have some bead roll done to it.

Thanks
    Frenchy

Attached Files:

9. Here I have a few pictures what was done this weekend. I needed to buy a shear cutter so that I did not have to use my die grinder to cut all of the pieces I needed took to long and more work. So I bought a nice metal shear cutter from one of the metal supply location I go to. Also bought some caster wheels for my engine stand seen in the back ground. So basically this weekend was more to buy tools and more equipment needed for this project. The only thing I was able to do is cutting all of these small pieces of metal to go between the rear quarter panel as mounting support brackets.The drum was from an 18 wheeler front very heavy and welded a plate with braces for better support.

Frenchy

Attached Files:

10. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Coming together pretty quick! I like the body, you seem to be able to find stuff just when you need it. Gonna be cool.

David

11. Thanks David slowly but so far I am happy with the progress. I have the engine back from the machine shop and all the parts I needed to build the motor but I will have to wait until I have the engine block installed for the fit on the chassis. I will post pictures of the engine parts later as well as pictures when I build the engine.

Frenchy

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  12. Blackroad

Blackroad
    from Sydney

Subscribed, look forward to seeing this progress. Have all the bits to build one of these for my 12 year old son when my 36 is done.

13. Thanks I will post pictures as soon as I have more done to it.

Frenchy

14. Here are a few pictures of what I did this past weekend not to much but moving forward. You are not looking at a dent on the passenger door just where the door panel was curving to match the inner panel. I also had the front axle drilled and now waiting for the front finned aluminum drums to be machined to fit the backing plates. I made the rear 1/4 panels from two doors cut them down to 12 inches and brace them.

Thanks
    Frenchy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  15. I have done more work on the car even so that it has been 118 + degrees here in Phoenix but this does not stop me from working on this project. Here are a few more pictures to show where I am as of today.

Frenchy

Attached Files:

16. I am thinking after I have the body all done I will make a removable top like the picture below is showing.

Frenchy

Attached Files:

17. MilesM

MilesM

Looks like it is coming together.

Heard the V12 running down Elliot last weekend!

18. Hi Miles

I went to the Prescott Valley car show last weekend. The 32 is running good but I have been working on the 29 every night when I get home from work doing some welding etc... I have ordered my tires and my 32 radiator shell and grill should be here this weekend. When you have a chance stop by the house and see the progress.

Frenchy

19. I got a karmin giha roof section that might work for the hard top let me know if you can use it. Looks good keep the updates coming.

20. I was thinking the same if the ghia roof section with some pie cutting may fit. I will let you know.

Frenchy

21. You gotta use that ghia roof....how cool would that be!!!

22. I have a roof section at home for a Ghia I will lift it up this wekend and see how it will look.

Frenchy

23. -Brent-

-Brent-

Really neat project. Who made the windshield?

24. The windshield is available at Speedway motors they are called Duval Windshield they go back as early as the 50's this one is a reproduction of the original. I have always liked the look of them when I am done with this project should be cool. You also have a nice project going. Are you looking for any parts for your project let me know I have extra.

Thanks
    Frenchy

25. I just received my bias ply tires black wall for this project from Coker Tires. At the rear 7.50 x 16 for the front 4.25 / 4.75 x 16. I will have them mounted this weekend on a set of 16 x 4 black rims all 4 of them.

Frenchy

26. Here are a few pictures showing the radiator shell and grill I received in the mail as well as the coker tires last week. I am planning to trim the bottom of the radiator shell to lower it a few inches so that it will have a good stance proportion to the cowl.

Frenchy

Attached Files:

27. brady1929

brady1929

looks great frenchy

28. Thanks slowly but eventually things are getting done no time for BS around my garage.

Frenchy

29. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Really digging the direction of this build. Keep up the good work.

30. Thank You for your comment.

Frenchy