Register now to get rid of these ads!

What to do when your health fails. And you can't work on your cars.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod--willys, Oct 2, 2012.

1. When I just cannot get around with my back/hip I do the smaller "sit down" jobs like rebuilding my carbs, starter, alternator at the kitchen table. I also used "down time" to make up my dash and insturment cluster, sanded my garnish moldings etc etc..Sometimes I just can't do a damn thing and I treat my body by sitting at my computer or TV...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  2. aaggie

aaggie

The hardest thing I've had to do as I got older was to slow down. I used to work almost non stop finishing projects, now I work when I feel like it and think things through before jumping in. The amazing thing is the project gets done in about the same time by doing it right the first time.

I also invested in some new tools that help with the heavy stuff. I use the engine hoist to lift transmissions and engine blocks up on the bench. I built a fabricating table that is a good height to work sitting on a stool while TIG welding.

One of the least expensive changes was to swap out the flourescent light fixtures for round hanging fixtures with the newer curly CFC lamps in "bright daylite". The difference in being able to see in the shop is amazing.

3. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Just stay positive. I've been chronically ill for about three years now and unable to have any cars or bikes, or even do my passion of building and painting them for people. What keeps me going is my girl and family, hot rod events, and hoping for that light at the end of the tunnel. Just stay strong man. Never give up.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. i'm not old or crippled but i have a health issue that makes it "uncomfortable" to work on my cars. so i'm trying to find my way right now too. how do i achieve what i want /need done? i'm not sure yet, but i believe i'll find my way, and i hope you guys do as well.

5. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Number one, join the HAMB Gimp Squad. This has gotten me through some very rough times. A little over a year ago I was told I would be lucky to walk, let alone do anything else. I sold a lot of projects, finally got a TV, and literally gave up. Depression sets in quickly. Luckily my VA doctor has a sense of humor. I told her I'd let her know when I got the exhaust system fixed on my truck. I didn't own any guns back then. I finally had enough one day, and went to see a Doctor who specializes in nerve damage. I had pretty well lost the use of my hands at that point. The VA agreed with his findings, and had him do the surgery. 24 hours later, I could feel my feet and hands. I now have steel rods in my back, and steel plates in my neck. It has taken a lot of physical therapy, the support of a couple really good friends, and a lot of determination to get to the point I'm at today. I still hurt so bad, most nights I can't sleep, and if I think about it, I start hurting. The key is to stay active. I don't take pain pills, and I can't drink or smoke. Be thankful each day for little accomplishments. Fifteen minutes a day on your project is still progress, and you'll notice over time fifteen will turn into twenty and so on. Now I have a lot of projects again, and I get an hour or so each day. I still haven't fixed the exhaust on my truck, and I have a shotgun, but no shells yet. Each day will get better if you let it.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

obviously you are far from being alone with being limited as to what you can with cars anymore. look at car shows now there are more guys in motorized wheel chairs or on scooters. hey, the 'ole body ain't built to last forever. but, you can stay young at heart and keep yourself focused on doing what you can, and then some. don't get in a rut, change your daily routine. post away here with your contributions on different topics. never say never. just may have to modify things to make something happen. keep smiling.

7. spiders web

spiders web

I feel for you buddy. After 40 years of walking on the concrete and working with hand tools, its hard on a fella. Between the carpal tunnel and arthritis in my hands it hurts to work sometimes. Probably would have lasted longer if I'd been more saintly in my younger years. Wouldn't trade it for anything though. Just keep on keep'in on.

8. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

https://sites.google.com/site/badlandscoupe/

this is what I did/doing to stay semi sane.... built a web site. On page two click on "speech" link...
    Site is in the building stage but its like building a hot rod..
    Pontiac Slim

9. RussTee

RussTee

Here the local vintage car club has a parts shed its huge and consists of several sheds and a compound for complete cars. Every Wednesday members meet and old or infirm members are welcomed their knowledge is incredable when it comes to sorting parts every thing is neat and tidy and it is seldom you cant find what you need.

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I dread that very statement. A friend injured his back years ago and sold everything as he was no longer able to enjoy his passion (cars). He now does other things but still loves his cars foremost. As one door closes another one opens.

11. 73super

73super

This is a good read and reminder for those of us who are still "able bodied" to get off our butts, don't get lazy and enjoy the hell out of our cars. I do feel for the guys who can no longer bend a wrench.. that has to hit ya in the gut.. especially if you hold a strong passion for old cars, gas and oil. Hang in there please! Hopefully you'll get to a point where, if nothing else you can go out and look, sit and just be around the stuff. I love my shop and when I want to chill I'll just go out there, crack a cold one and sometimes just sit inside one of my rides and give thanks. I am thankful.. not only to God for the gifts.. but to fellow HAMB-ers for motivation, inspiration, and a lot of laughs. Good thoughts and prayers to all the old timers! You guys are valued and appreciated! Hang in there!

12. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

You do what you can for as long as you can. When health changes ,you change with it. I got Rheumatoid Arthritis at 34. Bam everything changed. Went from playing softball,running etc to barely walking and chewing. I never sold my cars ( thanks to my wife who would not let me ! ) I was very down. It took a long time but through meds and help I do much better now. Hang in there !!

13. I can't see,
    I can't pee.
    I can't chew,
    I can't screw.
    My memory shrinks,
    My hearing stinks.
    No sense of smell,
    I look like hell.
    My body is drooping,
    I have trouble pooping.
    The golden years have come at last,
    The golden years can kiss my ass!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  14. 73super

73super

If nothing else you can ALWAYS maintain a great sense of humor! Important to laugh at yourself.. not always easy.. but necessary! :D

15. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I'm a 62 year old in a 82 year old body, I keep getting new projects, I guess I'm too optimistic. I building a 48 Chrysler for my next door neighbor, he's 80 in Dec, he comes over and helps by cleaning up a few parts slowly but he he gets it done. He always says I can't wait to drive this thing! I'd say this is how to keep young! At least I'm still walking around! I feel for all of you guys that can't get around as well as you would like, so hang in there and stay optimistic!

16. Good words 72super....I do just the things you list here....It's not about getting away from my wife or anything, I have a great, understanding wife, a real hotrod gal. She understands me.
    So now and then I just make a bourbon and go and absorb the atmosphere of my cave, turn on the sounds, and get enthused about little jobs that need attention, do small jobs ....polishing something or...... even just perv at the great iron sitting there.
    I'm 56 and my shoulders are both shot, plus a knee.......for me , I just have to be more thoughtful about how I'm going to go about some things.....I used to be rip, shit, and bust..(A Kiwi coloquialism for 'Tearing into it')...but these days I pace myself a lot more and enjoy the trip.
    Surely there are Hambers in your neck of the woods who can visit you and learn from you or keep you enthused, or even show you other ways to stay interested in the hobby. We're losing too many experienced, knowledgeable older rodders to let you slip into obscurity!
    Don't ever think that you are too old for that stuff, kick the Lazyboy in the arse and walk to the shed!........take a nice beverage with you.;)
    If I was in your neighbourhood, I'd be a drop in.......:) there's a bit of 'Tyrany of distance' to that idea though unfortunately.

17. I keep plugging away at my projects,I'm in pretty good health but because of a significant motorcycle accident years ago I have limited use of my clutch leg.

I don't plan on building anymore stick cars. HRP

18. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I have this thing called Addisons disease, adrenal glands that dont work, vitamin B and D anemic. Yeah I'm a frigging treat to be around some days. I get a few good days a week and do what I can. Last build I fabbed the frame, did the chop etc etc. Start to finish in 10 months. My model A had a frame and was already chopped when I got it. 2 years ago! I keep pluggin along when I feel good but I bet I spend more time on the HAMB.

Sent from my Droid powered Samsung Galaxy S

19. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

The internet, not to mention HAMB is fantastic for guys like me who can't work anymore. I had not even thought about this stuff for over 4 decades but now I can drive the new kids nuts filling the screen with rambling posts about old photo's they put up.
    Can't wait until I can get out to one of their race 'events' one of these days.
    The internet saved me from an institution :) Dig it! Tom S. in Tn.

20. detroitboy27

detroitboy27
    from katy, tx

X2 on model cars, I use to love building them as a kid and early teenager because I had no resources to build a real car. You could also build a model of what your working on and go through different options you have not decided on yet. You could make side by side comparisons such as paint, interior, and etc. You'll feel good at the end that you accomplished something, and can enjoy it.

As many people have said, stay positive, and do what ever you can to be in a positive enviornment. I make it priority to saty away from as much negativity as I can.

21. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Feel your pain. I had a knee replacement surgery scheduled for this past July but canceled it. I couldn't bear the thought of not being able to work in the garage and drive my 34 this summer and fall. Wearing a brace now and sucking on Advil to get through the pain. Cruising the countryside very opportunity I get and still riding my Harley so all is good. Going south for the month of Jan and will deal with the consequences after that. Nothing but cold and snow here in Feb. so maybe I go under the knife then.

22. 2935ford

2935ford

Yeah, I'd like to give the person(s) who coined that phrase a good shake!

If your condition is temperary, you'll be back at it soon. If not there are tons of things to do. Go after one of your other interests or research things of interest.
    Each day brings something new and different.:)

23. slobroy

slobroy

Ya never know how bad off you think you are until you hear from other folks and their problems. I don't thank GOD enough as I should. I'm recovering from a neck fusion surgery and have to watch how much I pick up. Restricted to 5-10 lbs. for now. But the day I get my release the shit's gonna fly....

24. jazz1

jazz1

Possibly other auto related hobby? Something not as strenuous as working on the full size rods..

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  25. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Find someone young, who wants to learn and mentor them. Show them how to do it. That way, your work gets done and they learn how to do it. The circle of Life, or atleast the circle of Carlife continues.

26. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

hotrod--willys,

I injured my back once and could hardly walk. I felt useless. A friend of mine had a car with a badly rusted frame that he wanted me to fix. I couldent walk, much less craw under a car. but I could still weld, something he coulden'

I would instruct him where to cut and grind and he would help me onto a creaper and shove me under the car with my welding stinger. The car was done in a couple of weeks!.

You have a shop and tools? Why not let someone work in your shop and share your expertise with a younger Hanber?

Maybe you have a project that you will never finish, give it to him with the uderstanding that when he gets it finished he can take it away.

Move your easy chair into the shop and give out advise! It will give you the insentive to get out of the house.

Some may say, oh! but he will steal your tools and screw up your shop. Not likely if you are there. Besides what good are your tools if you don't use them!

You may even find that he will help you in and out of that easy chair if you can't make it. Better still, hey may even drive you to a car show of the doctor once in a while.

Concentrate on what you can do, not what you can't.

27. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

Great idea Don... :)

28. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Heart issues, a plate and 3 screws in my back, still keep plugging away when I have the ambition. It's what keeps you young. Try to work through the pain. Winters are the worst. Cooped up in the house with no garage, just a small workshop where I can go and work on some old cycles or mini bikes. Hang in there man, you're not alone.
    Tom

29. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was in the same position a couple of years ago when I underwent treatment for cancer. I didn't go out to my shop for close to 10 months. I kept the spark going by spending more time on HAMB, reading about others projects and trying to answer any questions I could.

Most important thing of all is to recognize depression and fight it off or get help to do so. It's all too easy to get in the "poor me" attitude and the way you face your problems is one of the most important things in over coming them. Been there.

If you want to talk, PM me.

30. sir

sir

hang in there brother .....never quit!! Sometimes you just have to "re-group" and
    count your blessings!!
    just do what you can.

Attached Files: