Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Go west old man

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob K, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Maggie & I started our western trip by heading west to Sault Ste Marie Mi. We were accompanied by my son and his girl and 3 members of the Super Clique of Minnesota and were meeting the Old Bolts of Sturgeon Bay Wi in Escanaba Mi. We had 29 folks for our Fall Color Trip on the Algoma Central RR out of the Soo. The train goes 114 miles north to Agawa Canyon and then returns.

[​IMG]

We a rather unauspicious start to the trip when Maggie was walking around the car, she flat ass disappared. Yep fell and injured her Left ankle for the 3rd time in 5 years. Not to go to the ER yet as we have a train trip to do.

She took full advantage of the injury and I even got a wheelchair at the park.

[​IMG]

The color was fatastic but only one picture to appease the folks that will call this OT.
    [​IMG]

When we got back to the Soo we went to dinner at the Docks, the Whitefish was superb. Then we went to the ER and got her Xrayed and this is the result.
    [​IMG]

We left the next morning, destination Everette Wa.

To be continued

B:)B

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear about her ankle, that sucks!
    Have a great trip, will be following along.

3. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Shes a tough girl to keep on with a broken ankle. Beatiful pics. Have fun be safe.

4. You have one tuff gal there,,soldiers on even after a fall!:eek:

Shes a keeper,,but you alread knew that didn't you!:D

You guys have fun. HRP

5. Hey there, I wish I knew you were on our side of the border. We could have got together for a quick visit.
    Good luck on your trip, perfect time of year to travel.

6. That train trip from The Soo to Agawa Canyon is sooooo slooooowwww. But i,ve done it twice with the missus. Had a great time. The train does,nt slow down for animals on the tracks. Any slower and it goes backwards. Did you see the bushpilots museum ?

7. Did Maggie break it Bob, or just a sprain?? Hope she's feeling OK. Happy trails you two, love your road trip threads.:)

8. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Wow, What a trooper to carry on...Enjoy the rest of the trip

9. Bob, you can never have a post that is off topic. Sorry about your wife's fall, but enjoy your trip and God Bless.

10. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Bob, don't know you personally but I live rite on Hy.2 and the 97 junction, just before heading threw Leavenworth WA. up Stevens Pass. Fully equipped shop and bathroom facilities just in case you want to take a break before heading out on your last 3 hours of the trip West ...............................

11. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

OL55

I should have been more specific and mentioned that her ankle is just sprained not broken. Sorry.

Algoma 56

We ate at the docks, whitefish was delicious. Next time we will make sure we let you know.

We stopped at the Toonerville trolley but it was closed, this is an idea for another fall color trip, a boat ride to the Tahquamenon Falls. http://www.exploringthenorth.com/toonerville/trolley.html

Bob

12. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

I have done that boat trip before, it is an 6 1/2 hour boat ride but the scenery is fantastic and there is lots of wildlife. Maybe we will do this in 2014.

Any way we made it to Superior Wi Sunday night and had dinner at Grandmas Saloon and Grille one of our favorite places. Had a great meal of Walleye and Maggie had a salad with a Walleye cake on it.

Monday saw us head out on Hwy 2, we took a 20 mile detour to go to Cloquet Mn to see a gas station that was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and built in 1958. It is still operating and is a full service station so I deceided to fill up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sky lights in the service bays, neat idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The stairs leading to the customer lounge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That glass enclosed area above the pumps is the customer lounge, really neat. Some of Wrights buildings are being demolished but this one remains as an example of his work.

We stopped to see sfm1951 in Grand Rapids Mn and check out his chit.

[​IMG]

I have never before seen a dual 4 bbl manifold for a chebby I 6

[​IMG]

This is also a neat piece

[​IMG]

How can you not stop and get a picture in front of a big fish.

[​IMG]

Worlds largest Northern Pike in Erskine Mn

[​IMG]

Paul Bunyan and his Blue Ox Babe in Bemidji Mn

[​IMG]

Spent the night in Crookston Mn at a just barely adequate Americas Best Value Inn. Best Value My Ass !!!!!!!

13. phat rat

phat rat

You thought only Motel 6 was bad? LOL I had a stay booked at an Americas Best Value Inn once. When I got there I walked away and got a room elsewhere. I would never book/stop at one again. Looks like your enjoying a great time, hope Maggie is also. Sorry to hear about her ankle

14. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Thanks for sharing the photos of your trip, Bob! Hope Maggie's ankle heals upquickly! Safe travels to you both!!!

15. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

For your feminine side you may enjoy this place, it's in Wenatchee and on your rout ..........
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qXRmoFYygs&feature=em-share_video_user

Hydroplanes, Mahogany and Merlot at Lk. Chelan on the 6-7
    Monroe swap meet also on the 6-7
    Stop in on your way up Stevens Pass and post a pic of yourselves and car at the '59ner Dinner, than hit Zeke's at Gold Bar for a Rhubarb milk shake!

16. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Dont forget the Sultan Bakery

17. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

I can't find Lk Chelan on my AAA trip tik, where is it near?
    Is Gold Bar near the 59 Diner?

Looks like we are gonna get a foot of snow as we head to minot ND.

B:confused:B

18. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

The sultan is on the must do list.

19. ryno

ryno

Have. A safe trip old man
    That Maggie,can't take her anywhere!

20. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Nah, about 10 miles east of the Sultan Bakery, Btw that's all my neighborhood, if ya see a teal blue '65 el camino with a guy in his late 20's, doing something reckless running around there that's my daily driver. also that stuff is also in the same neighborhood as divers street rods(the ridler winning ferrari powered rambler guys)

21. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

22. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Lk Chelan is in eastern Wa, close to Hwy I-90. Not familiar enough to know how close Hwy 2 comes to it. But it is a nice lake. some wineries in the area..

Divers just also finished a really nice 54 cehvy that you might like

23. 2935ford

2935ford

Here's the Agawa Canyon from the air. Flew over it on our way to have the Otter float plane we were flying in for service in SSM 2 summers ago.
    Sure is beautiful from up in the air.

Now I need to take that train trip!

Attached Files:

24. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

'59ner Diner is about 20 miles West of Leavenworth on Hy.2, rite at Lk. Wenatchee.
    So you would hit '59 Diner first, than Zeke's, than Sultan, by than you should be ready for the Farmers Market and sea food in Seattle!
    Lk. Chelan is 45 min.N. from Wenatchee on 97 but worth the extra 1 1/5 hr. drive to and from IMO.
    I have a friend that owns a Winery here on 2, beautiful large log home, pond in front, grapes & Pear Orchard, would like to get a pic of your car on the green grass in front of the home/pond!

25. visor

visor
    Member Emeritus
    from Missouri

Bob you and Maggie are living the dream. I hope Maggie is felling better.
    And the old Chevy is still looking great. Take it slow bro.
    Cheers

26. FEDER

FEDER

Bob I just posted on Your other thread. I live north of everett. Your welcome to stop by Im always home (retired). PM Me for phone # Fed

27. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

Were you in Ada on Tuesday about noon? Dang, I was just passing by and think I saw your car in front of Eugene's shop. I need to be less busy, I guess. Have a safe journey.

28. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Yep that was us, just stopped to see the old guy.

29. skoh73

skoh73

Cool stuff! Have a continued safe journey and thanks for the pics.

30. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

After a memorable at the Americas Worst Value Inn we headed 30 miles south to the thriving metropolis of Ada Mn. to see our buddy Eugene Vik. He has a big shop right downtown with a bunch of finished cars and a project or two including this 53 Chebby.

[​IMG]

41 Buick with Lancer wheel covers on this side and neat wheels from the Early Wheel co and 5X5 spiders on the other

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just how many chopped Buick wagons have you seen in your life?

[​IMG]

Our parting shot, thanks for the tour Eugene.

[​IMG]

We then drove 60 miles north to Warren Mn to hook up with Adam K, he was still working, ( I remember those days) so we stopped at the local water dept, there was a guy taking pictures that put us in contact with Bob, another local hot rodder. We drove out to his farm to look at his stuff.

58 Chebby 2dr wgn (handyman?)

[​IMG]

It's even got a BBC

[​IMG]

He has got a nice 61 chebby bubble top but the pic didn't turn out. he's got a bunch of stuff, including this neat inliner manifold.

[​IMG]

The pic of the model of the Chebby turned out though

[​IMG]

Thhis truck has been in the local area owned by the same family since it was new.
    [​IMG]

I don't know shit about mudercycles but this is neat.

[​IMG]

Hey this dude has an airplane hanging from his shop ceiling. Coolio !!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

Adam K was home from work so we went over to see him.

Did I mention that the wind was blowing 40 mph + and the roads are dirt, the chebby needed a bath real bad, took a duster to it for temporary relief.

Adam is an engineer for Artic Cat. I loved this sign

[​IMG]

The chassis for his 62 Merc Montery wagon is ready for the body but that needs work yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Neat 300 inliner in his work truck, got a milled head and headers.

[​IMG]

Said our goodbys and headed for Grand Forks and a night at the Settle Inn. (much better than last night) but first the Mandatory enter the new State picture.

[​IMG]

55 Caddy parked in the Perkins restaurant next to the settle inn.

[​IMG]

Settle inn was nice we slept in and then headed for Rydell Chevrolet in Grand Forks to see Wes's shop. HOLY SHIT WHAT A PLACE.

To be continued

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012