Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Camaro Clip in your 58 chevy-in one day!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LUX BLUE, Dec 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anyone have fender wheel clearance issues my turning radius sucks mines pretty low rolling 3.5 backspace wheels

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

If you lowered it to much and have anything wider than stock width wheels you will get some rubbing. Had the same issue for a customer, did the work and he put wider wheels on and had rubbing issues.

3. I measured wrong im running 4 inch backspace what did you guys end up doing ZMan

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I put some wheels on that were the correct size and showed that they didn't have the rubbing issue, still a little but only at full lock when hitting a bump.. The customer decided to keep the rims he chose and deal with the rubbing.

5. that will work only problem i'm not sure what size will work ZMAN, can you give me a hint or point me in the right direction please

6. Grumbler

Grumbler

Second gen F body clips are 70-81

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

7. mt94ss

mt94ss

OK, it looks like LUX BLUE hasn't been here in a while so hopefully someone who has done this swap can help.

Before I cut anything I would like to know what you did about the difference in frame height on the clip. It's a 2-piece frame so the outside is about an 1/8" raised over the inside.
    [​IMG]

It would seem that it would be better to weld both inside and outside of the stub. Probably overkill seeing what new cars are like. 2" stitch welds spaced about a foot apart.

Thanks!

Mike

8. Gomojo55

Gomojo55

I think most people just fill the gap with a fillet weld. And yes, weld both sides of each frame rail.

9. JAWS

JAWS

Are you laying the frame on top of the clip?

10. Gator

Gator

Finally gathering up the parts to clip my daily driver '55 this winter... scored a clip out of a mid-seventies car in a local junkyard for a measly C-note!

When I got the truck it already had a disc brake conversion and mono-leaf front springs on it. When it came time a couple years back to re-build the front end I considered clipping it, but instead I went ahead and replaced the king pins and upgraded to power steering. I'd have been WAY better off if I'd just clipped it.

Big thanks to my buddy and fellow Poorboy CC member Pete for helping me get the clip out and get it home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's my old truck now;

[​IMG]

11. mt94ss

mt94ss

Yeah, like LUX BLUE did here. I was just curious about the gap.

[​IMG]

Lots of measuring ahead...

12. that is just the different frame spacing.

13. I have a late 70's Z28 subframe, and have been collecting parts to get ready to clip my '56, but I want to keep the 6 lug wheels. Been trying to find a 6 lug hub to use on my Camaro spindles and had heard that there is a 1-2 year light duty truck hub that will fit (but no one knows the year).

Talked with a local guy on Sat who said to use a '69 4x4 front hub and '94 or newer rotor?

Can anyone confirm/deny that this will work, or does anyone know the info on the light duty hub?

Thanks, Bill

14. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Im no help but ya might have better luck starting your own thread with this specific question;)

15. Good point- will do!

16. shoebox50

shoebox50

Can you use a front clip from a 67 Camaro for this swap?

17. Yes, a first gen (67-69) stub will work. They are rear steer, which can actually work out better if you are trying to keep the stock column. Everyone bitches about header clearance with these, but you can get headers for 67 Camaros, right?

18. Okay,

I'm getting the materials together to clip my '56 over winter break, and will re-read the thread, but what are the "essentials" for doing the job (I'm JUST doing the clip- no running brake lines, etc)?

Here's what I've come up with so far:
    • 78 Z28 clip
    • 5 lug wheels for "rollers"
    • remove the doghouse from the truck
    • plenty of jack stands
    • welder (obviously)
    Is there anything I'm missing/overlooking?

Thanks, Bill

19. Bumping this up- I could REALLY use your input!

20. raidmagic

raidmagic

Either start a thread with your questions so more will see it or send a PM to the OP or the person you want to help you

21. txturbo

txturbo

I have a 55 2nd series with the clip done this way. The only brake line work you need to do is to connect the subframe brake system to the original truck system. Not sure I would recommend that though. You should also update the master cylinder with a dual reservoir type since you are switching to disc brakes in the front. You also need some steering shaft pieces to adapt the steering column to the box.This is how mine sits without any c-notch in the rear. The axle is below the springs in the rear still. I'm considering doing that in the near future though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  22. 68vette

68vette

I have clipped three of my cars.....the first was a 55 ford F100. I installed a 71 Monte Carlo clip and it fit like a glove....it was the perfect width and I never even had the front end aligned in 30,000 miles. Took me longer than 2 days though. The most critical parts are making sure the anti dive angle is like the orig clip had, re-installing the bumper brackets, and very critical...making sure the front crossmember is dead right on height wise or your whole front end sheet metal will have gaps and never fit...and that is never going to fit right if you are off here.

I did extend the wheel base by 1 inch and the tire sat perfect in the opening.

I once bought a 53 ford panel truck when I first started my car hobby and it had a camaro clip already installed. The guy who sold it to me said that the guy that clipped it was known around and had clipped many of them. I sold this panel to a guy who finished the panel and I saw him a couple of years later and of course asked about the panel I had sold him but never had finished it. He said who ever put the clip in ( even though it looked really nice to me and to him of course) should have been shot. He had taken the panel after spending thousands finishing it, to 3-4 different front end shops for alignment as it was like driving a skate board above 20 mph. None could align it so you could actually drive it....so....even though it looks nice, does not mean it will drive nice....he said he now owned a very expensive yard art item....I really felt bad for him.

The early monte would be perfect for 48-56 ford 100 or 49-59 chevy pick up and that is what I would use....mine looked factory when finished and was boxed using the cut off frame part backwards and putting it on the inside of the frame.

Both original ford frames(and chevy p-u too) are 34 inches wide where they are welded....both chevy front end clips were fitted at the 34 inches wide point on the 55 f100 and 51 ford.

I also clipped my 51 ford car. I used a 84 monte carlo for this one....again...it was the perfect width and this car drove like the 55 f100....like a dream. I never had this one aligned either driving it for 8 years and the tires looked brand new....even though the car has been sold and is close to Greensboro NC, it is still in the classifieds on this forum with a video clip and you can see how nice it rides and drives.

I personally would use the same front ends again if clipping the same type cars/trucks....I and my friend clipped his 54 ford wagon with a 80's el camino...worked out fine. I think S-10's are too narrow and camaro's too wide for these cars and trucks...I first had a gibbons torsion bar front end on the f100....what a huge mistake that was...never rode the same from day to day and was never smooth riding.

My fleetline has a MII....not my first choice but due to ease of install....will be fine.

I am sure I have photos of these clips somewhere....they were a few computers back but I have cd's somewhere with the progress.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  23. 68vette

68vette

Volare front end....

They are not adjustable.....there is a one setting/distance that is the correct torsion setting, this setting is listed in volare tech specs....anything less is either way to soft and the truck will bottom out....if you adjust it tighter...you will feel like you are riding in a boat.

Also, if you change the torsion....you change the front end alignment....and if you think you can put it back exactly where it was....you are a better than I am.

On rear shock settings on these trucks....

When I had my 55 f100, I bought 4 different sets of rear shocks to get a good ride...what you do NOT want is shocks that are efficient ( straight up and down)...the bed has NO weight on it unless you are building a work truck....I found the only shock that worked on the truck and gave a good ride was an old nos hydradulic shock ( not stiff gas shock).....I left it at the old orig angle to be less effective so it rode nice.

Attached Files:

24. Old dogs and children

Old dogs and children
    from Tampa

Thank goodness for selfless people that share and expect no pay. Very respectfully,

missmuriel likes this.
  25. Gator

Gator

Finally getting ready to get going on this swap for my '55 - when I got the truck someone had already installed composite mono-leaf springs up front and added disc brakes. The steering was sloppy and I debated clipping it then, but Instead put in new kingpins and a CPP power steering kit.

I wish I'd have clipped it then!

Anyway, picked up a '76 subframe last fall and had intended to clip it this past 'off-season' but life got in the way. After getting the fillings rattled out of my teeth on the trip to the Road Rockets show last weekend I immediately came home and started tearing it down for a rebuild. A friend with a heavy-duty sand blaster has offered to clean it all up for me.

I still won't tear my old truck apart till the Redneck Rumble in September, but I'm hoping to have the clip painted, rebuilt, and ready to go.

Here's my buddy Pete helping me get it outta the salvage yard last year.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1372277116.182951.jpg

26. I have the same question. I am preparing to install a 81 camaro clip in my 59 chevy this summer. For those of you that has done this before: Did you weld in a plate to level the top of the camaro clip off before you welded it to the truck frame?

Thanks,
    59chev

27. rustydibris

rustydibris

what are you guys using for brake booster/master's ? are you using the camaro booster?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.