Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone had problems with hurst racing tires?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by paul55, Sep 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

read the older post by kiwi32 called hurst racing tyres and let us know if you've had similar problems with balancing, customer service, tire seperation, etc.

2. Lurk king

Lurk king

I love my HURST racing tires! great customer service,fast shipping,good product.
    I've refered them to many of my friend who are just as pleased as me. One runs mid 11's with HURST tires on all four corners.

3. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Considering the heat on the other thread starting a new one is just going to make this worse IMHO. I don't think this need two threads.

4. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

Hold on my popcorns almost done!

5. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Got butter? :cool:

6. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

This one should work out as long as that zeph goober doesn't chime in.

7. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Maybe, but these threads kind of always turn out the same.

Some guys will have had problems, some will have had big ones, but others will say "no way, the dude rocks" and so on and not much comes out of it.

I have seen a ton of Cody's tires on cars...some are works of art, some are pretty crappy. I personally had big problems with the front runners and was not pleased with the slicks or the service, but I am sure others have not had problems and will sing praises and a few others will look at something else.

That is how this will turn out...:rolleyes:

8. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

That pretty much hits the nail on the head!

9. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

I would think guys here would support a fellow hot rodder that's been done wrong! I've had several PMs from guys that had problems with hurst tires, they're just hesitant to post on the forum. Once a few chime in, maybe others will follow.

10. TheDozer

TheDozer

ANY time a fellow rodder posts a potential issue with a product, CS etc-I listen, always will.
    Then I can make an educated decision on whether I want to "risk" said product, comp.
    Thanks, to those that have posted up reviews of products-don't stop

11. I don't personaly know Cody and ther was a time that I wasn't sure if he was OK, due to a relationship with another fella that didn't get along with him.

That said I have only heard of one time that anyone had bad customer service from him, there was a family situation that took him away from the shop. it is a family owned business and when things go bad at home in a family owned busienss that always seem to be the case.

I have delt with and cintinue to deal with a lot of small businesses, given my options I try to work with them. If I am havig a problem with a business that normally has a good reputation I usually try to find out if there is a problem before I go about bad mouthing them or ask questions that may suggest a problem with their intergrity.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Oh gee I just noticed that someone drug up this 9 month old thread and I said just about the same thing on there about the same company. Hmmmmmnnn I must be getting old.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=665535

12. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

In the older thread I mentioned above, I give a pretty complete account of what happened, extra money spent, hours running back n' forth to tire stores and numerous calls and questions to Cody. As I said, it looks like once you buy them, they're yours. Good, bad, or other! Wanted to work with cody on this, but he did'nt want to reciprocate. It's a head scratcher to me! Hence this thread, and my comments/explanation on the older thread. Paul

13. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

porknbeaner, you're not getting older, just wiser and consistent

14. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Hurst racing tires, aka adam's hot rod rubber. you can google Adam's hot rod rubber complaints and find other unhappy customers.

15. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

With all of the effort to drag me under, how about a simple picture of the damage to the bead of the tire.

Thank You
    Cody Adams
    HURST

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You're still not going to hear anything bad about Cody, his dad, or their products from me! I have four sets of them running around town on customer builds that work perfectly well even in Phoenix's heat. And a couple of these cars are routinely driven to tracks and drag raced. Cody took an order from me once on a Wednesday, and explained that they were headed out the next day for a show about 500 miles from them so they wouldn't be able to get the tires shipped until the following Tuesday... The damn things were on my doorstep on Friday afternoon! That was with no begging or expidited delivery charges or any such nonsense. Put me in the win catagory!!!

Oh, and to the guy up the line that thought these were non functional... You do realize that most of the drag slicks that were around in the era the H.A.M.B. celebrates were indeed recaps, right?

17. Hell when I was younger I ran around on recaps all the time. Slicks or not, some of mine actually wore through the tread to the other tire. It is still common to see over the road trucks running recaps, nothing takes more of a beating then the tires on a cross country semi.

Recaps done correctly wear well and are as safe a tires as any other.

Well I guess that was a little out of line, too late I can't untype it. ;)

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

What 'Beaner, no "backspace" button?!:D

19. Took it off my key board, if you and I were in the garage I couldn't unsay anything. :D

Hey while we are not Cody bashing for a second, what does this smiley mean :p, is that the same as Phttttt, or a rasberry?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Bruce Slicks were just across the bay from me. And everyone ran Bruce's recap tires when i was drag racing. M&H had not started up yet. We thought they were great. Don't know about these tires, but lots of recaps smoked the quarter.

21. Pretty easy to tell those who grew up with air bags and antilock brakes. They don't get it at all as a rule.:(

22. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

nobody's trying to put anyone under, just stating the facts about the situation and how it was handled, not very professionally. How do pics of the bead relate to the initial problem of large amounts of weight to balance and make them drivable! These were bad cores from the onset, plain and simple. The remedy should have been plain and simple. I'm glad some of you have had good tires and a good experience, as we were also hoping for the same! It just did'nt happen for us.

23. Paul
    I think it will get itself sorted out in time, most things do. I understand your frustration and this does give you a chance to get it off your chest instead of making an ass out of yourself on the telephone. Sometimes you got to vent.

Sometimes balance problems can be cured by clocking the tires differently on the rims. I have brand new bias ply mud and snows on my parts hauler. Out of 4 two of them were going to take a bunch of weight to balance, the tire guy let the air out and moved the tire around on the rim to overcome the problem. Sometimes it happens with all tires of all brands, it is just the nature of the beast.

This is not to say that what is between you and cody doesn't need to be settled, but it may be a viable solution to your problem is ballance is your only issue. Take it from an old guy never leave a beef unsettled. It will only eat at you.

24. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

25. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Thanks for reply and we tried everything, including as you suggested. We even had them mounted on different(new) wheels, because Cody insisted our org. wheels were the problem. Believe me, we spent lots of extra money and time trying to make them work, as they are very cool looking tires. They still have to perform and be safe though. Paul

26. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

The bead was not damaged by the installer, it is simply coming apart due to age, I suppose. The installer is a professional with many collector cars of his own. You did not patiently work with us, you just played the blame game as you just did in your prior post. Everyone who sent me PMs about their experiences indicated that you never offered to take their tires back either. I guess, because you don't make money taking back bad tires. You're still not acknowledging or taking any responsibility. Why? I don't get it. It's good business!

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I don't have a dog in this fight and am not going to favor one side or the other, but I just have a comment about how some businesses handle complaints like this when they come up.

I worked for a major marine supply discounter. They had a "no questions asked" return policy. We had customers who brought back stuff that was obviously damaged on installation by the customer, yet we smiled and gave them a full refund or another item. It was company policy, and if we ever did not do that the Manager of the store had to personally call the customer, apologize, and offer them a $25 gift certificate for not taking good care of them.

I questioned that policy one time in a meeting because we were taking back some items where we really had not done anything wrong, the customer had screwed it up. The answer I got was " If you take back that item the cost to us is much less than the damage we will incur by him telling all his friends we do not stand behind our products."

Just sayin', maybe all the time invested in talking with this customer, debating it on here, and having a customer who is now telling all his friends about it, cost you more than a couple of tires.

Don

28. Don
    That is not a 21st century concept I am afraid, there are still a few places around that do it anyway. Return customers are your best customers and in our hobby the way that trends change I think it is your best bet.

I was in Wally World in the early 90s, I had purchased some tires from the wrecking yard and one of them was going to need a boot or replaced. I was considering replacing it. The tire dept guy came over to help me find what I wanted and I told him about my situation, he said go bring the tire in and we will replace it. I explained again the situation and he said, "I don't care one tire is worth your business to me."

Return business is a 20th century concept I am afraid.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  29. Gotta agree with Don and Beaner.....

Also having worked in the tire industry that torn bead story is bullshit.....Another lost customer here.

30. yea but Don's getting old. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.