Register now to get rid of these ads!

R-10 Borg warner wiring help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dtwbcs, Sep 30, 2012.

1. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

I have a rebuilt 3speed OD trans in my 1960 BA.Fresh rebuilt,as is the engine.Trans has gov&solenoid attatched.Also have pull cable.Would like simple easy way to make it work.Read about a toggle switch(?).Wire from ignition to switch to ??

Thanks in advance,Danny

2. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

The car did NOT come with OD.

3. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Here is the factory wiring diagram. They were all very similar, irregardless of the brand.

The other option is to take a toggle switch and us it to supply power to the hot side of the solenoid. Then all you do is hit the switch, pedal the motor, and bang, your in OD. You can then either turn the switch off and it will come out of OD the next time you lift off the gas, or keep the switch on until you want to disengage OD.

[​IMG]

4. 26 roadster

26 roadster

if you google R-10 overdrive you will get a lot of help. I have several diagrams I downloaded for this, just don't know where they are.

5. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

What's a 1960 BA?

6. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

1960 Bel Air.Yes I googled it.I think I could run a hot wire to a switch which goes to the solenoid,right??Pull out cable to disengage&turn switch off?Or kill power first?For reverse U do what?I realize i need to dissengage the OD-While still moving??

I installed the solenoid-but not sure if it is correct.Did NOT rotate when installed...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  7. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Todd
    Just trans with gov&solenoid on it.Also have a t cable.Just want to be able to use the OD.Also think i installed that there solenoid wrong-from what i read.hope i can fix it on the car;as i done installed it.

8. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Okay,this is what I read.Use a toggle switch,relay(dpdt),t-cable.What purpose of relay?I want to use a lighted switch so I know when it has power,as a reminder.Will it drop out of OD,if the car slows?If I forget to take it out before a complete stop.Will #12 size wire suffice?

9. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

You need a relay that is triggered by ground.
    The trigger is provided by the governor switch.
    The governor triggers the relay and the relay powers the solenoid.
    The governor will engage OD at 26 MPH and disengage at 23 MPH.

10. Danny,

Send a PM to 1oldtimer. He is very helpful. With the system that he used you are basically putting it into overdrive when you want to as well as taking it out. It seems pretty straightforward. If you look at the OEM wiring diagram you will see the biggest wire is 16 ga. Also the factory used a 9 amp fuse. Todd

11. starliner62

starliner62

I wired mine without a relay. Hot wire to one post on the solenoid. Ground wire from the other post on the solenoid to the governor. The governor grounds at approx. 25mph and excites the solenoid. The cable is pushed in for overdrive, at least on a Studebaker. I haven't wired a kickdown switch yet. I was in a hurry to get on the road for a show so I bypassed that part.

12. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Sorry, but I can't see how that can work, because the solenoid is grounded through its case and not through the second wire. The first terminal on the solenoid is the power and the solenoid will engage when power is applied regardless of whether the second terminal is "grounded". See the schematic posted above, although it is hard to read.

The second terminal on the solenoid is the "engine killer" that runs to the kickdown switch. It momentarily kills the engine for the kickdown to work and will only kill the engine if the OD is engaged, otherwise the engine would stall everytime you floor it.

It's possible that your Studebaker solenoid is different and if so I'd be glad to be corrected on this.

13. Danny,

Here is a schematic I got from my friend Eric (CGKidd). He has used this setup in several cars. He says it allows the the O/D to engage and disengage as designed (around 25mph).However, to manually get out of O/D while driving, let off the gas, flip the toggle switch and step back on the gas. Todd

Attached Files:

14. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Todd,
    Yeah,I don't think I am gonna wire from carbs either.I have 2 2barrel progressive carbs on the side of my 6cylinder:cool:
    Thanks again,
    Danny

15. Well..I wired my chevy pickup with a simple toggle switch from a keyed/fused terminal on the fuse panel to the toggle. Other side of the toggle went to the solenoid to kick it on when I toggled the switch...the end! No more wiring that just that. [make sure you use a keyed circuit or the solenoid will stay on when the engine isn't running, running the battery flat] I also ran a heavy cable to my lever on the O.D. This selects either freewheeling or not.
    I used a 55 chevy car overdrive tranny behind a 292 chevy 6 in a 68 chevy shortbox. Now, let me see if I can remember how I usta shift the damned thing.
    Started out in low gear, no OD. Toggle was turned off and cable was pulled out.[direct drive,no freewheeling]
    I seldom used OD in first gear as the torque multiplication is low gear is so much it can damage the sprag unit in the OD.
    Shift to second in the usual way and while accelerating, I'd push the cable in. Just before I wanted to shift into 2nd/OD, I'd toggle the swtich under load..let off and wair a second. step back on the pedal and itd be in 2nd OD. Accelerate again while toggling the switch back into non-OD and shift into 3rd...accelerate again and toggle the switch in OD under load...let off the gas and wait a second. Bingo...you're in 3rd/overdrive...pull the cable back out [under load, so the engine would brake going down hills or slowing down.
    YOu could do just the opposite going back down the gears. It'd sound like you had 5 gears forward, which you did....6 gears really, if you used OD in first gear. I did sometimes just to make the truck sound like it had a close-ratio tranny in it but I'd feather-foot the gas pedal in 1st/overdrive.
    I sold the truck to my kid and he didn't understand the 1st/overdrive danger and blew the freewheling sprag in about a month of abusing it. He put a 700R-4 in it and totally ruined the driving fun.

16. Danny, How about posting up a pic of your carb setup. There are some hood clearance issues on these cars. I would like to see how you worked it out. Thanks, Todd

17. Also the reason for the relay is to take the load off of the toggle switch so you can run a regular duty toggle and smaller wire inside the cab (same idea behind relays for electric fans). Remember these are used parts and might draw some extra amps then when they were new. I didn't hook up my gov because it's REALLY hilly around here and there's NO way the old 230 will pull hills or a slight grade in o/d. I only use it for freeway and need to get in and out of o/d since there nice traffic here too.

If you wanted to use the full setup you wire up a micro switch (I know not too traditional) on a custom bracket to 1 carb.

18. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Where did YOU put the push/pull OD shifter??Under the colum?To the far left??I'll post a picture of the engine soon.YES,I solved the hood clearance issue using Tom Langdons advice&his carbs....
    Thanks again for all the help:)
    Danny

19. Danny,

Easy answer. If you look at the bottom of the dash directly under the ignition switch you will see 2 small holes about 1" apart. This are where the factory pull handle mounts. Now, on your firewall there should be a small rubber plug that is factory insalled. If you yank this plug out you can put your cable thru it. If you need pics just let me know. Todd

20. PackardV8

PackardV8

No one has heretofore mentioned there are 6v and 12v solenoids as well as 2-wire+relay and 3-wire-no-relay solenoids. They are definitely not interchangeable without the appropriate wiring mods.

jackvines

21. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Can you see the pics?
    1960 BelAir with OD trans:cool:

Attached Files:

22. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

:rolleyes:Couldn't use wayne breather-hood wouldn't close:eek:

23. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Cant use carb kickdown;not enough clearance.Like the idea of a single wire&toggle switch setup like Rocky was talking about.Will #12 wire work?

24. 10g wire would work fine. I still would use a relay just to be safe as those lighted switches are mostly lower amp ones. Mine is from a car and it's in a '64 Chevy panel truck. 10g wire from relay to solenoid, 14g wire from positive on horn relay to new relay (new relay is next to horn relay, where voltage regulator used to be) (Chevy used the horn relay as a junction point from the battery to generator), 14g or 16g to toggle switch.

Here's my set up:
    The parts numbers are for Standard Igntion products.
    [​IMG]

In the picture of the solenoid, it's taken from the bottom so it looks upside down.

Attached Files:

25. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

I have a 20amp lighted switch.Need to track down a ry-4 relay

26. Danny,

The RY-4 is a National number. You can get them at NAPA. Todd

27. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Todd,
    Thanks

28. Danny,

I messed up!! It's a Standard igniton part number. Sorry about that. Todd

29. chillywilly7767

chillywilly7767
    from lancaster

i put a borg warner over drive in my A. with the car in gear i turn the rear wheels but it doesn't engage the trans. help