Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Kirkegaard Merc, 1939 early style custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sledge, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Oh that´s looking mighty fine! Nice to see a slightly more mild approach to one of these, and it really seems to be working out beautifully.

2. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Thanks Rik! givin our short amount of time to get this car finished I dont know if we'll have time to to do the running board treatment but it would be nice! Do you have any detailed images of the the old frame covers sold back in the 40's?

3. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

WOW. Amazing. Nice work!!

4. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

Looking great!! Can't wait to see it here in old DK

5. This gonna be a stunning car and best of all its ending up in this part of the world making it possible to see it live.

6. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

thats a cool idea with the rear window ! love it! i will try that next chop, beats cutting up the frame, hell of an idea.
    thx
    goat

7. Kevin, your work is hard to describe, another car in the best hands!!! I'd like to know if Tim Kirkegaard is a HAMBer, too? the best thing on this one is that i'll see it in person some day! man, can't await it! keep on, Dude!

Carsten

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I think there are more of those cars chopped than stock. I could never cut a stocker like that, maybe I'm a closet restorer. please don't tell anyone.

9. froghawk

froghawk

Perfection! That profile shot with Cad caps on is amazing!

Great idea for the fuzzy dice, too!

10. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

Kevan..i am really happy about Tim's Choice on the style! everybody love a merc chopped like yours and J.B's ..so it takes some thinking to do it in a different style like this!

and fantastic work...you have both the skills and the good eye!

Tim you will end up with a car like no other..

-Palle

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  11. brad2v

brad2v

Very nice stuff sir. Subscribed.

12. draider

draider
    from Texas

Hot damn! Subscribed!

13. Rikster

Rikster

I wish I had any photos of those panels... but I don't have any.

The only thing I have is this ad/postcard.
    But this is clearly not what you want to do with Tim's Merc.

[​IMG]

14. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

Looking good man!

15. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Wow. I really dig it!

16. wow man, just wow. sledge, you are the master of these cars. it's just amazing how these cars go from a just little ugly to amazing with the right chop.

17. AdrianS

AdrianS
    from California

Very cool to see your imagination match your ability with metal. I'd love to see a side by side of the photoshop concept and the real deal when you're finished. Great ideas.

18. nifty

nifty
    from UK

ooffhhh now you got me thinking!
    This is really ticking the boxes for me Kevan. A true classy and subtle custom.
    What a stunning car to have as a starting point, it's mint.

19. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're making it look easy. Following along . . .

20. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

beautiful chop,,,i also like it with no running boards..

39-40 mercs look SOOO much better than stock when chopped,,in my opinion, theres no other car that changes SO drastically by chopping it...one of the few that looks like an almost entire different car after chopping

21. blackout

blackout

Work of art, thanks for the post

22. poorboy

poorboy

Amazing work so far. Can't wait to see the end result!!

23. Drivinford

Drivinford

Thats awsome man, you do such good work.

24. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

Man great work again

25. Another great kustom in the making

26. sled

sled

Classy stuff Kev,love it ...probably i'll send another one up there so we can start experiment more on the subject..it will be fun,eh??

27. Yaril

Yaril

cant wait to see more!

28. DKroadsters

DKroadsters

Thanks Kevan....... for making my long dream come true.

5-6 years ago i saw JB`s 40 Merc and this was the start, i havent seen any car so beautiful before, but this could only be a dream for me...
    I havent even heard of the Matranga Merc, Kevans Merc or the Nachtfalter
    For a long time, Palle my very good friend, have told me to buy a 39-40 merc because he knew that was the car for me, the car i have wanted so much

JB you pushed me over the edge around New Year, you know that for sure.... Kent :))

And suddenly when you look hard enough, the right car just hits you, and this Black Mercury did that to me

Palle, you convinced me, it was the right car with all your custom talk, it is like woodoo to me
    But i wasnt sure if there was any of the few once in Scandinavia that could do a perfect chop even would do that for me, but before i even asked anyone, Palle called me and said that Kevan was doing The Mexicali and he might do another one, so i really looked and looked at Kevan`s own mercury and i had no doubth steering the craftmanship and the eye for Kustoms, that i should ask Kevan

So Kevan.... when we had our talks over the project i knew you where the right guy for helping me with this project

From the start i wanted a Coach built kind of prototype, a Futurama car that Mr. Edsel would have done to show off.......in a carshow, in 1938 or before

Palle and i talked alot about the style of the car and he convinced me to do a slightly different car than the Matranga, kevans and JB´s merc`s, because those chop`s are later in History

I should go Prewar, and this took me some time to swollow that"high" roof

So Palle who knows Rik Hoving very good, told me, i should ask if Rik would help me with some photoshop ideas and this is the best, you can ever do, when starting a project like this.

Rik you have done some fantastic ideas which are very original and still very true to the history, without you i would have done the safe Matranga chop, because i knew this was the safe and perfect way to go.

But Rik, Palle and Kevan you have all convinced me....sometimes i think you 3 make a conspiracy, together behind my back :))...... over the past month, that this chop, is the right way to go

So, it was so nice, to finally take the decision and see the roof down Prewar style and i can allready see, that this is going to be, so fantastic and so so true, to this style of Custom era.

What an eye you have for this Kevan, and i really appreciate the work you are doing.

At the moment i am thinking to leave much of the original mouldings, crests and handles on the car for a Prototype look

It is good to do this thread Kevan, because i was happy to follow the Mexicali as many others and congratulation Sled with your nice car.......

BY THE WAY "SLED" IS LOOKING FOR SOME NICE REAR FENDERS, PLEASE HELP HIM IF YOU KNOW OF SOME

Here is another Rik photoshop

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  29. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

And i never beleived in those woodo dolls!

see you tomorrow!
    -palle

ps: we did talk behind your back ha ha

[​IMG]